Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
g0mug0mu

Scandi Home 4 Room Bto

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thank you Makan for your support.. I have decided to stop thinking about the SMEG.

Looks like a even longer journey to START the the renovation.

Hi, just posted a list of IDs I would recommend. Maybe you can contact them for a quote. :)

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/63160-a-canvas-to-our-imagination-thoreau/

Thanks inthechouse! I have sent one of them my requirement but not sure how keen I am and how keen they are.

4 more ID we have contacted last week; pending the previous to amend their quotations.

1. Mr K Contractor
  2. Sunny Lim Contractor
  3. L***** from Distinct
  4. The Design Practice

Is it the new year rush or is it me all the contractors suddenly stop working. they are not very fast this month :(

I would like to get some quotes from contractors as reference as it seems that they are too busy... Can anyone help?

*I am joking about the SMEG. Luckily my wife and me have similar good taste.

Colonial hood anyone?

http://www.smeg.sg/product/ka1va2/

Edited by g0mug0mu

The Sylvanian Families Toy Cabinet is taken from Takashimaya :P

The full height toy cabinet is from either D'Planner or Summit's webpage.

Forgot to mention, I am from Foliage too and we have the EXACT same layout. Can exchange ideas too!

Been following your blog too :)

Anyway, we were trying to just find a ''cheap" ID to do our carpentry as well as provide FREE 3d drawings etc. At least our out of this world ideas have some guarantee that it wont look bad.. Mr K I believe is similar to some of the ID's price?

Anyway was thing of getting some lights from Tao Bao; any sites you find good?

Less Talk, more Pictures; One good Idea from ID

BARNYARD DOOR

11174571834_3dc4ac7433.jpg

Our Ideas:

SUBWAY TILES

11175003543_571b06fd51.jpg

11174525754_3f3e8b3584.jpg

CRAFT ROOM

11174797786_efacd54fbd.jpg

Hmm, I also suspect this is a neighbour from Foliage. let me guess, 452a/ 451b?

:)

The Sylvanian Families Toy Cabinet is taken from Takashimaya :P

The full height toy cabinet is from either D'Planner or Summit's webpage.

Forgot to mention, I am from Foliage too and we have the EXACT same layout. Can exchange ideas too!

Been following your blog too :)

Anyway, we were trying to just find a ''cheap" ID to do our carpentry as well as provide FREE 3d drawings etc. At least our out of this world ideas have some guarantee that it wont look bad.. Mr K I believe is similar to some of the ID's price?

Anyway was thing of getting some lights from Tao Bao; any sites you find good?

Less Talk, more Pictures; One good Idea from ID

BARNYARD DOOR

Sorry to only notice now that you are a neighbour of mine. :good::good:

Did you get sorted out with Mr K?

Mr K is also doing another project at 451B. He should be at FF more frequently than he should be so it should be easy to meet up with him. :)

Mr K is doing a similiar sliding door which looks like that for 800

1457477_585739228128417_281877986_n.jpg

Thanks for dropping by to my blog. Really excited to see how urs will looks like especially when u have the same layout as mine. :good:

Edited by plainsharon

@plainsharon

Wow.. Thanks for showing me that! Was really tempted to ship the door from US :P

The door doesn't look epic enough as I will be featuring it in my living room ;p

I will be at this moment built a wall to separate into Dining/Living area and combined the living room and bedroom 2

Hmm, I also suspect this is a neighbour from Foliage. let me guess, 452a/ 451b?

Yes you are right... Didnt know how to change the topic once I have set it..

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Have you settled on your contractor yet? Since this is a busy time of the year for IDs/Contractors, you may wish to wait till they're more settled before talking to them. But waiting is hard I understand, getting started on the renos can be a very exciting yet tiring/stressful process.

Will stay tuned to your updates. Good luck!

Import the barnyard door from the US! It looks stunning. Show stopper and worth the $$

Thanks for the support! Will do just that.

Have you settled on your contractor yet? Since this is a busy time of the year for IDs/Contractors, you may wish to wait till they're more settled before talking to them. But waiting is hard I understand, getting started on the renos can be a very exciting yet tiring/stressful process.

Will stay tuned to your updates. Good luck!

Thank you.

Its going very slowly and cheaper ID = less follow up.

We only taking carpentry and 3D from the ID; hence the low interest from many of the ID firms I contacted to begin with.

Been taken to Pinterest and reading the t-blogs during this idle time :) of which we have so much information that we don't really need an "ID".

On the other hand, our ideas are in the 'wild' so just want an ID to coordinate the design (which might blow the budget). Our original plan was that if we cant successfully negotiate down ~10% from our preferred ID; we just hum-tum a contractor.

But my mistake is that we thought contractor might be find to do only carpentry since no need 'click', see quotation and just do.

But NONE replied after the initial greetings/sending my requirements.

But my mistake is that we thought contractor might be find to do only carpentry since no need 'click', see quotation and just do.

But NONE replied after the initial greetings/sending my requirements.

Actually carpentry can be the biggest chunk of the reno bill depending on how much built in you're doing, which could explain why some contractors want to take up that part of the job as well. My ID/contractor didn't mind me using my carpenter, so if you want to pay him a visit to see if you çlick', do let me know.

Now I am tired out and sleepless from the ID process

After contacting so many ID.

1. Summit Design - Good Attitude but ideas template. No meet up to take design requirements, no talk
  2. D'Planner - Good attitude, patient. I would recommend if simple design. But See Number 1 (met but no design requirement)
  3. Intradesign - No breakdown no talk. See Number 1
  4. Sunny contractor - No action after email-SMS reminder-email
  5. Mr K - See Number 4
  6. Linewerkz - See post 1
  7. Conceptwerke - Manage to squeeze within budget stretch our budget and had to revise 4 TIMES as quotation was vague (non of the other IDs had this issue).. Good vision but impractical but good ideas but lack of experience but patient but... Amazingly, contactable to meet during X'mas eve and New Year's Day weekend... I dont know to be impress that she replied our 5-15 liner queries 3 times over email/whatsapp/phone or not impress because we there are so many things to question the quote/design on... (Whats your take?)
  8. Prozfile - Decide not to meet after reading forum; took long to reply
  9. star star - Was at IMM and talk to ID; see number 1 (we met but no take design requirements)
  10. oblique interiors - emailed but dropped for unknown reason
  11. Artist Room - No reply
  12. Dwell - No reply
  13. D I aka star star - Amazing portfolio. Feature a lot on home and deco magazine(Guess?).

Met on Saturday at 4pm but their office was closing;

To save us time; talk at bullet speed during requirements taking.

Help us save more time by quoting at bullet speed.

*lights off-ing in the background

*Colleague: excuse me, may I take your last order please?

(Ok... the last line is fake).

Granted; her ideas is modern/Scandinavian and I imagined many people would have distinctly signed. They showed us 3D drawing; mood board and detail quote within 2+ weeks. I was impressed but wifey did not heard a word(she has an amazing auto-filter for nonsense).

Just our luck as ID had an emergency home emergency as she need to go to visit the hospital.

Would have confirmed Number 7 if not for the long drag about the quote which gave us time to scroll 1000-2000+ pinterest excessively day and night. find 2 more IDs from pinterest.. The last last contenders..

1. Design Practice - Main guy had difficulty meeting me over the past 3 weeks(Paternal leave) but pass to another designer (good reviews from inthechouse). Fingers cross!
  2. JQ Ong - Weekend meetup: 11am slot. Super busy, almost fully book almost every day. Yummy portfolio (Booking thru his administrator; like doctor who gives 2 day MC)
  3. Fuse concept - If they reply
Edited by g0mug0mu

Oh my~ you have yet to meet up with Mr K? I guess he is busy clearing projects on hand as well. But after chinese new year will definitely be not so rush for him.

You are meeting him in mid jan still?

Oh my~ you have yet to meet up with Mr K? I guess he is busy clearing projects on hand as well. But after chinese new year will definitely be not so rush for him.

You are meeting him in mid jan still?

I think I gave up on him and the others who too busy to reply!

So far, quite happy with the ID we met today! So we have an alternative besides breaking the bank.

No mood to post pics as much as I wanted to... Will make me 'gian' and I have no ID. Yet.

Good things comes to all who wait!!!! *pull hair..

I think I gave up on him and the others who too busy to reply!

So far, quite happy with the ID we met today! So we have an alternative besides breaking the bank.

No mood to post pics as much as I wanted to... Will make me 'gian' and I have no ID. Yet.

Good things comes to all who wait!!!! *pull hair..

Definitely an important point for new homeowners to take note of. Regardless of the amount of positive feedback, if you feel that the contractor/ID has difficulty clicking with you or that they are showing the "ai mai, ai mai, bo chup" attitude with their responsiveness even at this early stage, the safest bet is always to drop them. Edited by mavicaste

Definitely an important point for new homeowners to take note of. Regardless of the amount of positive feedback, if you feel that the contractor/ID has difficulty clicking with you or that they are showing the "ai mai, ai mai, bo chup" attitude with their responsiveness even at this early stage, the safest bet is always to drop them.

That's right! Thats why number 7 still in the running despite lack of experience and v v v expensive. Totally focus on answering our requests and on-the-ball. I am impressed with the carpentry from number 7 during the site visit.

Good things comes to those who wait. Its true!

14. Design Practice -

Thou okay to talk to; did not offer much ideas. Their port-folio looks great and they sincere. Most likely dropped :P

15. JQ Ong -

Our appointment got delayed from 11 to 1130 to 12 to 1220 eventually. Totally unforgivable, I would have left. By luck, just as we were hailing a cab, they called. Our discussion were limited to 40mins as someone else was waiting at 1pm. But JQ was very creative. I am impressed. (they have a SMEG in their office and recycled pipings and crates for their customers to save $$ and good design)

Most excited about their ideas but JQ will not be our designer, he will only QC his designer's work.

Shortlisted - Most Looking forward.

16. Fuse concept - Met Thomas. Sincere chap and have good ideas. But lack a WOW(For my personal taste, but they are good - visit their portfolio and its really good). Saw that he has done many projects and experience in way he talks. Able to trust my reno to him.

Shortlisted - Hopefully able to WOW us with his layout.

Finally, we have choices. Notice that these smaller companies do suit our style more. They are more attentive and able to accommodate our

Those shortlisted are able to

1. Offer or even happy to work with our family's for electrical, plumbing, hacking and tiling. Seem happy as they are free to hack and have more creative room.
  2. Small companies perhaps so more attentive as they don't get as much leads for customer (I think)
  3. Talk more about design instead of cost/materials/pricing
  4. Think out of the box in space planning

Must. Sign. Before. CNY.

I cant wait to start... I should have 7-8 quotes after next week.

Have keyed in every quote into spreadsheet to compare items psf and quality etc.

Plan is to compile a (easy to read) table and post for future reno-talkers reference once the renovation blows over :)

For those of you who made it reading through my rant, thanks for dropping by!