Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vicx1234

A "scandustrial" Concept ~ Sengkang Ea

Thank you vicx and oceaneleven on sharing your shipping costs! I will definitely bear in mind what you said about table vendors!

I'm glad someone asked about the blinds. I'm leaning towards venetian blinds too. Something else to add to why I might choose blinds. In a 4rm, I notice that the windows come right up to the wall. My master bedroom will only have 2 panels of windows. If I were to use traditional curtains, I lose light even if I have the curtains pulled open to the side i.e. the curtains will have to cover the windows just because there is no where else to go.

Wonderful rundown on art! I am all for the support of local artists :)

I've seen these cleaners/dusters here but they cost a bomb! I'll be getting these from Amazon and will check TB. I used the heck out of them previously when I was in the US and doing my own house cleaning.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiffer-Dusters-Extender-Extends-three/dp/B000QR931O/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_y

They also sell refills and will buy them at the same time. Great for tops of fans and for blinds.

Those of us with white walls and young budding Picassos at home, I recommend Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Once again, I buy them in bulk from Amazon. Really expensive at Cold Storage. I've used them on coloured walls too.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Original/dp/B0071SCSO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1403585536&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+eraser

hey no problem, glad that we can help each other out in this small way.

thanks in return for the links to the swiffer duster (awesome reviews btw) and Mr Clean magic eraser; my wife will love the duster to bits, and I won't have to worry about our future kid drawing on our walls - in fact, it may be something to be encouraged! ;)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hey no problem, glad that we can help each other out in this small way.

thanks in return for the links to the swiffer duster (awesome reviews btw) and Mr Clean magic eraser; my wife will love the duster to bits, and I won't have to worry about our future kid drawing on our walls - in fact, it may be something to be encouraged! ;)

I'm glad to contribute too :) I checked and found this other link also on Amazon. It appears to be for 3 starter kits! Much cheaper!

http://www.amazon.com/Swiffer-Disposable-Cleaning-Unscented-Packaging/dp/B001K3HYNC

Long overdue house updates

So we've been living in our house since early March 2014, which is almost 4 months now. I'm sure I share other homeowners' sentiments when I say that one of the best feelings you can have at this stage in life is living in a space that you can truly call your own. For those of us who have put extra effort (and $$$) into planning our renovations, the feeling is that much more fulfilling.

The Mrs and I are really enjoying our home (as some of you have rightly pointed out) and these days, that's all we really do - enjoy the house and each other's company. :D

When it comes to decorating and buying other household items, we have been pretty slow on that front as we are rather careful to only buy stuff that we need and which won't end up as clutter around the house. Plus, since we have a baby on the way, we have to keep our floors as clear of stuff as possible. For that matter, we have been hoarding up on baby items instead! So in the next series of pictures, you will notice that our house has still been kept pretty bare, even minimalist. I would however, like to fill up the walls more, with our pictures, art etc. (I have a certain aversion to bare walls). :no:

Arming myself with a wide-angle lens, here are some pics of the house in its current state, at different angles.

MASTER BEDROOM

One of our favourite spots in the house. Nothing beats chilling on the bed and watching a movie or tv series just before bed.

IMG_9864_zpsc0468e33.jpg

A little view of the curves on our wingback bed. Adds a nice stylistic touch to an otherwise plain headboard.

IMG_9868_zpsc10a4716.jpg

Made use of the original MBR recess area to put art. This way it makes the space look purposeful, as though it was a design idea built into the renovation process.

IMG_9873_zpscbbfa758.jpg

A view of our 'luxury' item, a no holds barred walk in wardrobe, but by this time full of clothes. We're running out of space. Help! :help: We're thinking of putting the baby crib in the WIW at night, this way we can attend to our baby easily. When our kid(s) grows up, we can then think about placing a boutique-like display cum storage cupboard in the middle of the WIW.

IMG_9872_zps9297031c.jpg

Showcasing the carpet we recently bought - adding a little texture to an otherwise cold looking room.

IMG_5424_zps6dc76543.jpg

Our Simpsons-esque caricature based on a photo taken on our wedding day! Anyone interested??

IMG_5423_zpscfd68f7f.jpg

• Like 2

That is a restful place! The expansive walk-in is indeed drool worthy!

Any idea how long do you need to change the duster thing ?

Is it once everytime you use ?

Hi Songz, I do change it each time because they will be covered in dust (In my case at least). If it is very light dusting, I wouldn't change it. you'll know what I mean when you see it. You can't shake the dust off the duster.

• Like 1

That is a restful place! The expansive walk-in is indeed drool worthy!

Hi Songz, I do change it each time because they will be covered in dust (In my case at least). If it is very light dusting, I wouldn't change it. you'll know what I mean when you see it. You can't shake the dust off the duster.

Thanks a lot for the information. :good:

Guess I will need to buy extra duster supply to stock up if I am gg to get it.

Hi vicx1234,

I like your home design very much!

could you share with me how much you did for your

aluminum kitchen door,

aluminum study room door & frame

white Venetian blinds

Please pm me if inconvenience to disclose.

Thank you

Hi vicx1234,

I like your home design very much!

could you share with me how much you did for your

aluminum kitchen door,

aluminum study room door & frame

white Venetian blinds

Please pm me if inconvenience to disclose.

Thank you

pm sent bro

Beautifully designed! Theres a real coherence in the design despite having the two different themes; "Scandustrial" as you call it. :thumbs up: This kind of approach can be tricky, one may end up with something that looks too disparate... kinda like a 'cut and paste' job gone horribly wrong. No such problems here, there is a nice sense of balance and coherence thru the whole house.

I've been meeting a few IDs for my upcoming reno and I swear, it can sometimes be so difficult to get your idea across if you wanna try something different. Had one ID tell me that they will do a 'cut & paste'; i.e., I tell them what I want and they will do it. Which sounds great IF I was hiring a contractor. :no:

Anyhows, great place and I'm sure you'll enjoy living in your beautiful home for many years to come. :good:

Edited by Tripper

Beautifully designed! Theres a real coherence in the design despite having the two different themes; "Scandustrial" as you call it. :thumbs up: This kind of approach can be tricky, one may end up with something that looks too disparate... kinda like a 'cut and paste' job gone horribly wrong. No such problems here, there is a nice sense of balance and coherence thru the whole house.

I've been meeting a few IDs for my upcoming reno and I swear, it can sometimes be so difficult to get your idea across if you wanna try something different. Had one ID tell me that they will do a 'cut & paste'; i.e., I tell them what I want and they will do it. Which sounds great IF I was hiring a contractor. :no:

Anyhows, great place and I'm sure you'll enjoy living in your beautiful home for many years to come. :good:

Thanks for the very kind words Tripper!! And is that the old SBC sign as your avatar? Brings back very fond memories I must say. :good:

To be honest, most IDs out there seem like contractors to me. They are good in terms of giving you some practical tips, but when it comes to design, there are only a rare number of ID firms out there worth giving a "design fee". And they are usually pretty **** expensive. Since it sounds like you already have your design in mind, I guess no harm going to a contractor.

Any intention to set up a t-blog? :lol:

• Like 1

PICTURE UPDATES CONTINUED - LIVING ROOM / KITCHEN

Hi folks, here are some latest pictures of our house in its present state. Like our MBR, it's still relatively undecorated & bare, but that also makes it easier for us to maintain and clean the house. Here's presenting our living room and kitchen:

You may ignore the mushy message the wife wrote for me upon my return from reservist training. :wub:

IMG_9902_zps04704fbc.jpg

IMG_9904_zpsce67907d.jpg

Pardon a bit of the blurness in the pictures. I have to admit I'm still not quite there when it comes to photography.

IMG_9922_zpsb772af59.jpg

IMG_9916_zps7023f200.jpg

Still not very comfortable with the bare wall behind the sofa. Urgh. We're supposed to put up some typography art there by pasting wooden/acrylic letters on it, but still have no idea where to get it done! Any ideas or lobangs?

IMG_9928_zps7cc785a8.jpg

Study room - the arrangement of random printouts is stuck on using washi tape. Inspiration from below:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/460000549412665515/

IMG_9908_zps74f5a2db.jpg

Thanks for the very kind words Tripper!! And is that the old SBC sign as your avatar? Brings back very fond memories I must say. :good:

To be honest, most IDs out there seem like contractors to me. They are good in terms of giving you some practical tips, but when it comes to design, there are only a rare number of ID firms out there worth giving a "design fee". And they are usually pretty **** expensive. Since it sounds like you already have your design in mind, I guess no harm going to a contractor.

Any intention to set up a t-blog? :lol:

Yup, it is the SBC logo. I can even remember the jingle! :lol:

Agreed, the line between IDs and contractors is almost invisible as I've learnt recently. The notable ones have really notable prices as well! Not that I have a problem with that; I believe that the impressive talent, creativity and vision of some of the better IDs certainly deserve a corresponding cost. But you're right, me and the wife are pretty set on our design (I call it "The Blank Canvas" :paint: ) and I suppose a contractor would be better suited in our case.

I have been finding it surprisingly difficult to find a good contractor. Loads of reviews about IDs in here, not that many about contractors, not anything recent anyways. The few that I've approached have not turned out too well, we can't communicate (language barrier) and I'm not comfortable with engaging someone with whom I cannot fully articulate my ideas. I don't speak mandarin, thou I'd be happy to find a contractor who spoke simple English also can! Malay also jadi. :D

I'll probably set up a t-blog to document my journey...once I have something interesting to document. Only hope after all this I'm able to get a home looking half as good as yours, i'll be happy already! :sport-smiley-004:

Yup, it is the SBC logo. I can even remember the jingle! :lol:

Agreed, the line between IDs and contractors is almost invisible as I've learnt recently. The notable ones have really notable prices as well! Not that I have a problem with that; I believe that the impressive talent, creativity and vision of some of the better IDs certainly deserve a corresponding cost. But you're right, me and the wife are pretty set on our design (I call it "The Blank Canvas" :paint: ) and I suppose a contractor would be better suited in our case.

I have been finding it surprisingly difficult to find a good contractor. Loads of reviews about IDs in here, not that many about contractors, not anything recent anyways. The few that I've approached have not turned out too well, we can't communicate (language barrier) and I'm not comfortable with engaging someone with whom I cannot fully articulate my ideas. I don't speak mandarin, thou I'd be happy to find a contractor who spoke simple English also can! Malay also jadi. :D

I'll probably set up a t-blog to document my journey...once I have something interesting to document. Only hope after all this I'm able to get a home looking half as good as yours, i'll be happy already! :sport-smiley-004:

oh there's a jingle for SBC? I totally cannot recall that at all. Tried finding on YouTube to no avail.

Finding the right ID or Contractor, at the right price, is definitely not easy at all. My heart goes out to you guys. We also interviewed quite a number of IDs before settling on Jimmy, and the process is not an enjoyable one!! But don't lose hope and don't settle if possible. Find someone you have chemistry with and can work with well. That chemistry will come in useful later on during reno when you need to resolve issues. Unfortunately, Jimmy isn't much of an English speaker so that might be tough.

Do set up your t-blog, even if it means just posting pictures of your home and not writing anything. Hey, at least there is something to remind your of what you went through when all is said and done. :good: Design wise, my wife and I are just ordinary non-design trained folk with a love for all things beautiful. All you need is intensive research online, and you can replicate some of your favourite themes and designs =) Of course, money will always be a barrier. We wanted to go all out but also realized that sometimes we had to use cheaper quality materials and buy alot of stuff off of taobao or Amazon to replicate the Scandinavian look and design. You'll get there with a bit of creative budgeting.

In the meantime, all the best in finding an ID/Contractor!

Edited by vicx1234

I will always remember the dining and study table. Good value for money, strong and sturdy.

Great buy I must comment and not paying exorbitant prices in Singapore.

IMG_9902_zps04704fbc.jpg

IMG_9908_zps74f5a2db.jpg