Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vicx1234

A "scandustrial" Concept ~ Sengkang Ea

Wow OceanEleven,

You are really very knowledgeable about all these costs :good:

Was about to reply Vicx that I have no idea how much it costs than I saw your post. My colleague did not tell me how much it costs either but she did share the hassle of packing up all the stuff and moving out temporary to her mom's place to do her renovation was quite tiring.

But, really do envy your WIW haha.. I am not doing it so have to live with a much smaller wardrobe. Will just keep all my lesser worn clothes in the other rooms to avoid the clutter.. Bo pian.. haha

Dont envy, to me I find it a loss of living space. I rather have the room for other use. Afterall, I dont spend hours in the wardrobe.

I was misled by the magazines and shows have a WIW. Been there, done it. Speaking purely from personal point of view only.

Hmm 1.5k amortised over the number of years we will be using the wiw is fine I guess, but you're right about the inconvenience and dust etc! :sport-smiley-018: Well, we've got 10-12 years to prepare ourselves mentally for this, so I think we'll be fine!

:good:

Yup, made the choice then enjoy it as long as pros and cons are weigh. :good:

Having a smaller wardrobe could actually be a good this - buy less, hoard less :good:

This, I will have to disagree. Try reasoning this with the missus. :bangwall:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Tiling by Evorich

- Colour of the tiles: we chose Durban Oak for the colour of our tiles and it seems that it looks very different under sunlight and particularly in camera images. Think the colour rendering of my smartphone camera is not terribly accurate, resulting in an almost purplish hue *EEKS*. The wife wasn't pleased at all with the look of the tiles when I showed her the pics, but I assured her that it would work out fine with all the furnishings in.

Yup agree with you on that all will work out fine when furnishings are in. The color is nice and will slowly grew on the missus.

IMO and when furnishings are in, flooring will become more of a "backdrop" and not the the focus any more. Matter of fact, these color can easily bring out the furnishings more.

for your toilet, noticed the two holes for toiletries.

does that mean your toilet will become slight smaller as you need to build a small additional wall in order to produce the two holes?

hi rxgn, on the contrary we actually made better use of the space because there used to be 2 fat pipes there and the shower system was on the opposite side. By boxing up the pipes and extending the wall slightly towards the door, we managed to relocate the shower system to the side with the box up, freeing up the other side. From there, we simply asked for two holes to be cut into the wall (which is actually cement board) so that we can place our shampoo and soap there without having to drill those racks into the wall. :D

89nb.jpg

Yup agree with you on that all will work out fine when furnishings are in. The color is nice and will slowly grew on the missus.

IMO and when furnishings are in, flooring will become more of a "backdrop" and not the the focus any more. Matter of fact, these color can easily bring out the furnishings more.

amen to that, haha. Now I really can't wait for the furniture to come in. :good: Thanks for the assurance!

Hi Vicx, Can i check with you if you got the HERF laminates from Ev*rich? issit the allure?

Hi Skorian, yes it's the HERF from Ev0rich - Durban Oak colour. They are using allure indeed, they just don't refer to it as such when they first introduce it. ;)

Thanks, vicx1234! We're using Snow Flakes too! Was a little worried when the painter told me that it would look "a little pink". Can't wait to check it out today/tomorrow.

Dont envy, to me I find it a loss of living space. I rather have the room for other use. Afterall, I dont spend hours in the wardrobe.

I was misled by the magazines and shows have a WIW. Been there, done it. Speaking purely from personal point of view only.

Yup, made the choice then enjoy it as long as pros and cons are weigh. :good:

This, I will have to disagree. Try reasoning this with the missus. :bangwall:

I agree with oceaneleven, never argue with the missus. they are always right. :sport-smiley-018: "more storage...more storage..."

Thanks, vicx1234! We're using Snow Flakes too! Was a little worried when the painter told me that it would look "a little pink". Can't wait to check it out today/tomorrow.

Haha, your painter salah, it's not pink at all. You'll love it! Nice and bright

I agree with oceaneleven, never argue with the missus. they are always right. :sport-smiley-018: "more storage...more storage..."

I'll add another wise saying that I always hear: "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

• Like 1

Just a note that the grouting will come off over time leaving behind ugly hollow lines which look like uniform cracks on the 'concrete screed'. So you must remember to get the contract of your tiler direct so that he can help you to touch up when necessary.

For normal tile owners, we usually use a grouting 'seal' to prevent the grouting from wearing off so easily but it's a bit shiny after application and thus not suitable for you..

Hi diva79, I asked my contractor about this seal and he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Don't think he has ever done it before. He did however mention that they usually mix some sort of chemical seal together with the grouting mixture before application.

Do you happen to know the name and brand of the seal?

Preliminary Carpentry & Doors

When I went down to our unit to accept delivery of the sanitary fittings from Wasser Bath yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised by the arrival of our carpentry items! :good: I must say that our ID's carpenter works rather quickly, so props to him.

Here are the items at our lift landing

ymai.jpg

Kitchen cabinets going up in their rightful place

niew.jpg

The skeleton of our MBR TV console and dresser also up!

qj54.jpg

Another view of the dresser and TV console

yrcr.jpg

Halfway through the installation, was again pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the door contractor, ready to fix up our study room panel and kitchen folding doors. :D

Here they are fixing up the panel:

p4xx.jpg

All done! Overall, the look seems ok. The frames aren't as thin as we had hoped or asked for, but they aren't eyesores so that's still acceptable. I think the look of the place is starting to come together with the carpentry and doors going up, so we are really getting excited now. However, even at this stage there are some hiccups, some minor and some major. We will be pushing for our ID to solve these issues and hopefully he comes through. I do hate it whenever unexpected problems pop up during the reno, either because of a miscommunication or simply poor management on the ID's part. We've pulled our hair multiple times in the reno process already. I guess there really isn't a perfect contractor after all!

1pqj.jpg

Door pics continued...

This is a shot of the kitchen folding doors when closed. Apologies for the lack of clarity, this was taken at night with low lighting. :P Discovered that there weren't any handles on the outside, which means that it is impossible to open if you accidentally close it. Luckily they had not put up the glass panels yet.

js18.jpg

View from the living room to the kitchen. Still missing on the wall to the right of the kitchen is our full height display cabinet.

2ith.jpg

Uh oh....big problem here. Discovered that the study room door cannot open fully! Wth.... :no: Must get contractor to rectify for sure. Btw, the packages on the floor are our lights from taobao!!

rkte.jpg

A bit off topic, but I had to lug a huge Sellena kitchen sink from my present house to our new home. So big that I couldn't even see the side mirror when driving! :dunno: Anyway, can't wait to see it set up.

aamp.jpg

Your current window frames are biege in color?

urgh..tell me about it. It's actually closer to orange, doesn't fit our look at all. We've been trying to find out how we can change the colour but everyone says we can't paint over it.

We have been thinking about sticking white vinyl stickers over the window frames instead.

Any other ideas?

Why not? There are paint available in the market that can paint over the window frame... There are videos in YouTube teaching us how to paint window frames... Check it out... :)

Thanks PTopaz. I think the problem is paint doesn't stay on aluminium window frames/grilles very well I'm told. It is possible to paint over it but the colour may look very ugly, and it's quite easy to come off. Don't know the extent to which it is true but that's what we've been told leh.

The sink really look big... mind taking a picture after it is install and what size is it ?

It's camera illusion! The sink is only about 700 mm wide and 220 mm deep as pictured below. Not as big as the kraus sink from Amazon for sure, but at least it's cheaper and I like the fact that the drainage hole plate is square instead of the usual round ones!

5puu.png

• Like 1