Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

A Thought or Two On The Oven

The oven, the want to have but not need to have. Unless you are a baking enthusiast who use it more than twice a month, else it is still after all a nice deco in modern kitchen. :bleah:

Here to pen down some thoughts that cross my mind when placing the oven. Never been a fan of oven under the stove.

Main reason - pure laziness. I cant imagine keep bending over to check the cooking every now and then plus the everyday ageing didnt help either.

We went shopping for some roast ware and good lord, arent those heavy! A whatever fancy named ware is easily 1kg or more.

Throw in the ingredients and you are looking at 2kg or more up. Non issue for most guys but posing a challenge for the petite ladies.

Couple with the blazing heat, it certainly complicates matter.

So with the waist height installation, it kinda solve, if not lessen the burden and risk involved during operation.

And not forgetting most oven are pulled down type, those with mini me/mini you who are in the phase of trigger happy, may unknowingly reach for it.

Plus waist height gives you the excuse have a full height carpentry which most properly isnt goona differ much from normal cost.

And also the means to stick a "Tower" drawer unit beside it, so wont look so lonely.

So you might wonder, after penning this much, I should be a decent user who can bake or roast?

Matter of fact, I'm neither. However, I am doing the hard part - eating. :notti:

• Like 2

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Ocean, not sure if you saw this stomp post floating around where the person dismantled the lock by using allen key from outside. It seems to be the same lock, so do u know if your lock can also be unscrewed by allen key? Cos I was also looking to get An digital, but now I'm not too sure.

Hi Ocean, not sure if you saw this stomp post floating around where the person dismantled the lock by using allen key from outside. It seems to be the same lock, so do u know if your lock can also be unscrewed by allen key? Cos I was also looking to get An digital, but now I'm not too sure.

I saw the Stomp post and check my lock, dont seems to be able to open like what he did.

Did a little more study, yield a little result, though I stand corrected.

Yale 323G http://www.yaleasia.com/en/yale/yale-asia/News/2014/News-category/Singapore-launches-Yale-GateLock-for-metal-doors/

Yale 323 www.yaleasia.com/en/yale/yale-asia/yale-lock-products/?groupId=4490&productId=66124

Seems like there is a difference between these 2 models.

Unless Stomper step forward with the model he bought, else unable to comment further.

What he was able to do does make sense for a door lock. Else impossible to do a manual reset or open from inside since there is no knob/handle.

Yale 323G comes with a remote control to open the lock. There is no open button on the lock itself even from the inside.

My guess, Stomper bought the wrong lock for the door and not the gate.

Tried on my own lock, it is possible to access battery area with an allen key. However he did it with the door open.

He should really try it with the door closed and see if 30 seconds is doable.

Further to that, mentioned in my earlier post on digital lock, most gate dont fit digital lock.

You have to custom make a cover with padlock to cover from the inside but Yale 323G solves this issue.

So, if one wanna be on the safe side, they can still custom make a cover or they have to custom make the gate.

The gate can be design in a way where the back of the lock is inaccessible by adding more "vertical/horizontal" bars.

And also to calculate the gate lock inside the house part to be facing the door lock/handle to eliminate any space between.

Just to elaborate a little further, if custom make the gate, you can consider to add more vertical bars.

As seen below, one will have no access from the left side of the gate while right side will prove to be a challenge using one hand with the door close.

Also if the door lock/handle is facing the gate lock when closed, the space in between are almost impossible to reach at all.

IMG-20140703-WA0030.jpg

The "fish tank" look. Looks like an enclosed space in the carpentry.

The frame amplify the "fish tank" feel. So instead of solid top of granite, stone etc, we replace with carpentry.

And the top layered with tempered glass act as protected against the carpentry.

Additional lighting are added, as ceiling lights are not bright enough due to design.

20140902_183126.jpg

Another design idea from Mr. Foo.

The slide out is good for using rice cooker/electric kettle etc where the steam can emit directly and not onto the carpentry.

Further to that, can act as an "island" for food preparation with things within reach. :good:

20140902_182318.jpg

The tempered glass is a good idea and cost effective as opposed to granite or solid surface. also the pull out is practically very useful. Brilliant!

I was using one previously for a decade. Brand is Rinnai. I have no problem with it, water is hot and bills was low.

So right now in our new place, we purchased another gas heater together with gas dryer from CItygas.

This time the brand we took is Ferroli. No special preference, simply went for the biggest capacity here.

I prefer gas because of the long term lower cost which has proven to save me cost.

Am not a fan of hot shower, mainly for the missus only. As long as she is ok, I am fine. :good:

Thanks, OceanEleven!
Sorry, I forgot that you had previously mentioned about having a gas heater for some years. This is a repurchase for you then (albeit in a different brand/model).
I have been going back and forth between gas and the Bennington heater. I think I am leaning towards the Bennington. In any case, I think there may not be enough space for a gas heater in my service yard (-to-be), as I am planning on getting the gas dryer and have it mounted on that particular wall.

20140902_182318.jpg

So nice! I like your Tower too.

This reminds me of my childhood home, where we had a slide-out breakfast counter. I’m afraid we did not have smooth runners/tracks, so ours was more of a “yank-out" than a “slide-out". It was still fun though!

The tempered glass is a good idea and cost effective as opposed to granite or solid surface. also the pull out is practically very useful. Brilliant!

Thanks. Tempered glass is no doubt cheaper than any solid top but faces the normal glass disadvantages such as stain marks and scratches issues. However as of now, still pretty satisfy with the look and effect.

Pulling out is targeted at using appliances that generate steam such as rice cooker, electric kettle etc.

When pull out, steam will not directly hit the top of the carpentry, avoiding any issues in the run.

Looking at ur posting time... did u bake at 3am???!!:o

I was overseas when posting and the baking was done some time ago, just didnt have the time to upload.

Now looking forward to the second try soon. :jammin:

• Like 1