Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LionFlyer

Newbie Question: Partial Renovation

Hi,

I am planning to get a resale 4 RM HDB (just MOP unit). I have seen the place and the condition of the reno is still quite ok.

Is it practical to do partial renovation? Basically, as the condition of the kitchen is generally good, I was thinking of skipping the reno there. I am a single and I won't be doing much cooking anyway.

Similarly, is it a good idea to change the aircon as it is just past 5 years? My budget is around 20k excluding furnishings etc. I also don't intend to hack or change the floors and I see my scope as mainly the false ceiling, feature wall (c/w craftstone) and cupboard, 2 x bathrooms (a complete rebuilt), my master bedroom wardrobe.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, you can try my contractor. Just finish reno my 4 room resale flat, hack everything, do tiling, plumbing, rewiring, carpentry work, kitchen cabinet, feature wall, wardrobe, false ceiling and painting. His price is really honest and very very reasonable. I like his workmanship, everything into details! He can help to design too (3D) and all the work + pricing stated very clearly in his quotation.

PM me if you want his contact. Hope this help

Thanks, but I am not looking for contractor. My question is primarily on what I can do or cannot do, and whether to do it now or later. I do not want to talk about the numbers yet.

My view is to put the aircon as the last item on your list, and do only when the quotation for your other items do not exceed your budget. If you do not intent to change the location of the aircon, then I feel there's no real urgency to get them changed, just use till they spoil, then change. That will also ease up the initial damage to the wallet.... :)

Cool. Yeah, aircon to me not so important and my thinking is just get it service and continue to use. But I dunno about kitchen work because it is major. If I do it later, would it be too troublesome?

Yeah, aircon is not the deal breaker here and I think that you should also do the kitchen in hand at the initial attempt of renovation. I am saying this because I had already taken that decision of halting the kitchen work and profusely regretted it later. Kitchen is the not the last thing that you need to worry about, but infact it is the first thing that you should already consider. Rest other things will work out in the end and there's always a way to get them done, but not the kitchen.

I totally agree that kitchen and toilet should be the first thing to do as they are much more dusty. tv console or wardrobe there is not much problem doing it later.

Edited by jeffwei

I totally agree that kitchen and toilet should be the first thing to do as they are much more dusty. tv console or wardrobe there is not much problem doing it later.

Agree... same thoughts. I'm about to embark my reno soon too.

Same here .... we did are reno in two parts .... I thought at first we didn't need some things done, so we didn't do it, and then after we moved in, we decided we needed to. We bought a place only 5 years old and condition was good. We loved the renovations we did, and realised in hindsight that we should have done more, since the old and new didn't really match. We've just (today) finished the second round. It was much harder to manage it all after we moved it .... the dust, the many visits during weekdays by the contractors, etc etc. I would recommend to do it all at once. But, if your kitchen is already fine and you feel you can use it, just leave it! No point to redo, unless it is old / ugly / leaky, etc.