Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sweetpoison

Less Is More~ Our 1St New House

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Looking forward to seeing how the access balcony will be done up!

First time seeing this, interesting :D

Hi Tessina,

Actually we asked the previous owner if it's possible to hack that kitchen wall down. She mentioned that some units did. So we did our little research by going around the neighbourhood. Looking up from the void decks, I saw two units did the same. So we tried our luck for the permit, hoping that's legal to do so.

Yes!!! This is the photo I am waiting for. Very interesting looking. Given the row of windows, your place is gonna be bright and airy. :good:

Hahaha! My man told me to quickly upload the photos after reading your previous reply regarding the permit. He said I'm confusing people. heehee

Yup, I have always love to have a bright & airy home! So big windows is one of the musts to have when we were househunting.

Gem Flooring - Looks even better close up.

The speed of your renovation is EXCEPTIONAL. So much done in less than a month. You've found yourself a very efficient contract.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

So far, our ID has been good & efficient.. *cross fingers He has been replying our whatsapp and checking/confirming with us before he orders stuffs/ starting with tilings etc.. Till date, only small misunderstanding once or twice but was settled very fast. I can't wait to see it all done as well!

Hi!

I wanna do something similar w the access area... Mind sharing your contractors name (since now he has experience doing this)?

Thank you. :)

Looking forward to seeing the progress of your reno.

Hi Newadventure,

Mine is ID, not contractor. So do you still want the name?

We spent a few hours at our place brainstorming about the kitchen that night. Trying hard to think of a plan B if the wall cannot be hacked. Where to place the fridge? What size can our fridge be? Can we have EzLiving for our laundry area? Will we be able to have a mini bar/island?

At the same time, going through every corner of the house thinking of new ideas and what we may have left out for the reno. At the end of the night, my man came out with this idea to whatsapp our ID about some of our decisions.

2013-12-27083224.jpg

2013-12-27031236.png

2013-12-27031120.png

Interesting. Please tell me more about the "gaps between boxup and tiles"?

Your reno works are happening at the speed of lightning! :good:

Hi just came across your reno blog.

Got to say that the idea of the new floor plan is great ^^

Hope to see more updates and from your reno blog as really interesting to see how it turn out with so much hacking and changes

(*By the way bright and airy is really great for house )

Latest update:

5th Jan - Air Con installation by Gain City. We bought Mitsubishi Daiya System 3 ~ Inverter (SCM60ZJS~3XSRK25ZJS). Had to get the bracket as well as the ex owners used an antique air con unit. In order to minimise the numbers of trunk running all over the rooms, my man decided with the GC guys to have them all at a corner. In the end, MBR has the most trunks :( And as for the old air con has to be removed, the GC guys patched up the hole in the wall for us.

Antique AirCon

2013-12-01171648.jpg

After removal

2014-01-04102320.jpg

Patched work done

2014-01-04164232.jpg

The GC guys finished their job at this stage.. my goodness! Luckily after asking our ID for help, he got his guy to plaster up for us!

Finished job!

2014-01-08164645.jpg?t=1389355069

It is not perfectly even surface, but for sure, we prefer this than that woody art piece! Hope the patch work is well done and we will not have any water leaking through.

Edited by sweetpoison

As for the air cons..

MBR

2014-01-04164219.jpg

Bedroom 2

2014-01-04155243.jpg

Bedroom 3

2014-01-04155415.jpg

Actually, we did not know the exact specs of our new air con system. Only after we got it, I realised it wasn't Starmex as I came across some posts from fellow t-bloggers here.. Not that I have any specific wants, just thought that it will be really useful for peeps (like me) who do not know there are actually '2' mitsubishi to read

~~http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=833728

~~http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/53461-our-cosy-hideout/?p=755068

These two links are really useful for those who are still considering which air con to get! :good:

Now, another first world country issue... Can anyone share some ideas what can we do about these eyesore trunks?

2014-01-04164201.jpg

My dad suggested a mini box up but I doubt we will have the space to do so. I was thinking if we will need long curtains to hide these but I don't really like having long curtains.

Side track here.. This morning we saw a patch of water mark under the trunks. My ID said he found a bottle of water spill over and he had cleared it. But he checked again after I asked if he's really sure. Found water droplets right underneath the trunks! Dunno if it's the air con bracket drilling not sealed properly or the bottle of spilled water.. Decided to get Gain City guys to come back on Monday to check.

2014-01-10110739.jpg?t=1389355229

On the 7th, met the electrician & ID. Discussed on where the points are and what switch to put. On the 8th, all are done! Followed by false ceilings, all done up today. All these while, tilers were busy tiling the access balcony and completing kitchen, common toilet & MBR areas.

Windows for access balcony was up on the 8th. So were the toilets windows. We are really pleased with the speed of our reno is going till we feel that we may have delay it as we only confirm our toilet doors colours and wall paints today! Thumbs up for our ID who did all the coordinations and ensure things go well!

So now, photos time!

Kitchen Area - hollow blocks sealed up previous kitchen entrance and storeroom door (4th Jan)

2014-01-04160717.jpg

View of kitchen from access balcony

2014-01-04161324.jpg

8th Jan - Tiling of access balcony; windows up!

2014-01-08163655.jpg

Kitchen tiling

2014-01-08164221.jpg?t=1389355054

MBR toilet windows up!

2014-01-08164410.jpg?t=1389355063

Plans sticked on hall wall to remind electricians & false ceiling guys...

2014-01-08164755.jpg?t=1389355075