Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mellenur

Bringing Scandinavia To Tampines! ~5A Reno Blog~

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

throwing it out here first...

for those of you who use Blum drawers:

1) did your contractors provide them or you had to buy them yourself?

2) if included, how much were you quoted per foot run? i was quoted $110 per foot run for 55 feet and i bought all my Blum drawers myself at additional cost

3) do you think it's within reason for me to ask my contractor to reduce my quotation since i didn't use his internal drawers?

also bar stool below. i tried to search bar stool wood and all possible permutations but nothing came close!

Spark-BCH-Veneer.jpg

spark-bch-pu1.jpg

Moulin-BS-750.jpg

You should be able to find the first 2 stools at comfort furniture.

As for the 3rd one you should be able to find it at taobao if you search "tolix wood".

Good luck!

You should be able to find the first 2 stools at comfort furniture.

As for the 3rd one you should be able to find it at taobao if you search "tolix wood".

Good luck!

thanks, actually these pics were from Comfort!

I'm better off just getting it from there direct.

2) if included, how much were you quoted per foot run? i was quoted $110 per foot run for 55 feet and i bought all my Blum drawers myself at additional cost

3) do you think it's within reason for me to ask my contractor to reduce my quotation since i didn't use his internal drawers?

should be.

My contractor gives me discount for using other brands of hinges/running tracks (but the discount is really miserable). He can also quote for blums stuff too.. I am comparing the prices to see if any markups are reasonable.

hubby was considering invisible grills for our new house but I reminded him again of our prev experience.

(thought of sharing it here after posting on another renotalker's blog)

I used invisible grilles in my current house (not new house), installed them about 2 years ago and removed them a year later. I used the trademark owners, not the other one. Wasn't a good experience. I have cats so I asked the sales person who came to do a site visit for her suggestions. She said because my windows were long, it was better to use vertical grills rather than horizontal ones as it will slack near the centre. Mine is the standard HDB Punggol window, 4 leaves/panels. Then she suggested a gap of 2-inch so the cat head cannot come out. I thought she'd know best so proceeded with her suggestion. Only opted to do for windows in my living room and children's bedroom. On day of installation, the workers are Bangladeshis and their supervisor didn't come until much later when I made a complain. The process is this: for vertical grills they will drill a hole to insert a screw 2 inches apart just below your window frame so for me we have like 50-plus drill holes. Then they weave the wire grill material then put on a white frame to cover the screws. First problem: the grill lines were not straight. They were supposed to use laser pointer to create straight lines but the workers took short cut maybe? Anyway I called the supervisor to site and he agreed the lines were not straight, particularly the last 5 lines near the walls so they took it out, drilled more holes and patched the prev ones then weave the whole thing again. This time it was almost 80% straight, supervisor said last 2 lines cannot be straightened. By then we'd already moved in so each visit was a great inconvenience to me. The end product really made my house look like jail because the grills were close to one another and I have a fairly long hall compared to most other houses, even then it's very obvious. But I needed it because got cats and kids.
A few months later I called the sales person to give feedback that the gaps were very tight so it was quite difficult for me to squeeze my hands through to close the windows when it rains, and after much bugging then she finally told me she recommended 2 inch instead of 3 inch because there was no stock previously. I was surprised, I thought the gaps was drilled, what does it have to do with stock? Maybe it was the frame, I don't know and didn't ask. For a few months, I lived either with completely closed windows for few weeks at a go, or completely open windows even when it rained.
After a year, I cannot tahan already and I asked if we can amend and re-weave the grills to 4 inch gaps since we are using existing hardware, so just skip a screw only. Again, the sales person said no cannot be done. Not very helpful in providing options. By this time, I was getting very frustrated and asked that they remove the whole thing and patch up the holes in the wall. They charged me $200 for that. Finally did it and now I'm $1k plus poorer and back to square one.

ok some more updates from the house:

new gate is up. designed this with cats in mind. was thinking to get the samsung digital lock so when i go for runs, i no need to bring keys. and while my contractor is still around, can ask him to help me fix!

20140214_202329.jpg

20140214_202107.jpg

i haven't shown a pic of the switches. ta-dah! legrand in white. dimmer is for my philips downlights in the living area. i'm probably just picking on things but the switches don't really have a consistent look, i feel that some switches are not aligned...sigh. it's just me.

20140214_201833.jpg

common toilet door also up. this btw is the one i wanted to have a black frame but hubby and contractor ganged up against me and kept chorusing: NOT NICE :bleah:

just to check with fellow bifold door users, is the flooring supposed to look like that? initially the tiler left that cement strip for what i thought would be the bottom frame of the door, but seems now to be an oversight as there isn't a bottom frame.

20140214_201801.jpg

20140214_200224.jpg

MBR toilet glass door also up. it's very flimsy because on the right side, there's no bracket to hold on to the glass so when one closes the door with so much as a soft bang, the glass panel shakes.

20140214_201052.jpg

common toilet door also up. this btw is the one i wanted to have a black frame but hubby and contractor ganged up against me and kept chorusing: NOT NICE :bleah:

just to check with fellow bifold door users, is the flooring supposed to look like that? initially the tiler left that cement strip for what i thought would be the bottom frame of the door, but seems now to be an oversight as there isn't a bottom frame.

20140214_201801.jpg

20140214_200224.jpg

Did you request for your toilet entrance to look like that (i.e the step up from outside)? I've never seen this before!

If it's any consolation to you, my carpentry work (which was supposed to include Blum drawers but I got Blum runners instead) cost $4885 for 13.5 ft of bottom cabinets only.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the invisible grilles. I wanted to install it, but (lousy) condo management said no.

So what do you plan to do to the windows to keep the cats and kids safe this time?

Edited by elin1029

MBR toilet glass door also up. it's very flimsy because on the right side, there's no bracket to hold on to the glass so when one closes the door with so much as a soft bang, the glass panel shakes.

20140214_201052.jpg

Hope it's tempered glass?

As for the bathroom doors, as far as I know, some come without bottom tracks. Personally, that's how I prefer it.

My Legrand switches are not aligned too. Will check with the electricians when they next drop by.

How much did you pay for your iron gate?

hey mellenur, did u like it? we chosen this Oak Light too!! :D

was deciding between Medium Oak and Oak Light tho.. hee hee...

Evorich HERF in Markham Oak Light is also up.

I used the same for the whole house:

20140214_200715.jpg

20140214_200419.jpg

20140214_200604.jpg