Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cookie0511

At Last, A Haven Of Thine Own!

I recently bought a 5-room flat at Bedok Reservoir under the singles' scheme as a bachelorette pad, with the intention of making it my matrimonial home for my future family. I fell in love with this flat the moment I saw it because not only is it 126 square metres in size, the current owner has renovated it very nicely, complete with full marble flooring throughout the flat (except the kitchen where it has a laminated flooring), a black and white theme living room (with a TV station), and a black and white theme kitchen (with cabinets).
Hence I will probably not be re-doing the living room and kitchen. I will probably just be repainting the walls, doing up the master bedroom and both the bathrooms.
Since this is the first time I have my own abode, and since I have never lived in a HDB flat before, I have no idea how to renovate. My plan is to have a walk-in wardrobe leading to the bathroom in the master bedroom, bathtub, and then shower screen in the common bathroom, with rain shower sets for both bathrooms. I would also like frosted glass doors (that can be pulled out or pushed in) for the bathroom doors.
I would like an open concept kitchen, or at least a bar counter. And a glass partition to separate the living room and balcony. Currently the balcony is an extension of the living room, and I would like to remove the windows and just put blinds over the grilles.
The wall in between bedrooms 2 and 3, I would like to have a floor to ceiling bookshelf built, preferably with a hidden outer door that can slide open but when it's closed, it looks like just part of the wall.
So far, I have spoken to 3 renovators, and all said my ideas couldn't work. According to the renovators, first, the master bedroom is too small for a walk in wardrobe, although I beg to differ because this is one of the biggest master bedrooms I have seen for a HDB. Second, the master bathroom is also too small for a bathtub.
Third, the wall separating the other 2 bedrooms are not supposed to have any blockage otherwise the doorways will be blocked. Fourth, my kitchen is structured in such a way that open concept is not feasible.
The thing is I have seen other flats and they are able to have all the ideas I wanted. So I am not sure is it because I am just being too impractical, or idealistic, or unreasonable, or is the renovator just not willing to comply with my requests?
Any of you "experienced" people out there have any suggestions?
Anyway, here is a plan of my flat. (New to this so not sure if the image manages to come up).

Floor Plan (display)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Your contractors are not wrong, your requests are a little far fetch and will come with compromise.

First, if you squeeze in a WIW in the MBR, you have to do with a super single bed.

Queen size may be too congested. Layout wise, have to brain storm a bit, but WIW will also be small and not as expected.

Second, if you really want a bathtub, then you have to relocate toilet door to the other side.

Seal up the existing door and this space created can be use for a tub.

Then again, you may have to settle for a small tub say 1.2m in length.

Third, I believe it can be done, just a matter of how much is the depth of the shelves as well as when it comes with doors.

Fourth, an open concept kitchen must "open" to some where.

In all HDB cases, will be the living/dining area.

In your case, couldnt be open to the corridor right???

interesting layout.....time to be creative :D

Hi getzski,

Nice to "see" a neighbour here.

I actually much prefer your layout. When I viewed the flat it didn't give me the feeling that it's "crooked", only that it's big and spacious. But when I saw the layout, my first thought was, "OMG!" I guess because my block happens to be kind of a "L" shape and my flat happens to be at the "curve" of the L, hence this kind of layout. :rolleyes:

So any ideas how to renovate?? :idea:

Your contractors are not wrong, your requests are a little far fetch and will come with compromise.

First, if you squeeze in a WIW in the MBR, you have to do with a super single bed.

Queen size may be too congested. Layout wise, have to brain storm a bit, but WIW will also be small and not as expected.

Second, if you really want a bathtub, then you have to relocate toilet door to the other side.

Seal up the existing door and this space created can be use for a tub.

Then again, you may have to settle for a small tub say 1.2m in length.

Third, I believe it can be done, just a matter of how much is the depth of the shelves as well as when it comes with doors.

Fourth, an open concept kitchen must "open" to some where.

In all HDB cases, will be the living/dining area.

In your case, couldnt be open to the corridor right???

Hi OceanEleven

Thanks for your 2 cents worth!

One contractor I met did tell me if I want a WIW, then I have to sacrifice the bathtub. Upon thinking, well, I guess I can do without the bathtub because I realise the extra cleaning needed if I am to have one. So he says in that case, he will build a WIW next to the bathroom, and it has to be a small one. I guess that's fine since it'll only be enough for my stuff, being a typical female and all. :P

In this case, I can even fit in a king-size bed next to the window, with 2 side tables. TV console will have integrated cabinets at the side on the wall at the "long" side of the bathroom. Because the WIW is going to be small, there can't be a dressing table, so he will build one dressing table for me on the solid wall next to the bed, with the dressing table being integrated such a way that one side is the dressing table, the other side is a study desk cum laptop table, with shelves and cabinets on top.

And so I have the other wall free if I ever want or need to place anything else in the future. The door leading to the room will then have a little corridor before going to the bed and the wardrobe.

As for the kitchen, my initial idea was to hack down the wall but I realise that may not be feasible, because unless I can find the same marble tiles, otherwise the flooring is going to be affected. So this contractor's idea is that he will hack half the wall and convert that into a bar counter / counter top, and then build something above to make it hold wine glasses or lights or whatever. I find that a pretty good idea.

As for bookshelf, he will build it into the wall next to the dining room (I plan to put a dining table at the window next to the kitchen). I am a massive bookworm, so I hope the bookshelf is big enough! I did ask him what about my piano? He said it can be put at the access door next to the kitchen.

BTW, the access door is now at the balcony (which is not reflected in the floor plan). The one next to the kitchen is the old access door. Due to lift upgrading, the govt kindly built another access door at the balcony area leading to the lift, so now the main access door is the one that opens right onto the balcony. Hence my flat is one of those rare ones with double access doors!

So far I am pretty happy with what this contractor said, but I'm still looking around before confirming. If any of you kind souls are able to contribute input on how else to renovate the flat, I'll be very grateful! :D

Hi OceanEleven

Thanks for your 2 cents worth!

One contractor I met did tell me if I want a WIW, then I have to sacrifice the bathtub. Upon thinking, well, I guess I can do without the bathtub because I realise the extra cleaning needed if I am to have one. So he says in that case, he will build a WIW next to the bathroom, and it has to be a small one. I guess that's fine since it'll only be enough for my stuff, being a typical female and all. :P

In this case, I can even fit in a king-size bed next to the window, with 2 side tables. TV console will have integrated cabinets at the side on the wall at the "long" side of the bathroom. Because the WIW is going to be small, there can't be a dressing table, so he will build one dressing table for me on the solid wall next to the bed, with the dressing table being integrated such a way that one side is the dressing table, the other side is a study desk cum laptop table, with shelves and cabinets on top.

And so I have the other wall free if I ever want or need to place anything else in the future. The door leading to the room will then have a little corridor before going to the bed and the wardrobe.

As for the kitchen, my initial idea was to hack down the wall but I realise that may not be feasible, because unless I can find the same marble tiles, otherwise the flooring is going to be affected. So this contractor's idea is that he will hack half the wall and convert that into a bar counter / counter top, and then build something above to make it hold wine glasses or lights or whatever. I find that a pretty good idea.

As for bookshelf, he will build it into the wall next to the dining room (I plan to put a dining table at the window next to the kitchen). I am a massive bookworm, so I hope the bookshelf is big enough! I did ask him what about my piano? He said it can be put at the access door next to the kitchen.

BTW, the access door is now at the balcony (which is not reflected in the floor plan). The one next to the kitchen is the old access door. Due to lift upgrading, the govt kindly built another access door at the balcony area leading to the lift, so now the main access door is the one that opens right onto the balcony. Hence my flat is one of those rare ones with double access doors!

So far I am pretty happy with what this contractor said, but I'm still looking around before confirming. If any of you kind souls are able to contribute input on how else to renovate the flat, I'll be very grateful! :D

i'm less of a creative type, but more technical in nature. i would advise you to put your plans into drawings (with precise measurements) to make sure you like what you are getting, and if it is feasible.

something like this.....

floorplanner4.jpg

based on my personal preference i think i would consider combining the BDR3 and storeroom to make an ultra big study/WIW, or perhaps put the piano into that big room. lol......try doing various combos....you will find the perfect layout. do not hestitate to knock some walls or relocate the doors. you may then remove the layout restrictions that will allow you to plan for the new space more efficiently.

Hi Cookie0511! Welcome to the neighbourhood!

When we were still house hunting, we did view a unit that has the same layout as yours.

If you wish to do a WIW, you probably need to expand your MBR and sacrifice some space on the other 2 bedrooms. Roughly drew up something here to show you what I mean.. Your MBR might become rather big, but well your unit is big to begin with! Or you can play around with the length of your WIW to reduce the room's size.

gallery_57898_217_102711.jpg

You can consider knocking down the kitchen wall and make it a half-height bar counter, so it's sort of like an open-concept kitchen.

I'll suggest you still do windows at the balcony or you'll get rain water into your balcony. (well at least my unit does)

i'm less of a creative type, but more technical in nature. i would advise you to put your plans into drawings (with precise measurements) to make sure you like what you are getting, and if it is feasible.

something like this.....

floorplanner4.jpg

based on my personal preference i think i would consider combining the BDR3 and storeroom to make an ultra big study/WIW, or perhaps put the piano into that big room. lol......try doing various combos....you will find the perfect layout. do not hestitate to knock some walls or relocate the doors. you may then remove the layout restrictions that will allow you to plan for the new space more efficiently.

Wow Getzski

That's a really good drawing. You did this yourself? Unfortunately I'm terrible at both figures (how to know exact measurements) and drawing. I'm a visual person but I can only describe what I want and leave the contractor to come up with the plan.

That's why I like your layout! It's such a way that you can have a long WIW leading to the bathroom. Unfortunately my master bathroom is in such a weird position and the rooms situated as such that it's hard to do quite a lot of things.

I haven't decided whether to touch the other 2 rooms as I'm keeping the option of renting out. Also if I knock down and combine some rooms if next time I need more rooms I'll have to convert back again and that'll cost. So for now I'm just playing around with the existing layout to see what I can do.

As for storeroom I'm very tempted to hack it down and convert it into a small room or combine with the next bedroom but again that have to see the cost and necessity because even though I'm not even doing the whole unit, just the bathrooms, MBR and kitchen counter top, it's going to be quite a big sum already! Besides I do need somewhere to store my stuff.

Hi Cookie0511! Welcome to the neighbourhood!

When we were still house hunting, we did view a unit that has the same layout as yours.

If you wish to do a WIW, you probably need to expand your MBR and sacrifice some space on the other 2 bedrooms. Roughly drew up something here to show you what I mean.. Your MBR might become rather big, but well your unit is big to begin with! Or you can play around with the length of your WIW to reduce the room's size.

gallery_57898_217_102711.jpg

You can consider knocking down the kitchen wall and make it a half-height bar counter, so it's sort of like an open-concept kitchen.

I'll suggest you still do windows at the balcony or you'll get rain water into your balcony. (well at least my unit does)

Hi saintinity

Your idea really sounds good! I can do what I like in the master bedroom without compromising much of the other 2 rooms. Just one question, in this case, where shall I put the stall if needed?

Think I'll check your idea with the other contractors I'll be meeting and see what they say. I'm trying not to hack down walls or combine rooms to save cost though.

Hi saintinity

Your idea really sounds good! I can do what I like in the master bedroom without compromising much of the other 2 rooms. Just one question, in this case, where shall I put the stall if needed?

Think I'll check your idea with the other contractors I'll be meeting and see what they say. I'm trying not to hack down walls or combine rooms to save cost though.

what do you mean by stall?

Well yeah hacking and building walls does cost quite a bit. But whether to have a better use of space in the long run should be worth it :)

How about scraping the idea of a WIW?

Build the wardrobe along the wall of MBR and BR 1 and throw in a proper dressing table?

I feel a proper dressing table is a minimal requirement for a lady.

Then there will be space for a king size bed and 2 bedside table and the whole place will no look cluster.

Use bedroom 3 as a study, build more wardrobe to store not frequent used clothing.

This way, you have a decent room for renting out or future purposes and also minimised hacking and rebuilding.

Cost wise, also more efficient. Future selling also easier.

what do you mean by stall?

Well yeah hacking and building walls does cost quite a bit. But whether to have a better use of space in the long run should be worth it :)

Sorry, I meant "storeroom". If I follow this plan, ie shifting the walls and expanding BDR3 together with the original storeroom, where shall I make another storeroom if need be?

Build the wardrobe along the wall of MBR and BR 1 and throw in a proper dressing table?

Then there will be space for a king size bed and 2 bedside table and the whole place will no look cluster.

Use bedroom 3 as a study, build more wardrobe to store not frequent used clothing.

This way, you have a decent room for renting out or future purposes and also minimised hacking and rebuilding.

Actually this is the current layout of the flat, ie cupboard (not built in) on the wall between the MBR and BDR2, bed and dressing table in the MBR. You're right, that makes the room pretty spacious which is why I find the MBR big in the first place. Even my parents are impressed by the spaciousness and size of the MBR (and they own a landed property).

Your MBR is huge! 5.3m x 4.5m is extremely comfortable. Can put in a lounge chair, king sized bed, 50" TV and a small study desk easily. In fact, a lot of furniture and decor required to make it feel cosy.

I have to thumbs up on Ocean's suggestion. :P

Not meant to be discouraging but I'm also not a fan of WIW.

Often I find the ceiling heights too low, there is not enough ventilation in the WIW area, particularly if it's narrow. In addition when poorly lit and not enough natural light, the WIW area can feel cramped.

Also WIW tends to not have closet doors. I'm not a fan of that because have to arrange the wardrobe items by colour, must be neat etc. It never looks as good when it's styled in a picture or in a shop. So overall my opinion is that the space is wasted, particularly if have to knock down a wall and combine bedrooms.