Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

One more thing... The worker also advised that we should paint the kitchen walls instead of leaving them in the cement screed state, because the latter is porous and it would be hard to clean/maintain. We have read on RT that light cookers should not be worried about having cement screed kitchen walls. We're neither heavy nor light cookers. So what should we do? We have also read about cracks but that's not as bad as if the walls were to have uneven patches all over, due to whatever reason....

photo1_zps1183a43f.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

So is the "mountain" very visible cos of the two slopes? Heh

About concrete plastered walls in kitchen - I have one that is adjacent to my cooking area so it does sort of get splattered.

Have to be quite judicious about cleaning with a general purpose soapy cleaning wipe (those disposable types) soon after cooking.

It removes most of the stains but not completely - definitely got some residue and probably will build up as more cooking is done.

It's part and parcel of having a cool concrete look!

Cracks are inevitable as it becomes dryer. But really gives the look a lot of character.

After some time, I may consider to coat with an epoxy or resin to make it stain resistant. See how la.

So is the "mountain" very visible cos of the two slopes? Heh

About concrete plastered walls in kitchen - I have one that is adjacent to my cooking area so it does sort of get splattered.

Have to be quite judicious about cleaning with a general purpose soapy cleaning wipe (those disposable types) soon after cooking.

It removes most of the stains but not completely - definitely got some residue and probably will build up as more cooking is done.

It's part and parcel of having a cool concrete look!

Cracks are inevitable as it becomes dryer. But really gives the look a lot of character.

After some time, I may consider to coat with an epoxy or resin to make it stain resistant. See how la.

LOL. Ain't got any mountain! Good thing the workers worked this out for us without much fuss. We got lucky there.

Thanks for sharing about your wall. Would it better for us to coat the wall from the start? We once asked Alan about it and he said all they would do is to apply a layer of varnish. Is that as good as epoxy or resin? Perhaps not?

Hmmm. Very tough decision.

If the cooker hob is right in front of concrete plaster wall, definitely higher chance of it getting stained over time. And if u r particular about keeping that wall pristine, then give serious consideration about coating it with varnish or epoxy.

However the wall will become darker and more yellow brown in colour ie less grey. Someone blogged about doing epoxy for their concrete screed floor - it's a minimalist home. U gotta search for it in this forum!

The walls in my entire wet kitchen is cement screed (sans the backsplash, that's tile) :D

My contractor did paint a layer of waterproofing on top of it though, matt clear finish so it still retains the cool look of the cement finish.

Yes, there have been some fine lines/cracks appearing in barely under a year, but all part and parcel of the look.

(for that matter, the walls in my toilets are cement screed too haha)

Hmmm. Very tough decision.

If the cooker hob is right in front of concrete plaster wall, definitely higher chance of it getting stained over time. And if u r particular about keeping that wall pristine, then give serious consideration about coating it with varnish or epoxy.

However the wall will become darker and more yellow brown in colour ie less grey. Someone blogged about doing epoxy for their concrete screed floor - it's a minimalist home. U gotta search for it in this forum!

There's tile backsplash behind the hob. No top cabinets but the wall above the tiles can be painted. It is the opposite wall that we thought we could have it concrete. Decisions! But meanwhile, there's a crisis with a wall somewhere else. :angry2:

The walls in my entire wet kitchen is cement screed (sans the backsplash, that's tile) :D

My contractor did paint a layer of waterproofing on top of it though, matt clear finish so it still retains the cool look of the cement finish.

Yes, there have been some fine lines/cracks appearing in barely under a year, but all part and parcel of the look.

(for that matter, the walls in my toilets are cement screed too haha)

Hi and thanks for sharing! Fine lines and cracks are ok, I guess. Have you seen any blotches yet? Do you cook often?

Have you tried washing the walls in your toilets?

Visited the flat earlier this evening and saw that wall plastering works is almost completed. THEN... we spotted something amiss. Do you see it? This is a photo of the new doorway opening between my master bedroom and bedroom 3. First it was hacked, then made good, then plastered.

photo_zpsa5bf0d0a.jpg

Edited by inthechouse

The wall next to the window isn't straight? Looks like its tapering downwards. How does Alan intend to resolve this issue? I suppose he'll have to do more plastering (at his cost or course).

The wall next to the window isn't straight? Looks like its tapering downwards. How does Alan intend to resolve this issue? I suppose he'll have to do more plastering (at his cost or course).

That's right. Well for sure, we are not disputing the fact that there's some structural flaw here. We just want to know if it's possible for the plastering or whatever to rectify it a little. So we told Alan about it and I think he thinks we're harping on the strutural flaw.

- First, he said they plastered that wall according to the water level. And that's the right thing to do.

- Then we asked if he could meet us today at the site to discuss. He was fine with meeting but just not today. He wanted to meet up only when the plumbers are coming in (next phase), perhaps to kill two birds with one stone. Since the wall guys would've left by then, we did not want an indefinite date to meet.

- Next, he asked us not to worry because they know what they are doing. He said they can still do touch up.

- Then, we said we've never doubted their professionalism, but we would just like to know when we can meet up to discuss this in person.

- He said he has made himself clear that they will still do some plastering. They cannot do "100% workmanship" if there's structural flaws. If we don't believe, we can call HDB to ask why is the wall uneven.

- At this point, it was even more obvious that not discussing this in person is a big mistake. He still thinks we don't believe that there's a flaw.

- Still no date and time to meet.

- He ranted on a little about how from now on they will ask us before they do anything. Not sure how this applies to the situation. Would it have helped if we had been standing there watching the guys plaster that wall?

- The conversation ended with him saying he will let us know when to meet.

Old flats have such problems. Quite normal. Just ensure door open and close with no problem

Unfortunately true. As we are installing a sliding door here, there is no frame required. Do you reckon they would cement or plaster up the frame properly if we were using a classic door? Would the frame even fit in this opening?