Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Eden01

What Do You Lookout For When You Select An Id?

Hi Guys,

I am still new to this, but i have been looking around for an ID for my upcoming new home.

but i am not sure what to look out for in an ID.

Any tips?

How do you know the selected ID can deliver what the promise you in the drawing?

How can we ensure the workmanship is well.

Anyone care to share some experience?

Thanks

Eden

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Guys,

I am still new to this, but i have been looking around for an ID for my upcoming new home.

but i am not sure what to look out for in an ID.

Any tips?

How do you know the selected ID can deliver what the promise you in the drawing?

How can we ensure the workmanship is well.

Anyone care to share some experience?

Thanks

Eden

you can refer to the thread in my signature :)

I think basically I started out emailing to those that I wish to reach out too base on the positive feedback and response around here, the first thing that I look out for is whether they reply back and make an effort to touch base with me. I will not chase for those that didn’t

Along the way I also realize that even some make an effort to response to you, pay you a visit at your place, and go through a fair bit of discussion, they could just suddenly disappear without a follow up, be it a further discussion or a quotation at the end of the day. That is already a early sign that they could not commit to you for whatever reason.

I used most of my experience from my job in pre selecting the ID as I usually need to work with vendors from various companies. I felt been responsive during the initial contact is very important, I am not expecting an immediate reply to every question I have but to be consistent in following up is important. If you can’t even establish a proper communication channel now, I can’t imagine how it going to be like when the renovation start

Dear Sir / Mdm,

I understand your concern when it comes to selecting ID and/or contractor.

Firstly, everyone has its own strength and weaknesses and the harsh truth is nowadays, you can NEVER get a good contractor. As for ID, it depends on your expectation and requirements to your design intent. In layman's POV, always look at the portfolio and spot some good ideas. A good ID always propose something unique for housing solution, rather than flashing nice interior pictures and keep giving you the impression that the design is good. A good ID sits down and listen to what you want and will sketch to your intent and to the proposed details.

Secondly, in order for your design intent to be fulfilled, good workmanship is way more important that design. While selecting contractors and negotiating, you must not always give them a rush deadline. When you rush deadline, bad workmanship will start to surface. Nowadays, contractors are getting younger and a whole wide ranges aged around 35 to 45. They may look "green" to you but experience counts.

Lastly, my concluding statement is that no one is perfect. There are some people who can work with your expectations and some are not capable. You just need to accept the fact that it is a subjective approach. When surfing renotalk forums, when people commented that their designers and/or contractors does a good job to their houses, it does not mean that they will do the same to yours.

I am a freelance interior designer since 2005 and i always take into particular when me and/or my client select contractors. However, till now i have not met someone who can still gives me quality workmanship. Yet they are durable enough to withstand any wear and tears for the next 5 years.

Signing off and wishing you all the best, sincerely.

• Like 1

Dear Sir / Mdm,

I understand your concern when it comes to selecting ID and/or contractor.

Firstly, everyone has its own strength and weaknesses and the harsh truth is nowadays, you can NEVER get a good contractor. As for ID, it depends on your expectation and requirements to your design intent. In layman's POV, always look at the portfolio and spot some good ideas. A good ID always propose something unique for housing solution, rather than flashing nice interior pictures and keep giving you the impression that the design is good. A good ID sits down and listen to what you want and will sketch to your intent and to the proposed details.

Secondly, in order for your design intent to be fulfilled, good workmanship is way more important that design. While selecting contractors and negotiating, you must not always give them a rush deadline. When you rush deadline, bad workmanship will start to surface. Nowadays, contractors are getting younger and a whole wide ranges aged around 35 to 45. They may look "green" to you but experience counts.

Lastly, my concluding statement is that no one is perfect. There are some people who can work with your expectations and some are not capable. You just need to accept the fact that it is a subjective approach. When surfing renotalk forums, when people commented that their designers and/or contractors does a good job to their houses, it does not mean that they will do the same to yours.

I am a freelance interior designer since 2005 and i always take into particular when me and/or my client select contractors. However, till now i have not met someone who can still gives me quality workmanship. Yet they are durable enough to withstand any wear and tears for the next 5 years.

Signing off and wishing you all the best, sincerely.

Can you post your recent work & also work that were not satisfied that done by your contractor?

Hi Eden01,
I guess most of the home owners here went through the same frustrations and confusion in the selection of id/ contractors as you do now. I was in your shoes 4 months ago, searching frantically for any clues or guidance on how to select the right id. It's especially stressful when I think about the dollars at stake.

I agree with what the other home owners have advised here. What I did was:
1. Got recommendations from home owners here on their ids.
2. Contacted 3-4 id and met up with them: I told them my general requirements, my budget, and I seek their ideas and solutions to create a practical and cosy home. I also requested to look at their portfolios, asked about their current engagement (if too busy, I scared they can't follow up on my project).
3. From my experience, their quotes are more or less the same. I guess because it's pretty competitive nowadays, and my id too, realize that people are sharing info anytime n anywhere. So their creativity, attitude as in how quick they respond to you and the workmanship are important to me.
4. For me, customer service is equally important. I want a minimal hassle Reno. My id is my rep there. Anyone delivering anything, or fixing anything, my id is supposed to handle that without my presence. And he must ensure the 'safety' of my goods in the house.
Having said so much, I am aware that there's no perfect id.. Just choose one to meet your need :)

--EDITED--

Edited by Advertising Staff
self-advertising