Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mellenur

Bringing Scandinavia To Tampines! ~5A Reno Blog~

question. we wanted to get this samsung digital lock from qoo10 but our contractor said they don't know how to install.

is it easy to install? anyone used before?

411860737.jpg

I remember seeing someone's blog which have this lock installed.

Sorry I could not remember at this moment.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

question. we wanted to get this samsung digital lock from qoo10 but our contractor said they don't know how to install.

Hi mellenur,

Think I saw it on plainsharon's T-blog.. she installed it on her own if I am not wrong..

Been a silent reader of your blog.. your reno looks good!

411860737.jpg

hi fsuz and songz, thanks. hers is the one without the handle. this one need to cut hole for handles etc. so for now i'm putting it on hold until we settle down.

Hi mellenur,

Think I saw it on plainsharon's T-blog.. she installed it on her own if I am not wrong..

Been a silent reader of your blog.. your reno looks good!

411860737.jpg

Hi mellenur, we have the same pink phone from TB but it got spoilt after a few months of use! We didn't damage it nor did we used the phone intensively. Also no idea how it got spoilt :( the quality is not that good, that we must admit...

Thnx for the TB links, nice stuffs & really helps pple like me who can't self TB.

Btw, how's the dining restoration gg? I hv 15pcs Qing or Ming furnitures my mum hv been begging me to bring along to our new 4roomer & need to prolly revarnish / update the pcs...wish I could let it all go for a scandi theme but she spend a lot of $$ some 10yrs bck for these good rosewood...no choice but to take all in... Scared to think of the cost since u were quoted $3.5k on just dining.

Pls update on the cats area too coz we hv 3 in the family :)

Hi mellenur, we have the same pink phone from TB but it got spoilt after a few months of use! We didn't damage it nor did we used the phone intensively. Also no idea how it got spoilt :( the quality is not that good, that we must admit...

Thanks Makanology for the heads up. Happy to know that it actually works! I was just planning to use it as a decorative piece.

Thnx for the TB links, nice stuffs & really helps pple like me who can't self TB.

Btw, how's the dining restoration gg? I hv 15pcs Qing or Ming furnitures my mum hv been begging me to bring along to our new 4roomer & need to prolly revarnish / update the pcs...wish I could let it all go for a scandi theme but she spend a lot of $$ some 10yrs bck for these good rosewood...no choice but to take all in... Scared to think of the cost since u were quoted $3.5k on just dining.

Pls update on the cats area too coz we hv 3 in the family :)

No problem re TB :)

In the end I did not restore my dining table because the few restorers in this country charges very high so I sold my dining table. My bed however I have opted for a white coat of paint, will update this weekend when it comes back from the factory.

Hi Mellenur,

I am about to start my carpentry works. How do you find the quality of Mr Yeak's carpentry works?

Harriette, I don't know if he told you this but the carpenter is his brother. I find the quality is good, but all my internals are Blum so not much can go wrong there. But overall, I'm happy with the works.

We moved in last Saturday! :dancingqueen:

We brought along 50 boxes plus other things. Left the kids at my mum's for the weekend while I unpacked. Also because the house wasn't 100% ready. In fact, on day of move, there were painters and carpenters still doing work on Saturday. I just unpacked 5 of 50 boxes as the kitchen cabinets weren't ready to keep all the other items yet. So please pardon my lack of updates. I will also share our learning from the practical side of our designs.

Some pics from 2 days before we moved in:

Shoe cabinet. We chose walnut as the internal laminate as we have learnt that white will turn yellow eventually and show stains (unless you put a liner) and I can't stand scruff marks or little bits or dust. We also designed two drawers to keep socks and umbrellas. We also asked for a little enclave to keep keys and wallets (also came in handy yesterday when I ordered pizza for dinner!), and another enclave at the bottom to keep daily shoes. Turns out to be a really good idea because the doors are not full length then so I can try on a shoe and if I don't like it, I can just change without needing to open/close cabinet again. Also asked for ventilation "sieves" to allow air to circulate. The big door next to the shoe cabinet is the store room door. We also have switches so as we enter the house, we can switch on the cove lights in the living room. Powerpoint there is for when guests want to charge their handphone so they don't forget to take it back on their way out.

20140220_195531.jpg

20140220_200533.jpg

Kitchen:

Hood is up. Hob was pending the granite top installation then can fit it in. Love the look of the light against the teal subway tiles.

20140220_194908.jpg

Tallboy pantry units x 2.

20140220_194916.jpg

The whole look:

20140220_195323.jpg

Granite top was installed yesterday. Initally I asked for Black Galaxy then decided on Imperial Black but somehow when the order came in, it was Black Galaxy. Never mind, got bigger problems to deal with so left this be.

20140224_144211.jpg

My pole system wardrobe in MBR from Closet Design. Product I think is good but the salesperson is terrible, she's doing admin from Mon-Thu and sales Fri-Sun. Design wise I don't think she came onsite to do, but she's the one who drew up the layout. Big mistake as you can see the top shelves are so close to the trunking that you can't keep much items. A lot of wasted space. The sliding doors will come in next week.

20140220_195439.jpg

Living room from few angles:

20140220_202130.jpg

20140220_195836.jpg

20140220_195857.jpg

20140220_201746.jpg

White pendant light is from Chan Huat.

I like the reflection of the craft wall through the study room glass. As if both sides also have craft wall!

20140220_201543.jpg

I'm beginning to get very annoyed by my contractor's plumber.

He's **** Ah Beng, takes no pride in his work (refer here) and when he's presented a problem, he never makes an effort to solve it but always want to the easy way out!

I bought this Kohler faucet from Amazon and now he's having problems fixing it. Anyone has recommendations on other plumbers who have installed this before? There's an oval neck (as opposed to a regular round neck) which is preventing it from being wound to the top, I'm sure there is another solution. Sigh.

He also has problems fixing my Ikea curtain rail.

61GbhoKGaAL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi Mellenur,

Congrats for moving in. Your place looks really nice.

Yes, Mr Yeak told me that the carpenter is his brother. Mr Yeak and his brother own a carpentry workshop in Malaysia where they fabricate the carpentry works. Before I hired Mr Yeak, a past client of his told me that his carpentry works is good. I just wanted to verify that this is still true.