Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

may I know how much is the customizeod TV console and the customized shoes cabinet?

how much do you spend in total for flooring? did you change all the tiles?

How much is your renov cost in total?

Hi,

How's the KV8 Robot Vacuum working?

Noisy? Does it do a good job for corners?

Btw, did you get them to send directly to Singapore or via a delivery company? How's their charge and service? Can provide their details? Thanks!

Continued from previous post…

TAOBAO #10) KV8 ROBOT VACUUM

gallery_54206_413_84853.png

Link: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=26099812608&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

Considerations/ Discoveries/ Rants/ Advice:

I bought this on behalf of my good buddy #MrMuscleDF about a month ago and his reviews are absolutely and stupendously awesome!!!:) He even sent me videos of the robot vacuum in action.. Seriously, this robot is so smart that I wish I could've seen his face when it first started operating. :lol: From the videos, I’m sure that it does some sort of floor mapping as it moves around and ‘remembers’ where the obstacles are, because the robot vacuum will ACTUALLY AVOID the obstacle when it returns back to the same area next time… Speechless. CFO & I were so convinced that we have since purchased 2 more units… One for us, and another one for my parents… :D

Here is a summary of the reviews given by my buddy:

- Vacuum noise is not that loud (even his cats didn’t run away.. they just lingered around close enough to watch out of curiousity.. hahaha super cute.. :))

- Has auto-docking function when battery is low

- Has a UV light shining onto the floor to kill germs (CFO claims that it is useless because you need a much longer UV exposure in order to kill germs though *shrug* :P)

- Proximity sensor on its sides detect walls/ skirting, thus preventing collisions

- Vacuum power is good, judging by the amount of dust and cat hair the robot vacuum managed to suck up… :)

TAOBAO #11) ASSORTED SOFA CUSHIONS

gallery_54206_413_90638.jpg

gallery_54206_413_146462.jpg

Link: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39376864042&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

gallery_54206_413_3789.jpg

gallery_54206_413_20140.jpg

Link: http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=38987614053&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

Considerations/ Discoveries/ Rants/ Advice:

WAHAHAHA… DON'T YOU THINK THAT THE CUSHIONS ARE SO PRETTY?!?!!! Really in love with them!! :wub: The background sofa fabric colour for the first 2 pictures are very similar to what we are going to have with our #Grafunkt sofa, so I think it's a good comparison to make...

But anyway, sorry lei I have a confession to make. If you think these cushions are not nice or not suitable, it’s PURELY MY FAULT. CFO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Wahahahaha.. Aiya… Long story short, I am apparently the most super “ngiao” person you will ever find when it comes to matching my cushion cover colours with my living room colour palette. CFO got sick of my “ngiao” ways and just let me freestyle on the cushion purchases… So.. It will really help if someone could give me a reassuring comment that these cushions are nice and suitable. Even a unoriginal comment like “nice cushions” would go some way to appease my CFO. Hahahaha…

Oh. Ya. Crap. Haven’t ask #CalvinTan. Oops. Anyway moving on!!

To Be Continued...

Edited by 1supermama

Hi Leon, wanted to say thanks for your great and informative blog! Secondly to update readers who may be still interested in Posh, do note that they now significantly mark-up their prices to include GST.

We were definitely disappointed but oh well, learnt abit too I guess :)

CURTAINS ARE UP!! HEHE.

CFO did some research and we finally settled on #JimmyTextiles on recommendation of her 2nd-sister!! We consulted the amazing #CalvinTan on the best curtain colour-combination for our house and he told us that the house curtains should be LIGHT-GREY and guess what? WHITE of course! :D

First and foremost, some useful quick reference information for you all below!

Useful Information for Renotalkers on #JimmyTextiles:

Address: 845 Geylang Rd, Tanjong Katong Complex, #01-03/04

Telephone: 6745 6423

Opening hours: 11:00am to 9:30pm every day (though I think their last appt is at 9pm)

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JimmyTextiles?fref=ts

And now, moving onto the thought-processes of our curtain purchase...

#1) CURTAIN COLOUR CHOICE

One word of advice dearest Renotalkers; Choose your fabric colours under the lighting temperature (warm light, cool white light, daylight whtie etc) that is most similar to your house's lighting temperature... Because it makes a lot a lot a lot of difference visually! As for me, I actually whipped out my handphone and turned on the LED flashlight app (should be about daylight white) and shone the light onto the fabric while choosing... :P Wahahaha.. I think the person that attended to me also first time see such a weird customer.. :D

Anyway! The-Mr-Fabulous-#CalvinTan-from-#PoshHome actually advised us to go for the following match-up!! :)

• LIVING/ DINING AREA: Dreamy-white day-curtains for our living/ dining area;
  • ALL 3 BEDROOMS: Light-grey night-curtains with the same dreamy-white day-curtains (for colour theme consistency)

#2) CURTAIN FABRIC CHOICE

I really really cannot advice much on this, just keep your mind open and remember to compromise with your partner when choosing the fabric choice.. Smoothness, thickness, glossy, non-glossy, trap-dust-type, don't-trap-so-much-dust-type.... SO MANY TYPES!! :jawdrop: There are really a lot of selections to choose from.. HEHE. :)(sorry I really don't know how to help you here HAHA)

Just remember that renovation is meant to be a fun and enjoyable process.. :) HAVE FUN! :notti:

#3) CURTAIN WOODEN ROD/ METAL TRACK & CURTAIN ATTACHMENT CHOICE

One thing I've found out is that the wooden rods are actually more expensive than the metal tracks! :idea:

Also another thing about the curtain attachment is that:

If you go for the WOODEN ROD;

- You have slightly more curtain attachment choices (fold over velcro, ring-type etc.) whereas..

If you go for the METAL TRACK;

- The only curtain attachment you can use are hooks (although now it's the trend to use plastic hooks instead of the old-fashioned metal hooks)

Hmmmm.. I think I've said enough and it's really much easier to talk while referring to a photo so... HERE GOES!! :notti:

LIVING/ DINING AREA CURTAINS! (DAY CURTAINS ONLY)

For the Living/ Dining Area, CFO & I went for the white wooden rod because I so dearly wanted to complete my beloved clean scandinavian feel.. :wub: The #CalvinTan-advised dreamy white day curtains also just adds so nicely to the clean-white-minimalistic effect... Hehehe... :wub:

PICTURE OF WOODEN BRACKET FOR WOODEN ROD @ LIVING/ DINING AREA

gallery_54206_8_65597.jpg

You will notice that the wooden bracket protrudes out and eats into my living area space.. That is not counting the fact that they are mounted on an already-protruding horizontal beam, located above the windows... AND, take note that this is only a 1-layer curtain (day curtain only)... This factor will affect my decision later on for the bedroom curtains... :dunno: Do read on for that below..

gallery_54206_8_268126.jpg

Same picture, just taken from a different angle to show the number of wooden brackets in place.. :)

gallery_54206_8_9858.jpg

Final outcome of the Living/ Dining Area white-day-curtain installation! :good: LOVE the outcome!! :wub:

BEDROOMS' CURTAINS! (DAY & NIGHT CURTAINS)

Like I mentioned earlier, all our bedrooms will have a set combination of Day (white) & Night (light grey) curtains. We had actually ALSO wanted to go for the white wooden pole for all our bedroom curtains, however... LUCKILY a #JimmyTextiles China worker advised us against it when he first came down to do site measurements.. He works in a 2-man team with his colleague and are super nice to us.. If you see the photo below, you will be able to see that the metal track (that we ultimately went for, for all bedrooms) are mounted on the underside of the above-mentioned horizontal beam at the windows.

gallery_54206_8_221005.jpg

PROBLEM AVERTED: Imagine f we had gone for the wooden pole (which by design-wise, protrudes a lot more into the space of the room) for the bedrooms, and remember that we need day AND night curtains for our bedrooms? The curtains would have extended up to 7 to 10" into the space of the room... Making an otherwise already-small room, MORE PUNY THAN EVER!!! Wahahaha... So we are thankful to have met the 2 blokes & promptly treated them to ice-cold Pokka green tea... :good: Hehehe..

gallery_54206_8_25598.jpg

Final outcome of the Bedroom light-grey-night-curtain & white-day-curtain installation!! Good effect and good fabric!!

Oh yeah, the final damage was SGD1,400 for all my entire house, inclusive of everything (installation, GST etc.)!!

Eh actually I'm having a really bad bout of allergic rhinithis (AKA sneezing non-stop due to dust & other allergens) right now, so apologies for the brief post but I think I better go and rest some right now...

See you guys again and thanks for all the sweet comments!! :wub:

Hi is your TV mounted on the wall? How are the wires hidden?

Hi Leon and Jenna,

In post 297, you mentioned that you have bought LED CEILING LIGHTS FOR BATHROOMS & SERVICE YARD & BOMB SHELTER. May i know if it is good? Considering to buy given that it looks quite sleek and nice.

Thanks

Hi hi, may I check is the elmark ceiling fan quiet? So far I know Fanco & KDK are, no experience in Elmark but I like the design.

Btw from our Fanco installer, he mentioned that 1 direction of the fan movement is a sweeping motion that doesn't cut. The other direction is a cutting motion. Pls be careful.

"ELMARK CEILING FAN - Wind power is strong!! And CFO just figured out that the fan setting can be set to turn either counter-clockwise OR clockwise!! Amazing!"