Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vicx1234

A "scandustrial" Concept ~ Sengkang Ea

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi vicx1234, lovely home you got! mind sharing where you got your doors from? I especially love the bathroom doors!!!:good:

Thanks MissFudge =) Our contractor actually helped us get the doors, but I believe it's from these people:

http://www.swingslide.com.sg/

I am in love with your house! I love the black frames! Definitely an inspiration for my upcoming reno I plan to get track lights in addition... but need to find a good ID first, and plus wont look as fully made up as yours cause on budget, hehe.

Hi Melanie, thank you for your very kind comment! We love black frames too and had to have it no matter the cost. Track lights are a great idea, especially if you have nice art or sculptures to throw the light beams on. Gotta be careful though because if you don't position the lights properly, the space can end up looking a bit dark cos the lights are not spread out. Better to use track lights as a supplement rather than a primary light source.

Believe it or not, we were on a 'budget' also, albeit a slightly inflated one. Still, it's very possible to do up a reno of your dreams with some careful planning. Good luck! :good::good::good:

Vicx1234, check what came through the mail :)

8F0ADB62-3C63-4D2D-AFAB-8280D3C18029_zps

Wow, wrapped even nicer than mine :jammin: Do you have a picture of it sitting on your sofa? haha - very curious!

Nice find vic! getting me tempted as well....hope you are enjoying daddy's time :thumbs up:

Hello bert! Some temptations can be given in to, like this one. Lol.

Daddy time is still some time away, baby can't respond and play yet. :help: HAHA

wow i love the cushion covers and how it makes the sofa pop! How is the material like? Does it fur easily?

Thank you Yelena! It does indeed make the sofa pop, but the colours have to be contrasting enough. As for the material, as bianzi mentioned they won't fur, but I wouldn't exactly call it rough too haha. It's definitely not silky smooth to the touch, but that's what makes it sturdy as well. You can toss and throw it around and it'll still be in great condition. Price wise I think it's reasonable as I've seen similar patterns going for $70-80 bucks in retails stores outside.

Cheers!

Cushion 2 arrived also

B365CF55-2A9E-480A-8A96-20F8610ED1B1_zps

Is this the one for your friend? Or you're getting a matching one for the other side of your sofa :bleah:

Hi nice cushion design! i realize etsy sell quite a lot of nice/sit stuff. Recently just got one from this seller. Her design not bad :)

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/shop/RaineStyleHome

Hey Freb, the store you recommended is not bad indeed, some very interesting designs there. How long did it take to ship to Singapore?

Vicx1234 - the pink one is a matching set for my sofa. :) after I wash them ... I will take a photo of them sitting on my sofa. :)

Hi Vicx1234,

Your mailbox is full can't PM you, wanna check with you, did your ID advise you what is the cons of using cement screed? If not why are you choosing tiles instead? I am thinking to use on the kitchen wall but don't know will it get moss cos I've a sink there?

And also where did you get your Edison light bulb? How much is it? Also, what kind of paint coat you apply on it to prevent rust?

Hope you reply, thanks :)

urgh..tell me about it. It's actually closer to orange, doesn't fit our look at all. We've been trying to find out how we can change the colour but everyone says we can't paint over it.

We have been thinking about sticking white vinyl stickers over the window frames instead.

Any other ideas?

Arrgghh tell me about it neighbor, I have been wondering the same for the past 13 years LOL. I can easily recognize you as my neighbor from the orange window frame and the garden view.

Love the new look, is an amazing makeover from the previous owner. How much did you spend on your reno?

Guys, sorry I've been inactive on renotalk due to work and family commitments! Apologies for the late response ya. Hope everyone is doing fine!

Hi Vicx1234,
Your mailbox is full can't PM you, wanna check with you, did your ID advise you what is the cons of using cement screed? If not why are you choosing tiles instead? I am thinking to use on the kitchen wall but don't know will it get moss cos I've a sink there?
And also where did you get your Edison light bulb? How much is it? Also, what kind of paint coat you apply on it to prevent rust?
Hope you reply, thanks :)

neojytan - actually most of the research on cement screed flooring was done online. In a nutshell, the cons of using cement screed are as follows:

- may need to reapply sealant to the cement surface every now and then to protect flooring, otherwise it may become powdery

- heard that it becomes like a sheet of ice if it comes into contact with water, so it may pose some safety issues

- cracks can develop quite easily on the surface (may not a good look to some)

- very hard surface (then again, which flooring isn't hard)

I would not recommend it being used in your kitchen especially if you prepare food regularly. The surface may become powdery over time and you certainly don't want specks of cement in your food. It's better if you use it along your living room wall. I've seen it used in that way to great effect.

We got our Edison light bulb from taobao, I think it costs something like $10 plus after shipping (could be more now). We haven't had the need to paint on it so far. Anyway here is the taobao link:

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=16529682382

hi love your house!

Thank you Freb!

Arrgghh tell me about it neighbor, I have been wondering the same for the past 13 years LOL. I can easily recognize you as my neighbor from the orange window frame and the garden view.

Love the new look, is an amazing makeover from the previous owner. How much did you spend on your reno?

Oh cool haha. Which blk are you at? So have you found any viable solution for the windows? We've decided to just leave it alone - some visitors have actually complimented our windows!

Spent about $60k plus for reno and another $30k for furniture and fittings. Ouch

PICTURE UPDATES CONTINUED - LIVING ROOM / KITCHEN

Hi folks, here are some latest pictures of our house in its present state. Like our MBR, it's still relatively undecorated & bare, but that also makes it easier for us to maintain and clean the house. Here's presenting our living room and kitchen:

You may ignore the mushy message the wife wrote for me upon my return from reservist training. :wub:

IMG_9902_zps04704fbc.jpg

IMG_9904_zpsce67907d.jpg

Pardon a bit of the blurness in the pictures. I have to admit I'm still not quite there when it comes to photography.

IMG_9922_zpsb772af59.jpg

IMG_9916_zps7023f200.jpg

Still not very comfortable with the bare wall behind the sofa. Urgh. We're supposed to put up some typography art there by pasting wooden/acrylic letters on it, but still have no idea where to get it done! Any ideas or lobangs?

IMG_9928_zps7cc785a8.jpg

Study room - the arrangement of random printouts is stuck on using washi tape. Inspiration from below:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/460000549412665515/

IMG_9908_zps74f5a2db.jpg

Hi Vicx,

May I know which laminate you used for your full height cabinet in your living area (The one with full black board with some writing)? Thanks

Hi Vicx,

May I know which laminate you used for your full height cabinet in your living area (The one with full black board with some writing)? Thanks

Hi there fmlgg, sure thing. The laminate is called Hermes Marcello Walnut (CODE: WY5217D) from Lamitak.

Glad you like it! :good:

Haha want to make a guess? My view is my opposite neighbor's living room, so close that we can use a long bamboo to pass things over LOL.

We didn't bother to research on changing the color as I heard that if we were to sell our unit in future need to reinstate to the original form....siao liao loh...

Orange BEST for CNY! Huat ah!

Indeed $60k is OUCH but u really did a lot so I would say is worth that price. I am planning to redo my kitchen and overlay the entire flooring, looking at $25k already.

Edited by coyote

May I know how to ship the furniture from taobao ?

Furniture

5c5s.jpg

We managed to find a good deal for the sofa above. Quite a popular design and more places are beginning to sell it, but it's still the cheapest at this store though. The colour selection available wasn't great though, grey still being the nicest.

k7y3.jpg
Our MBR wingback bed. Picture doesn't really do it justice as it doesn't show off the curve on each side of the headboard. As for the colour, E preferred it to be in light blue, so light blue it is. We also got it together with their mattress which is apparently being supplied to some hotels in Singapore including M hotel. Whatever the case, it passed the comfort test when we tried it and I believe it was a pretty good deal when packaged with the headboard.

jtn7.jpg
A bookshelf which we will use as a kitchen "baker's" shelf instead, it was on half price, so no complaints there.

p9wf.jpg
Study table from taobao! We've been buying alot of our lights, furniture and even a sink from taobao after reading about all the success and savings renotalkers have had with taobao. A bit nervous as to how the bulky furniture will actually turn out since we haven't actually seen a physical specimen from the actual store. However, we did see the above study table from a local store (but with PRC store assistants) in the exact same design and since everything is now made in China, we figured there was an equal chance that the table could have been manufactured by the same factory. Made a leap of faith and purchased it.

7hk4.jpg
Dining table also from taobao! We are a little bit more nervous about this purchase cos we really do not know what to expect. Have yet to see this design in Singapore, and it could be such that the colour and woodgrain is completely off! Could either be the best or worst purchasing decision yet, depending on how it looks upon assembly. That said, buying furniture from taobao costs at least 40% less than what you get in local stores, even after shipping!

m54l.jpg
Our TV console which we will be custom made to our desired dimensions (210mm x 400mm x 550mm). Loving the nice walnut woodgrain and colour.

So as you guys know I have been busy travelling to HK and being stuck in reservist the past couple of weeks, leaving our ID to handle the renos (which should be the case) without my usual daily supervision. I am pleased to announce that the contractors have finished their work and we are finally at the end of our reno (save for some touch ups)! :D:D

We have also officially moved in and have been sleeping at our new home since Saturday which is when my wife came back to Singapore. Although there has been a lot of cleaning already done (courtesy of the wife), we have had to clean it again every day because of the residual dust lying on the cabinets or in the air, paint and glue stains left behind etc. Actually, we shouldn't have to clean paint stains right??

Whatever the case, it's such a good feeling to move into a home you can truly call your own.

I'll be posting pics of the completed reno in the next couple of posts so bear with me.

Let's start with the kitchen shall we:

Kitchen Pics

So here is our completed kitchen with the quartz top and white glass backsplash finally in. Do ignore the unsightly plastic bag hanging at the window area. The appliances such as stove, oven, washer and dryer have also been installed so we're all set! Citygas is only coming to turn on the gas tomorrow though, so that will complete things. Note to self: take a close up picture of the Rinnai 3CG stove.

Loving the reflection of the under cabinet LED strip lights bouncing off the glass backsplash. Adds to the brightness of the kitchen and we can really see what we're cooking.

The Samsung fridge we bought is nice and big, not to mention white to fit the look of the kitchen. The shelf next to it will be used to place some crockery and perhaps dry foodstuff, can't wait to bring those over from my parent's place where they still sit.

Overall, quite pleased with the look and space of the kitchen.

2014-03-04002330_zps4daa0acd.jpg

A close up view of the light produced by the LED strip lights.

2014-02-28201740_zps5ec5c9ec.jpg

Can't get enough of looking at the AJ replica wall lights - they create a softer mood and provide nice ambient lighting when you don't need to turn on all the kitchen lights.

2014-03-04002343_zps745150fb.jpg

A closer view of our humongous fridge and Commune shelf.

2014-03-04002353_zps714a76aa.jpg

View of the 'yard' area of the kitchen which houses our washer, dryer and cleaning tools.

2014-03-04002417_zpsac85ccf2.jpg

Lastly, a close up view of our Sellena sink together with our tap/pull out spray faucet dual combo. The spray faucet comes in very handy when washing stubborn food remains off of plates etc.

2014-02-24210326_zps7e678ebd.jpg

Hi Vicx, thanks for replying :) Anyway where did u get the shelf beside ur fridge? How much?