Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

Tried all weekend to get info of when the cabinets and wardrobe will be installed, but Alan couldn't give an anwser. I decided to ring Ah Gui the carpenter this morning (good to obtain and store their numbers), and he said "today and tomorrow". He also requested that I go select the handles from a catalogue today before they knock off. Super short notice, as always. But thank goodness I work nearby and have no meetings lined up for today. Will pop by during lunch hour. :thumbs up:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi intheechouse, And since they can't measure until the cabinets are up -- this seems to be true because my contractor also told me the same thing. as such i will move in with all my items this saturday and my granite top will come in later. this is no fault of anyone because my contractor did tell me the handover is not possible by this week.

would it be less dramatic if you coordinated everything from here on with Ah Gui? I've learnt a few times in life that to maintain my sanity, best to get my hands dirty for a short while, and never have to deal with some folks ever again.

My vote for the iQuartz goes to Sedimen Tario - looks unique compared to the other 2.

if it doesn't work out for the cement screed wall, please PM me. my father used to be a painter on a ship and he's my go-to man for painting advice. meanwhile, is there any way you can place an item to cover up the patch? It looks fairly low so I can't suggest a clock or anything.

hi intheechouse, And since they can't measure until the cabinets are up -- this seems to be true because my contractor also told me the same thing. as such i will move in with all my items this saturday and my granite top will come in later. this is no fault of anyone because my contractor did tell me the handover is not possible by this week.

would it be less dramatic if you coordinated everything from here on with Ah Gui? I've learnt a few times in life that to maintain my sanity, best to get my hands dirty for a short while, and never have to deal with some folks ever again.

My vote for the iQuartz goes to Sedimen Tario - looks unique compared to the other 2.

if it doesn't work out for the cement screed wall, please PM me. my father used to be a painter on a ship and he's my go-to man for painting advice. meanwhile, is there any way you can place an item to cover up the patch? It looks fairly low so I can't suggest a clock or anything.

Hi mellenur, I'm ok to move in without the counter top, as long as I am informed properly. Not sure what's going on now. Will definitely ask Ah Gui when I see him later. Agree with you about getting our hands dirty and never have to deal with some folks ever again. Can't wait. By the way, is it possible for the hob to up and running without the counter top? Haha. Was advised by the shifu to boil water on the stove (not using a kettle) on the big day.

Thanks for the suggestion! Appreciate it.

And thanks too, about the cement screed wall. Actually, we're hoping to find out what is the exact name and brand of the matte finishing, so we can purchase it at the store and pay someone to do the job. Would you be able to find out for me, please? Checked with a few friends and they don't know the details, coz their contractors/IDs did an awesome job without them having to lift a finger. Called up one of their IDs and he couldn't tell us much as it was done by his awesome sub-con. Checked with a paint shop near Sim Lim and they suggested a red and yellow tin of lacquer by the brand of Kangaroo.

But yeah, the area is pretty low... and that space is meant to be a clear walkway from the living room to the end of the kitchen. Also, the little furry one's dining spot may be right below that patch (middle of the wall) so it will be tough to place something there that's tall enough. :(

Hey Mellenur, you're using Mr Yeak if i'm not wrong right? I thought he's good =/

Time for quartz-shopping. I've reminded Alan many times about this, and he said was, since I wanted iQuartz, which is a company he has not worked with, he doesn't know how long they will take to measure and install. It could be up to 2 weeks. And since they can't measure until the cabinets are up (or so he says), we got a little worried.

When we last met, Alan brilliantly chucked this on my lap by saying, "you wanted iQuartz right? you're ordering it on your own right?" When the **** did I say that? If I am so capable of doing such things I would've ordered everything myself, and probably even be my own main con. So I said no, it's included in your quote, and you agreed to get it for me. I am only going to get samples. Then he said, "since you are going to get samples, why don't you ask them to come measure?" ???? Now it's MY job? And in any case, the tiny iQuartz outlet in Shaw Balestier is unmanned. Some of you would know that it's just a counter, some samples and a CCTV.

He then asked us to consider Evershine, which I believe is the company he used. But the price he quoted for this is higher than what he quoted for iQuartz right at the beginning when I ensured he was ok with using iQuartz before I signed on the dotted line.

Anyway, we decided to call iQuartz and ask if it's true that they may take up to 2 weeks to fabricate and install. The guy said 4-5 days, depending on stock availability. I conveyed that to Alan, and asked him to call this guy (name + number provided). Not sure if he did. I just texted Alan to ask for updates, and he has yet to reply. Time is ticking, dude.

dgsfbgf_zps87a6eb3e.jpg

Here's a screenshot from iQuartz's gallery. At first we wanted iPure, but a few friends have told me that white counter top, no matter of what material, is terribly tough to maintain. So we decided to get a white laminate (Lamitak) for the kitchen cabinets, and choose a grey or black counter top. The laminate part was easy, but the iQuartz options are a bit of a headache. All 3 highlighted above are nice (to us) and I can't decide!

Just curious how much you were quoted for iQuartz? Have you considered using Caesarstone?

Hi AnW, Alan quoted $110/psfr for iQuartz (selected colours only). He said it's $160 and up for Caesarstone, and that's too high for us.

P.S: We tried going to iQuartz directly before. They quoted $200. :blink::huh:

Edited by inthechouse

Hi AnW, Alan quoted $110/psfr for iQuartz (selected colours only). He said it's $160 and up for Caesarstone, and that's too high for us.

Yup thats why i asked. I went to both direct and Casesarstone actually quoted me lower than iQuartz :notti:

160-180 for Caesarstone and up to 200 for iquartz. Both are not cheap in my opinion. But for the same price range i would rather get Caesarstone which is much more reputable. The samples i requested from Caesarstone was delivered to my office within a short notice while I've been waiting for weeks for my iquartz sample and still no news! :curse:

160-180 for Caesarstone and up to 200 for iquartz. Both are not cheap in my opinion. But for the same price range i would rather get Caesarstone which is much more reputable. The samples i requested from Caesarstone was delivered to my office within a short notice while I've been waiting for weeks for my iquartz sample and still no news! :curse:

Wow. Good and prompt customer service is rare these days. Let's see what Alan says then. I'm not sure if it's quote still applies now. I'm supposed to go grab more samples from the Balestier shop but I've not found the time. :(

Hmm, I was quoted 160 for some china quartz by Alan. Not sure if that's a mistake. On the contract he stated iquartz (160psf), but installation is another brand...

Hmm, I was quoted 160 for some china quartz by Alan. Not sure if that's a mistake. On the contract he stated iquartz (160psf), but installation is another brand...

Yeah he has mentioned his China quartz before. I will update here on the final amount once the whole thing is confirmed and finalized.

Some pix taken today. Ah Gui and his team have started work. So far everything's lookin' fine, except that the vanity cabinet is a lot "slimmer" than I had expected. Basically, after you mount the rectangular basin on top, there's only 1 inch behind it and 1 inch before it. Don't have a photo of this now though.

P.S: Still chasing and waiting for solid surface catalogue from Alan. Failing which, is it safe to just say "use white"?

1891241_10152101153941865_978735435_n_zp

Don't we all love a huge sink? :jammin:

1653309_10152101153996865_1794459778_n_z

No WIW for me. I'm highly allergic to dust, and, frankly speaking, we won't be able to keep the contents nice and neat.

1619617_10152101154036865_1513670872_n_z

Choice of laminates: Lamitak Loft and Lamitak Dario Ramblas. Nice and simple.

photo1_zps0b46c968.jpg

The tiling/masonry guy was there to lay the entrance tile. He said he will touch up the grout lines everywhere this Saturday. He couldn't do it today because of the carpentry works in the kitchen and bedroom.

Also, I found out that you can't use the stove without the counter top mounted. Reason explained to me: The counter top folks would need to remove the stove when they mount the surface. I am guessing the stove won't be fully functioning before that.

Anticipating some kind of cleaning this Thursday, when some of my furniture arrives. Feeling pretty fatigued by now but we've gotta soldier on.

The only thing which took place this week was the installation of windows. We decided to sub this job out so we were sourcing around for quotes for white powder coated aluminium sliding and casement windows. As tiling would be commencing soon, we were in a bit of a hurry to have them installed. Most of the windows contractor we spoke to could not start with a few days' notice, but one was very responsive and eager. His pricing was reasonably low too, given that he is the boss of his own factory. A quick search online produced 2-3 posts by people who have used his services. They were all satisfied customers.

Here's a photo of the end results. There is a mark on the glass panes which says "Made in United Arab Emirates". The boss said he will get his men to come clean off all the marks, including some black stuff on the frames. We shall wait and see.

photo_zpsd4c29138.jpg

White powder coated aluminium sliding and casement windows with clear glass. The frames are lighter than what is installed in my current 27-year-old flat, but apparently this is pretty standard these days. The other option is to pay about $800-1K more for the heavier frames (as quoted by Alan).

Apart from this, I saw that the new wooden door frames have been delivered. Alan updated me that tiling will commence mid next week. We intend to be present, of course. That's it for now.

Photo12-12-13124400PM_zps3461273b.jpg

Hacked off the existing metal door frames as they were of uneven height.

Hi inthechouse,

Can PM me your window contact? Is the product in good quality? TIA

Hi inthechouse,

Can PM me your window contact? Is the product in good quality? TIA

Hi, I've not moved in yet so I don't really know for sure. However, last month, the boss MIA-ed midway during the discussion stage with someone I shared his number with. So I don't think I will continue recommending him. You can contacting the famous Alex on Renotalk? See here.

We've been asking Alan for the longest time about the black grout lines for our kitchen subway tiles. All he and his workers could say was that it would not be dark nor even, because that's the way it is. Weeks after the lines have dried, we realized that they've not only smudged, they could be rubbed off with a finger, resulting in a faint grey line. We asked Alan again, and he said there's nothing much they could do.

Until I found this pic online and showed it to him. Now he's saying they will "try" to improve on it. We shall wait and see.

photo_zpsbefdde92.jpg