Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

23 hours ago, koxxic said:

Knew my calculation was wrong..I was going with 22 packs haha

22 packs is very very heavy, about 400kg I reckon. If you have own transport, you can plan for self collect as per my post. Else delivery is about SGD200 perhaps. Anyway, even arrange delivery is also to your block and not to your door, likewise with all tiles  even bought locally.

Own transport is doable, also if possible bring 1 more pax to cater for GST. You need to have a slightly bigger vehicle and go slow all the way.

Money saved is one thing, satisfaction is priceless.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

ID Shopping

Like all, shopping for the right ID/contractor for the dream home is part and parcel of the renovation process. So, how, what, where, when to find the IDs and also what to look out for when seeking for the prefect ID and what to expect during discussion. I will dabble a little on these.

Mind-set – This is one very important aspect. Home makers must be prepared mentally of what they want and expect. Some will ask, if I know what I want, then why the need for an ID.  Then again, if you don’t even know what you want, how would others know what you want. By knowing the needs such as a specific theme, specific look, specific furniture, specific feel and the list goes on. Some will want spacious, some want storage more space, some no vinyl, some no tiles floor.

So you must at least know what you want, this will form a basis for discussion and that is where the ID will work their magic and propose, plan and design. Here is when ideas will flow, the general look and feel will set in. Colours, designs, laminates, paints will then be in place to set the mood.  However, if it exceed the budget, items can be trimmed or reduce and work around it.

SO now, the ID. One have to seek thru all means – friends, advertisement etc. Renotalk provides a good platform for us all to see and have a first-hand experience of the work done by the particular ID. From here, we can gauge, estimate and decide if we want to do a meet up for further discussion. Gather a few candidates, and sieve them out one by one. Best not to have like 15 and do meet all of them up, in the end one will likely to compromise and just go for the one that seems acceptable due to exhaustion and frustration.

My personal feel is that the first meet up is not to see portfolio but more to communicate, have a feel of each other. If first impression is not that pleasing, perhaps it is better to move on. People are biased, once it sets in, pretty difficult to uproot. This is the time for you to express what you want and expect, not going to the extend to talk about materials, laminates, tiles design. If the discussion sway from talking about space planning/design, likely is gonna be lengthy and exhausting for all parties. Imagine repeating the same thing to 10 IDs within one month. So just keep it short and simple. Tell the ID what you want, such carpentry in the kitchen, top and bottom? Wardrobe for all rooms? What kind of kitchen top etc etc. Such information are needed for ID to come back with a quote. Most of the time, ID will know how much to quote but wont know what to quote, as in how many feet of carpentry, need hacking, tiles or vinyl, brick wall etc.

Upon receiving the quote, which is always exceeding budget, don’t feel beaten don’t demoralised, certain time can be fine tune and remove. Just work on it, else work around it. Some things gotta go and you will find nearer to budget and yet still working with your chosen ID. Cheerios.

Shower Screen

My previous place has no shower screen, using only shower curtain and Ikea rod. After looking at magazines, show rooms and various hotel stay, I’ve decided that I will have shower screen for my new place. And this is when the nonstop cleaning begin.

First thing first, shower screen are wall mounted and wall hinged for the swivel glass door. Mine is like that. Rubber strips installed at the edges for water proofing. Like all course of nature, no matter how I hose down after shower, all the glass surface will have water marks, when run my fingers across, I can feel the “roughness”. These are the residues from soap, shampoo etc. These are not only unsightly, as it clouds the clarity of the glass but also kinda big turn off. Stepping into a shower with such condition does not offer much of a satisfaction despite even if you have $5k rain shower system installed.

The water proofing strips accumulates grimes and from clear, turns to murky and dark. Silicone holding the glass panel turns black, with spots here and there running along the length. Had dump everything I can lay my hands on to try to remove them. Result……total failure.

Sometimes I look back, perhaps vanity got the better of me. But **** yeah, at least now I have the experience of having a shower screen. Actually it turn out pretty pointless to have the shower screen. Main reason is when guys relieve themselves, the aiming always seems to fail. Hence the toilet bowl edge, floor around needs to be hose down to destroy the “evidence”. End of the day, the toilet is still wet even when no one has a shower.

Enough said, I need to go wash the shower screen now.

Shower%20Screen.jpg

Bro, get the melamine stick or just use bigger melamine sponge from Daiso. I assure you the water marks comes off much easier. If wash every week it's like nothing.

i spray vinegar solution and let sit, then melamine sponge to scrub it (don't really need elbow grease) and then hose down. My shower screens sparkle. Have been using this method for the past 2 years. 

I also use the small melamine sponges to clean my sinks, taps, showers. All gleaming. No polishing needed. 

And the big sponges/stick I use to scrub down my walls too. One will be surprised at how much unseen mold is on the bathroom walls. 

Hth!

12 hours ago, OceanEleven said:

Shower Screen

My previous place has no shower screen, using only shower curtain and Ikea rod. After looking at magazines, show rooms and various hotel stay, I’ve decided that I will have shower screen for my new place. And this is when the nonstop cleaning begin.

First thing first, shower screen are wall mounted and wall hinged for the swivel glass door. Mine is like that. Rubber strips installed at the edges for water proofing. Like all course of nature, no matter how I hose down after shower, all the glass surface will have water marks, when run my fingers across, I can feel the “roughness”. These are the residues from soap, shampoo etc. These are not only unsightly, as it clouds the clarity of the glass but also kinda big turn off. Stepping into a shower with such condition does not offer much of a satisfaction despite even if you have $5k rain shower system installed.

The water proofing strips accumulates grimes and from clear, turns to murky and dark. Silicone holding the glass panel turns black, with spots here and there running along the length. Had dump everything I can lay my hands on to try to remove them. Result……total failure.

Sometimes I look back, perhaps vanity got the better of me. But **** yeah, at least now I have the experience of having a shower screen. Actually it turn out pretty pointless to have the shower screen. Main reason is when guys relieve themselves, the aiming always seems to fail. Hence the toilet bowl edge, floor around needs to be hose down to destroy the “evidence”. End of the day, the toilet is still wet even when no one has a shower.

Enough said, I need to go wash the shower screen now.

Shower%20Screen.jpg

I know what you mean! Before we bought our place we were living in student accommodation in London for a year and our attached bathroom had a shower screen, and over there the water is extra hard so the water stains you mentioned are even more obvious. I like to keep the toilet clean so I spent some time cleaning off the hard water stains every week!

For our new place we decided to go without shower screen and without shower curtain for now, and see how bad things get, and install shower curtain later then. My mother-in-law soaks her shower curtains in bleach occasionally and all the stains go away! So we might just end up with shower curtains in the long run.

12 hours ago, bykaraanne said:

Bro, get the melamine stick or just use bigger melamine sponge from Daiso. I assure you the water marks comes off much easier. If wash every week it's like nothing.

YES, sis. Thanks for the heads up! Can post the spone pic here for the general benefit. Last trip to Daiso saw numerous brands and make of sponges. :good:

1 hour ago, ricepapergirl said:

I know what you mean! Before we bought our place we were living in student accommodation in London for a year and our attached bathroom had a shower screen, and over there the water is extra hard so the water stains you mentioned are even more obvious. I like to keep the toilet clean so I spent some time cleaning off the hard water stains every week!

For our new place we decided to go without shower screen and without shower curtain for now, and see how bad things get, and install shower curtain later then. My mother-in-law soaks her shower curtains in bleach occasionally and all the stains go away! So we might just end up with shower curtains in the long run.

Lol, at least someone here is on there same frequency. I did the same thing as your MIL. I also used to change new shower curtain every year, just for the fresh feel. Anyway, you had missed nothing without shower screen and save yourself minimum $900. :good:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OceanEleven said:

YES, sis. Thanks for the heads up! Can post the spone pic here for the general benefit. Last trip to Daiso saw numerous brands and make of sponges. :good:

Here - I shared previously on Lux's T Blog :) 

The stick is quite hard to find now only see the refills (the blue one). 

If not can just buy the yellow pack MIJ melamine sponge... For ease for bigger screen can buy the bigger sponge (pre cut) one. Smaller ones can be used for cleaning taps / sinks etc. :) 

3 hours ago, bykaraanne said:

The stick is quite hard to find now only see the refills (the blue one). 

If not can just buy the yellow pack MIJ melamine sponge... For ease for bigger screen can buy the bigger sponge (pre cut) one. Smaller ones can be used for cleaning taps / sinks etc. :) 

Try the PS outlet. I was there yesterday. Still have :)

1 hour ago, Berried said:

Try the PS outlet. I was there yesterday. Still have :)

Went today, got the small one only (for toilet bowl), don't have the big one. Big one missing for quite long already... 

It's not as cheap as the Daiso one, but I know that places like Tokyu Hands carry the original melamine sponges in different sizes (and also new stuff like liquid sprays which work similarly). The original brand (or I think it's the original brand) is called Gekiochi kun and it's easily identifiable by the iconic face design on the front.

Daiso IS a lot cheaper though since their's is basically OEM version of Gekiochi.