Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
guojiawen

Our Dream Home @ Woodlands Meadow

Btw realised i missed this out in the above post.

For all the carpentry work, it comes with white internal PVC (unless otherwise stated), ABS trimming and soft closing hinges (non-branded).

So if looking for BLUM hinges, cost may differ quite a bit. Don't think they are registered company for BLUM system as well.

HTH!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

28k with aircon??? Wow!!

Hi Sappyd, yup the cost includes air con. But i already opted for HDB tiles and doors, so those were not included in our quotation :)

great deal you have! I think its very cheap since it includes all the elects and aircon....

n yes, we r from the same estate. tts so coincidence! :dribble:hope to cya ard, and smooth sailing in reno! :lol:

oh btw, the floorplan u uploaded is a 4 room.....

Documenting the process we took for our choice of ID.

Key things we looked out for in order of importance

1. Cost taking into consideration workmanship

- bo bian since reno is expected to cost quite a bit

2. How comfortable we were relating to him/her

- very impt since we need to relay our hopes & expectations for at least 2mths for the reno period, and even before & after e reno

3. Experience and responsiveness of the ID

4. Portfolio

After contacting 15 different companies (realised it's this many only when i traced through my email archives!) with what we hope to do and our budget in Oct 2013, we waited for the responses.

Am not going to list down all of them here, but we had to send reminder to at least 5 of them before they replied (i think a few never did reply). Maybe at that point our project was still 1/2 a year to getting keys and they were busy with projects on hand. But non or slow responsiveness is a big no no for us. Even a few who replied within a week, but failed to follow up promptly after our follow up questions was also struck off our choice. If cannot even reply emails, how to trust in handling the entire renovation that stretch over two months? If MIA will be worse. Maybe this is why we had an easier time shortlisting. We eventually met up with only 6 IDs.

So a point to note for new homeowners, if possible (and can curb excitement), try not to request for quote too early. Busy big ID firms will not reply as our project is not on their priority. Plus if it just happen to be a busy period, their responses will be delayed and result in negative impression as well. But then again, if they can manage their projects and time well, I don't see why replies cannot be prompt. Really depends on how much importance we place on responsiveness I guess..

The 6 IDs we shortlisted (again w/o names as it can be sensitive - can PM me to ask if really keen) are as below:

ID #1

Did up the house of my husband's friend and my ex-colleague.

Cost was reasonable

Highly raved in renotalk forum

Experienced

Informed us when he is busy and when he can reply us (to prevent misunderstanding of slow responsiveness)

Reason for dropping: Charges GST. Which is a 4 digit amount for the amount of reno we had to do.. Otherwise we would have engaged him.

ID #2

Prompt in replies for all emails

Cost was reasonable

Only in the field for 2 years

No 3D drawings (As a form of saving cost for us. To pay if we want them)

Reason for dropping: Met up as we were impressed with the responsiveness. However, lack of experience and concerns about lack of 3D drawings made us decide to drop this ID.

ID #3

Prompt in replies for emails

Cost was on the higher end but providing BLUM hinges

More than 5 years of experience

Sales talk and try to "upgrade" what we originally wanted to do but is a friendly chap

Reason for dropping: Higher cost when compared to other IDs for the same amt of work required. Suay things happened both times after we met this ID (I know this is not his fault.. but I am pan dang.. so.... dropped him).

ID #4

Cost also on the higher end but providing BLUM hinges

Soft spoken (worried about him handling workers under him)

Less experienced than the other IDs

Also a friendly chap

Reason for dropping: Higher cost when compared to other IDs for the same amt of work required. Soft spoken and we are afraid he cannot manage the workers under him.

ID #5

Cost is reasonable but shot up after we changed a few things

About 2 years experience in the field

Reason for dropping: Lack of experience and can't really click.

ID #6

The ID we selected

Though not v responsive over email, whatsapp replies have always been prompt (so what i do is whatsapp to update whenever i emailed to ensure email is well received)

Over 30 years of experience in the field as their parents started out as a carpentry company

Brothers ventured out to do interior design, but carpentry work is in house by parent company

Both very hands on individuals

Reasonable quotation and good workmanship

Flexible with requests (even with areas like payment terms - likely as they own the company)

Recommended by a fellow neighbour from our FB estate grp

So far, everything is good. Only con is there's not much online reviews I can find, so it's up to individual's comfort level to engage them.

Hope my review help for those who are looking for your IDs at the moment!

Will continue to update my experience with my current ID. Have already emailed him my preferred choice of carpentry colour and wall paint colour. So the next step is to wait for the 3D designs. Really can't wait! =D

Edited by guojiawen

• Like 1

great deal you have! I think its very cheap since it includes all the elects and aircon....

n yes, we r from the same estate. tts so coincidence! :dribble:hope to cya ard, and smooth sailing in reno! :lol:

oh btw, the floorplan u uploaded is a 4 room.....

Hello! *big wave to fellow neighbour*

I just double checked, it's the correct floor plan, coz have the 2 additional window in living room :rolleyes:

Hope to see you around and all the best for your reno too!

I'm still eagerly waiting for keys now.. :dribble: LOL.

OH YA. haha cos urs is a mirror image of mine. so i mistaken the MBR as living room .. which doesn't hv the additional windows

hahaha now then i realise ur living rm is the left side. so sorry abt tt! LOL ...

hope you collect ur keys soon so everything can start falling into place :rolleyes:

Hello! *big wave to fellow neighbour*

I just double checked, it's the correct floor plan, coz have the 2 additional window in living room :rolleyes:

Hope to see you around and all the best for your reno too!

I'm still eagerly waiting for keys now.. :dribble: LOL.

OH YA. haha cos urs is a mirror image of mine. so i mistaken the MBR as living room .. which doesn't hv the additional windows

hahaha now then i realise ur living rm is the left side. so sorry abt tt! LOL ...

hope you collect ur keys soon so everything can start falling into place :rolleyes:

haha no worries. btw i just realised the icon :rolleyes: is named as rolleyes. no such intention.. so don't be mistaken! :yeah:

and yes, key collection! now look out for HDB letter for application of HLE first :wub:

HAHA i thot it looked quite happy.

when u received the HLE, and gotten it approved, it will be very fast alr!

meanwhile, u can start shopping for furniture first :D

haha no worries. btw i just realised the icon :rolleyes: is named as rolleyes. no such intention.. so don't be mistaken! :yeah:

and yes, key collection! now look out for HDB letter for application of HLE first :wub:

HAHA i thot it looked quite happy.

when u received the HLE, and gotten it approved, it will be very fast alr!

meanwhile, u can start shopping for furniture first :D

haha, have been scouting around sungei kadut (not sure if spelling correct). but so far haven seen something we really like yet. will continue scouting around~

btw r u in our the dew/meadows fb page? ;)

yep!

haha, have been scouting around sungei kadut (not sure if spelling correct). but so far haven seen something we really like yet. will continue scouting around~

btw r u in our the dew/meadows fb page? ;)

yep!

haha cool! hopefully we can all have good renovations and find quality furnitures at reasonable prices!

• Like 1

Good ID find, quote seems pretty reasonable for the scope of works he has included :good:

Now looking forward to the 3D designs~

i want to c too!

haha will post when received! but likely to be another week or two.. must wait patiently~