Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
saintinity

5-Room Near The Reservoir

I told the contractor we are in no rush, as we only intend to move in my end Feb. Didn't want to rush them and compromise workmanship. Though he did mention that we can probably have in before CNY.

I'm also getting my key only around Feb. So can "escape" CNY otherwise people are going to crash in!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Long time no update! Simply because I am too busy lazy and that progress were slow. Alan had other houses which needed to be handed over before CNY so thought I shall not add on the extra pressure and let him take his time on mine.

Over the last month, the painting was done. We wanted the whole house to be white - and because there were too many types of white in the catalogue (we used Dulux), we chose this off-white color that was nearest to the color of our copier paper. Thought that wouldn't go wrong. But when we arrived at the house after the paint job was done, to our horror, the off white was more cold than warm. After a few coats, it became more of a baby blue than white. While the tone was similar to the catalogue's, it was too blue in real life probably because of the number of coatings. Photo:

painting_zps27bfc9fc.jpg

In the end, we told the painters we won't choose from the catalogue and just paint the same white as the ceiling. They were kind enough to help us repaint it.

Then comes the lighting - which I think makes the whole difference. Mostly bought from TB.

lighting_zpsab3e1fd4.jpg

When the carpenter gave us a copy of the EDL laminate swatch, we were spoilt for choice! But because our TV feature wall/storage is a long 16ft width, we wanted horizontal woodgrain pattern and there weren't many of those. Mostly vertical. So I had to meet him again to get copies from other brands too. We decided on Lamitak. I even took the time to visit Lamitak showroom to see the actual size piece, and also to confirm that the woodgrain is horizontal.

laminates_zps7bb8ea9b.jpg

After a good 2 weeks of choosing our laminates, we were actually kinda way off the initial design. Hence I redrew the perspective just to make sure the carpenter got the right colors.

Here's the TV wall.

TVfeaturewall-Final_zps8ae9d208.jpg

And the kitchen.

Kitchen-Final_zps62787dbb.jpg

Edited by saintinity

When the carpenter gave us a copy of the EDL laminate swatch, we were spoilt for choice! But because our TV feature wall/storage is a long 16ft width, we wanted horizontal woodgrain pattern and there weren't many of those. Mostly vertical. So I had to meet him again to get copies from other brands too. We decided on Lamitak. I even took the time to visit Lamitak showroom to see the actual size piece, and also to confirm that the woodgrain is horizontal.

laminates_zps7bb8ea9b.jpg

After a good 2 weeks of choosing our laminates, we were actually kinda way off the initial design. Hence I redrew the perspective just to make sure the carpenter got the right colors.

Here's the TV wall.

TVfeaturewall-Final_zps8ae9d208.jpg

And the kitchen.

Kitchen-Final_zps62787dbb.jpg

Nice Reno Saintinity :thumbs up: Your contractor is the famous Alan?

Before the carpentry came in, our Suar wood table and benches from Bali arrived! But not after 2-3 weeks of lead time, they had to polish, laquer, crate, ship to Surabaya then to Singapore. The custom clearance amount was a lot more than I expected :/ 3 crates worth 300KG! Really pity the poor logistics guys carrying the crates 2 stairs down.

shipment_zps7fc5b672.jpg

Before uncrating

suarwoodtable_zps620a64c4.jpg

and here it is after uncrating! there are 2 other benches not in picture.

The guys accidentally drop the crate and their tools during the uncrating and chipped my tiles a bit :( no choice, just have to close one eye. Still worth it though, love our dining set!

Just an interesting share, the craftsmen at the Suar wood workshop gave a quick share on caring and maintaining real wood furniture. We cannot lacquer every inch of the wood, because the wood will be "trapped" and cannot breathe. Not being able to breathe will result them to bloat and rot as time goes. That is why our wooden doors are usually not painted/lacquered at the top, just so wood can breath!

Edited by saintinity

So finally been waiting for the day for the carpentry to move in!

carpentrymovein_zps5b0858af.jpg

Below photos are our TV console/feature wall/storage at work. 16ft long for lots of storage for the family of hoarders. We chose a really light wood grain laminate so as to keep the space light and airy. Figure if we chose a dark wood laminate, the space will look tiny and intimidating. We also asked to add groove lines so as to add a little bit of design detail. Also spec for each door to be approximately 800mmW, bigger than usual, so that we can have as little joint lines as possible.

tvconsole1_zpsdaabba2d.jpg

tvconsole2_zps0bdd25e6.jpg

Really happy with the workmanship too! Just a little misalignment on the doors and the shelves are supposed to be adjustable track but I guess we can always add them later.

suarwoodtable_zps620a64c4.jpg

and here it is after uncrating! there are 2 other benches not in picture.

The guys accidentally drop the crate and their tools during the uncrating and chipped my tiles a bit :( no choice, just have to close one eye. Still worth it though, love our dining set!

I like your attitude. Nice table! Did you buy online or in person in Bali?

I like your attitude. Nice table! Did you buy online or in person in Bali?

Bought it in person. Wasn't actually planning to buy a Suar wood table. Initially decide on the tables from Hommage but chanced upon the suar wood furniture shop in bali by the road side so asked the driver to stop. Really lucky!

The kitchen cabinets were also in together with the TV wall.

Chose a laminate that looks a little bit more raw. My sis bf came by and asked me how come it was unfinished haha

kitchencabinet_zpse7f0c694.jpg

On the day the kitchen cabinets were installed, the granite top contractor came down to take actual measurements. They have them installed 2 days after. Impressed with their efficiency :good:

Initially we were going for quartz top due to budget. But Alan told us the black galaxy was on sale so we can have it for the same price as quartz top. Score! So we went ahead with the black galaxy and changed the color scheme to fit. It was actually white quartz top and dark brown laminates. Really love the granite top.

kitchencabinet2_zps85ffd54b.jpg

All that is left is the glass backwash. The glass contractor came down to measure them yesterday and can only have them installed next week because the glass needs to be tempered. Guess I can live without a glass back wash for a couple of days.

All works that are left with are the doors and paint touch up, which should all be carried out today.

WE ARE MOVING IN TOMORROW! We have a lot of stuff (hence the big TV storage wall) and gotten a few movers to quote. They were all in the range of 1$300~$1600 range. In the end we appointed the Helping Hands as their quote was below $1000, but it'll still depend how many trips they make tomorrow.

A good 3 months of renovation! Thankful that the whole journey was smooth sailing!

Here's a photo of our balcony. Used craftstone feature wall and wooden vertical partition. Loving our bird cage lights!

balcony_zps1b949c02.jpg

My mum is a green thumb so we are expecting a lot more plants to fill up the balcony.

very nice! :good:

Here's a photo of our balcony. Used craftstone feature wall and wooden vertical partition. Loving our bird cage lights!

balcony_zps1b949c02.jpg

My mum is a green thumb so we are expecting a lot more plants to fill up the balcony.