Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
elin1029

My First Renovation Experience

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Been seriously considering whether I should have built in wardrobe or those from ikea for my LO. One offers maximum storage while the other the flexi to change as he outgrows ~kids wardrobe to be updated after 5 years, according to magazines~. Till now, still having two thoughts about it. I figured after factoring the wardrobe cost, delivery n installation, prob it will cost half the price of a built in one. But it's also much smaller in size wor.. But then again, not a good idea to have "adult pattern" of concrete/ serious color of black or brown laminate wardrobe in LO's room either.

~fickle minded at work again~

Btw, can I get the contact of your blinds? Are they ok? I contacted one neighborhood shop for a quote during a random walk after lunch, wasn't pleased with their service. Although I m pretty lazy to get quotations around, this time I rather take my biz to somewhere else. Thank you! pm me at your convenience, no hurry. :P

Btw, can I get the contact of your blinds? Are they ok? I contacted one neighborhood shop for a quote during a random walk after lunch, wasn't pleased with their service. Although I m pretty lazy to get quotations around, this time I rather take my biz to somewhere else. Thank you! pm me at your convenience, no hurry. :P

Got mine from Fabulous Curtains. Service is good.

http://fabulouscurtain.com/

elin check with you, your lights all warm white ah?

Not all, but most are warm white except one set of down lights in kitchen and and one down light in common bathroom.

Edited by elin1029

• Like 1

Hey Elin!

I registered for an account just to reply to your thread - I've been lurking for more than a year but never ever posted.

I just wanted to say that I LURVE your bathroom, the bathtub and fixtures/accessories are almost exactly how I envisioned it to be!

Hoping I can fit a standalone tub in my new house too... :/

Congrats on your beautiful home :) Thanks for sharing it with us!

• Like 1

Hey Elin!

I registered for an account just to reply to your thread - I've been lurking for more than a year but never ever posted.

I just wanted to say that I LURVE your bathroom, the bathtub and fixtures/accessories are almost exactly how I envisioned it to be!

Hoping I can fit a standalone tub in my new house too... :/

Congrats on your beautiful home :) Thanks for sharing it with us!

Thanks. That's a big compliment!

So I mentioned before my contractor made a mistake and did not give me Blum hinges for the kitchen and living room cabinets when I have already paid for them. They offered to replace the hinges but the replacement would not be a neat one, so I decided not to go ahead. Now, after several months and many reminders, she finally gave me a refund for the difference, and it was a pathetic $100.

If the difference between Blum hinges and brandless hinges is so insignificant, then everyone should just go ahead and use Blum! Why did people actually spend time to consider to Blum or not to Blum?

It's interesting how when they quote a high price, they claim it's due to certain expensive components. But if for some reason they don't or forget to give you the expensive components, they say the difference in price is not big. Lesson learnt - get a quote for using expensive components and an optional quote for not using the expensive components so there's no future disputes in the price difference.

Regarding the Yale digital lock, after living with it for several months, I must say I am very frustrated with it. The lock always fails to recognize my fingerprint, I could keep trying again and again and it just refuses to recognize it. Once I got so fed up I kept trying until the lock was disabled and I had to wait like 3 minutes for it to allow entry again. Most times I would give up after several tries and use the PIN instead.

Other digital lock users, do you have the same problem?

So I mentioned before my contractor made a mistake and did not give me Blum hinges for the kitchen and living room cabinets when I have already paid for them. They offered to replace the hinges but the replacement would not be a neat one, so I decided not to go ahead. Now, after several months and many reminders, she finally gave me a refund for the difference, and it was a pathetic $100.

A lesson learnt indeed and that was really pathetic. I think she had taken you for a ride and there is nothing you can do about it.

If it is not too late, you should confront her about it.

Edited by OceanEleven

Point taken, will be using Blum hinges for everything (lifetime warranty, as Blum says) Unsure about whether to go full Blum (tracks/ divider etc) or not thou. ~@ carpentry stage ~

Edited by enigma