Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
elin1029

My First Renovation Experience

Problem with installation by Kronotex or the floor itself? Kronotex installation quite standard.

As for the floor, this is their highest grade range, AC5, 12mm thick. Together with 4mm of underlay, it is 16mm of laminate flooring. I must say it feels quite good. Some friends have commented it doesn't feel like laminate floor. Even my French friend who dislikes the feel of laminate floor and strongly advised me against installing one. So far no problem. My dogs had accident on the floor several times and I quickly mopped up the pee. Can be a bit stressful in this respect as I can't watch over the dogs all the time and I don't want to confine them to the yard when I'm home. And this floor is quite stain and scratch resistant.

Something I'd like to highlight here. Kronotex charged me 10% wastages and we know they will never be used up. Of course they will not refund and will bring the leftover back. What happened was, we had an opening in one of the planks for electrical cables to the island, and contractor made a mistake in measurement. She asked Kronotex for one piece to replace but Kronotex refused to give. In the end contractor had to buy a box using her own money. I thought it was not very nice of Kronotex not to give since there must be leftover from the 10% wastage which I had paid for.

Another point to note is the coordination of laminate floor installation can be tricky if we get our own laminate floor. Contractor kept recommending Malaysian brands saying they are equally good but I had wanted Kronotex. So I got it on my own. Now laminate floor should be installed after all major works done but before carpentry. The date of installation kept shifting, at least three times. And after installation, the floor was not protected well during the subsequent carpentry works and there were scratches and glue marks all over the floor. I guess contractor didn't really care to protect it well since it wasn't done by them.

So these are some of the things to take note.

Hi , sorry to hear about all the bad stuffs happening regarding the flooring , thanks for the details anyway .

Was hesitating about laminated flooring , afraid it'll give me the hollow feel .

Anyway your house is very nice :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi , sorry to hear about all the bad stuffs happening regarding the flooring , thanks for the details anyway .

Was hesitating about laminated flooring , afraid it'll give me the hollow feel .

Anyway your house is very nice :)

Thanks.

I'm not very sensitive, so I have no issue walking from parquet floor in rooms to laminate floor in living/kitchen to tiled floor in yard and bathrooms. I thought the kronotex feels much more solid than pergo in my previous house though. Maybe the 12mm thickness plus the rubber underlay help.

Go try walking on one before you decide. A fellow forum member was very kind to let me into his house to try walking on his kronotex mammut too.

I was quite torn between wood tiles and laminate floor, especially because I keep dogs. I don't like wood tiles because they feel cold, not good for aging people like me. But finally the decision was made for me because the condo management strongly discouraged hacking of the granite floor because it may cause many surrounding units to crack!!! Although I started to feel uneasy about the quality of this condo project, but I was glad I had to install laminate floor :)

No, that was how the original door looked like, made worse during renovation works, the contractor didn't bother "beautifying" it after renovation.

Edited by elin1029

Hi elin,

You have A really lovely place, luv it!

Thou I can't see some of your prior photos, but I m sure they are gorgeous!

I can understand your point of not wanting to waste the carpentry drawers as personally I too feel how you felt. But are your drawers going to hold heavy items? Cos Blum drawers can hold pretty heavy ones.

Hi elin,

You have A really lovely place, luv it!

Thou I can't see some of your prior photos, but I m sure they are gorgeous!

I can understand your point of not wanting to waste the carpentry drawers as personally I too feel how you felt. But are your drawers going to hold heavy items? Cos Blum drawers can hold pretty heavy ones.

Thanks enigma. Will you be starting a blog too? Would love to see your renovated place.

I try not to put too heavy things in the drawers. I'm not a heavy cooker so that helps.

Would like to share a purchase here :)

An iRobot roomba 780!

20140304-143853.jpg

It's a bit noisy, but I could schedule it to work before I come home. So far so good. Check out the amount of dog hair it picked up! And I only just swept the floor late last night. This is especially good for people who keep dogs that shed lots, like mine!

20140304-143917.jpg

• Like 2

Bought ikea glass containers to transfer out the paint so I could throw away the unsightly and huge tins that took up too much space!

20140303-210242.jpg

Now they look so much better, even pretty in the glass jars that I could probably display them instead of hiding them in storeroom!

20140304-181200.jpg

The amount of leftover paint is inconsistent. For the colors, they were only used for one wall in each room. Some colors had an almost full tin left. Some had almost nothing left. So I suppose they reuse paint for other projects, which I don't mind because otherwise it's such a waste.

I intended to keep a container of each color, but I couldn't bring myself to throw away the good paint. So I ended up buying more containers to keep them. I have too much of private lagoon (teal) and cornfield (yellow), so if anyone wants them for DIY projects like painting your photo frames, you can have some!

After using the Ikea glass containers to store, it look kind of nice

Look like some kind of food (Jam and etc) to me. LoL ... ~

Indeed! So much easier to tell what's inside and if the paint has gone bad. Easier to open the container too. With the big tin, I had a hard time prying open the lid, damaging it in the process and hard to cover back after that.

Problem with installation by Kronotex or the floor itself? Kronotex installation quite standard.

As for the floor, this is their highest grade range, AC5, 12mm thick. Together with 4mm of underlay, it is 16mm of laminate flooring. I must say it feels quite good. Some friends have commented it doesn't feel like laminate floor. Even my French friend who dislikes the feel of laminate floor and strongly advised me against installing one. So far no problem. My dogs had accident on the floor several times and I quickly mopped up the pee. Can be a bit stressful in this respect as I can't watch over the dogs all the time and I don't want to confine them to the yard when I'm home. And this floor is quite stain and scratch resistant.

Something I'd like to highlight here. Kronotex charged me 10% wastages and we know they will never be used up. Of course they will not refund and will bring the leftover back. What happened was, we had an opening in one of the planks for electrical cables to the island, and contractor made a mistake in measurement. She asked Kronotex for one piece to replace but Kronotex refused to give. In the end contractor had to buy a box using her own money. I thought it was not very nice of Kronotex not to give since there must be leftover from the 10% wastage which I had paid for.

Another point to note is the coordination of laminate floor installation can be tricky if we get our own laminate floor. Contractor kept recommending Malaysian brands saying they are equally good but I had wanted Kronotex. So I got it on my own. Now laminate floor should be installed after all major works done but before carpentry. The date of installation kept shifting, at least three times. And after installation, the floor was not protected well during the subsequent carpentry works and there were scratches and glue marks all over the floor. I guess contractor didn't really care to protect it well since it wasn't done by them.

So these are some of the things to take note.

Oh my! For the very 1st time, i thou i was seeing my own house in renotalk! We had the same flooring, same subway tiles, and the same contractor! High five! :)

I must also commented that the contractor don't really care to protect the flooring well. I have paint and glue marks all over the floor too! And he mentioned that he gave the big roll of paper (where people use it to protect the flooring), out of goodwill!

I bought the toilet floor tiles by myself and there were some spare over. Hoping to overlay the service yard next time when i have the budget. But after the final cleaning, the tiles were all gone! In fact, everything was gone! Including the bricks on the wall. I asked him abt it and he said the workers left it outside the house and i should go and find it. No matter how hard i find, i just couldn't find it. I felt very disappointed. Who in the right mind, putting everything outside the house and not putting it back in the house after cleaning? Sigh!

Thanks enigma. Will you be starting a blog too? Would love to see your renovated place.

I try not to put too heavy things in the drawers. I'm not a heavy cooker so that helps.

Whoa start a blog? ~scared~ Difficult wor... I am not very i.t. Smart u see. Dun even know how to paste photo. Hahahhahaa (will see if Significant Other has time to teach)

Besides my place is still naked; with painting going on now. The previous progress are mostly messy/ plastering scenes..

I must agree your jars of paint looks delicious too! Lol. Had considered teal color as well but dunno which wall to use it on; eventually gave it up. But might take up your offer of getting a small bit to color a picture frame or two; u think it can be applied to wooden ikea frames?

I too Considered about getting the robotic cleaner (so convenient right!) but ultimately bot a dyson. Cos I dun have any frens that uses the robot who also own pets; so no honest reviews. Should have waited n see yours... Lol! Good to see that it works well!

Do u use it on wood floor too? AnyScratches huh?

Would like to share a purchase here :)

An iRobot roomba 780!

It's a bit noisy, but I could schedule it to work before I come home. So far so good. Check out the amount of dog hair it picked up! And I only just swept the floor late last night. This is especially good for people who keep dogs that shed lots, like mine!

elin1029, where can buy iRobot ah, and how much is it?

My hubs wanted one too, and I don't mind getting one if it can help me do housechore when we are out at work! hehehe..

:jammin::jammin::jammin: