Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lyz77

Can I File A Case With Small Claim Tribunal?

My renovation started since last year early December and regardless of close follow-up on the progress, my ID didn't complete the renovation in time and does not commit to any timeline to complete and handover the house.

Although the contract did not indicate any completion date, I am wondering if I have a good ground to file a case to claim from the ID the cost of those incomplete items so that I can look for another contractor to finish the renovation?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

name and company?

i am also catching 1 conman that self advertise in this forum. right now, i am gathering victims so that we can 1 shot do a criminal class cuit against these kind of worse than animals cheaters.

if u feel uncomfortable in saying out, u can always pm me the name and company

My renovation started since last year early December and regardless of close follow-up on the progress, my ID didn't complete the renovation in time and does not commit to any timeline to complete and handover the house.

Although the contract did not indicate any completion date, I am wondering if I have a good ground to file a case to claim from the ID the cost of those incomplete items so that I can look for another contractor to finish the renovation?

OMG!!

Finally get to meet a fellow home-owner in the same plight as me.

Mine started early Nov. (thought it should had been mid-oct...stupid mistake by ID)

I was also thinking about filing the case to CASE.

Same issue as you, no handover date on contract documents.

How can we sue them???

Not sure about you but I went through and still am going through lots of emotional stress.

You know that kind of feeling? When seems like you SHOULD have control over things (since you paid the $$$$) yet you have no control !!?!

Hi all, strangely, this is the 1st time I come to this website, as I want to caution others about my reno contractor, and I see this topic.

I am having the same issue of contractor doing half-done job and delaying refunds.

The company is Quest Builders Pte Ltd, a 1 man show who uses another person's name to register the company. The addresses on both website and ACRA are wrong. The person also uses different names.

CASE or Small Claim Tribunal should work, Only if the company does not fold up. For 1 man show or very small firms, they can just close down, and Small Claim cant do anything. any legal experts, kindly correct me if i am wrong.

I had reported to the police, but they are trying to consider this as Breach of Agreement. It seems that there is no help for consumers. The only way is to make it a cheating case to the police. To make it a cheating case, there needs to be a significant number of complaints about the same company/person.

For small claims, it is meant to be a civil suit. However, for a start, the magistrate will advise both parties to turn up for a mediation session before deciding to issue court order. This court order will be effective towards sole proprietor/Partnership but not towards Pte Ltd.

As for the cost incurred for any delay, if only such delay has resulted in massive losses on ur side, you might consider hiring a lawyer to fight the claims for u. If not, small claims wont help either unless you are able to justify the losses is 100% responsible by the contractor. Remember, if you are the one bringing up the suit, is ur responsibility to provide proof /evidence, otherwise it might be considered as a libel.

Conclusion, if next time you are hiring any freelancer ID, contractor, ask for their IC for any payment made to their personal names. If it is Pte Ltd, remember to check on their profile, recommendations before proceeding in hiring any ID/Contractors.

Yes it is bad workmanship. If you proceed to SCT, you may file claims for work left undone, or work left undone to a satisfactory level. So what you may get? Partial Refund or the contractor's commitment to complete the repair within a reasonable timeframe.

However, to get a new contractor to do this, may result in two scenario: 1) same problem again 2) A jack up price to repair. 3) Work done to your satisfaction.

Conclusion? Your whole job will get delay. So measure time against money and see if this work is minimally acceptable, if so then ask for discount from them. Problem solved

I think the best is really not to go with free lance / one man show kind for renovation..too risky for the few thousands saved..

Hi there, i had emailed a contractor with the things i wanted to do and he provided me with a quote in February.

i met with him again in April, he showed us the his workmanship, we felt it was oki and furthermore he assured us that he

will guide us all the way, and would monitor our project so we who are working need not worry much, and decided to engage him as we felt we trusted him at that moment.

At that point of time we had already told him of the things we felt we could do without, so we told him to omit, painting, tiling, we doing vinyl instead, hacking, overlay of kitchen n bathroom tiles and just do a simple renovation. He promised to do a quotation for us before we sign..

Then he told us why not we apply for bank loan first and use the quotation (a fake quotation so that we can get more loan) he had done up before in february so that we can start asap on reno once we get loan. But we asked him first will we get into any trouble, is it ok to do that? He said most contractors, id are doing that. So we agreed. As we walk off he called up to us and say y not he save us the trouble and he submit the quotation to the bank first and needed our signature. Me and my hubby were too dumb at that time, we didnt even think much and just signed away, cos in our minds that was only for the bank loan, we have not signed the proper final quotations with the amendments done.

Email was sent the next day, hacking and tiling was taken down but haulage of $800 was not, at that time we had no idea that haulage is meant for tiling/hacking. So we overlooked that part. Anws there were still a few items he did not take down, like painting, glass door for kitchen etc etc.... Then our loan was approved and he decided to meet up at our place. He did not inform us that he was gonna start planning for false ceiling, feature wall on which side and electrical lighting all that stuff. Me and hubby had not discussed yet what we wanted. He was talking very fast, i feel like he was not giving us time to think about what we want. How can i think on the spot where i want to relocate the sockets and stuff, its my first time. Again me and hub just agreed to what he had planned.. and now im regretting a lot about the relocating of the sockets in my kitchen. :(

Again i reminded him to do a proper quotation so that i can sign the contract, but he just ignored what i was saying n talked abt something else. I kept asking my husband, we had not signed our quotation contract why he want to start doing?

Few days later we told him we wanted to cancel the vinyl as we wanted to take Evorich. We did that cos we were not confident

in his vinyl, he kept saying to take not waterproof cheap, if waterproof same price as evorich and was hesitant to let me know which brand he was using for our vinyl.. So he said ok, but was quite sarcastic.

Cut the story short, when we realised what the haulage meant, we told him to adjust it as it didnt suit what we are doing, he said cant cos i had cancelled tiling/hacking/overlay,vinyl, so he need that amnt to profit his company.. He say he never adjust the other price of the other items when he shud cos we already signed the contract. I was shocked! To what i know we had not signed anything, then came the best part, he whatsapped me a picture of our signature. The paper with the signature was actually detached from the fake bank quotation. My heart dropped. Felt like i was cheated in broad daylight.

We met him the next day. My husband decided to gave in to him, as we are not the type of ppl who likes to argue. But in my point, this is actually wrong to charge a person $800 for nothing. He shud have informed me when i had cancelled.

Till today our reno is still on going. But thank god its abt to end soon. But im really not happy with the way he works and the way he handles things. Slow communication, when got prob, we watsapp ask questions, he lazy to reply he will simply ignore it.

There were a lot of errors in the process of choosing laminate, glass backsplash turned out completely different (we were not given any samples or advice that colour chosen will not turn out the same, T5 lights that he asked us to get, were wrong in size and they secretly bought another T5 which was a different colour and the thickness is different,. the hinges and hydraulics used

were of poor quality, carpenter himself said that the contractor stopped him from using good ones.Dish rack tray anytime can fall off, the sharp edges cant hit my quartz/sink or even hurt someone. Im spending almost 9k for my small kitchen and this is what i get.

Are there any lawyers or anyone that can give me some legal advise on what i can do.

Im so upset. renovating your love nest shud be fun and happy process, but im totally stressed out..

Guest Success Shutters

Hi there, i had emailed a contractor with the things i wanted to do and he provided me with a quote in February.

i met with him again in April, he showed us the his workmanship, we felt it was oki and furthermore he assured us that he

will guide us all the way, and would monitor our project so we who are working need not worry much, and decided to engage him as we felt we trusted him at that moment.

At that point of time we had already told him of the things we felt we could do without, so we told him to omit, painting, tiling, we doing vinyl instead, hacking, overlay of kitchen n bathroom tiles and just do a simple renovation. He promised to do a quotation for us before we sign..

Then he told us why not we apply for bank loan first and use the quotation (a fake quotation so that we can get more loan) he had done up before in february so that we can start asap on reno once we get loan. But we asked him first will we get into any trouble, is it ok to do that? He said most contractors, id are doing that. So we agreed. As we walk off he called up to us and say y not he save us the trouble and he submit the quotation to the bank first and needed our signature. Me and my hubby were too dumb at that time, we didnt even think much and just signed away, cos in our minds that was only for the bank loan, we have not signed the proper final quotations with the amendments done.

Email was sent the next day, hacking and tiling was taken down but haulage of $800 was not, at that time we had no idea that haulage is meant for tiling/hacking. So we overlooked that part. Anws there were still a few items he did not take down, like painting, glass door for kitchen etc etc.... Then our loan was approved and he decided to meet up at our place. He did not inform us that he was gonna start planning for false ceiling, feature wall on which side and electrical lighting all that stuff. Me and hubby had not discussed yet what we wanted. He was talking very fast, i feel like he was not giving us time to think about what we want. How can i think on the spot where i want to relocate the sockets and stuff, its my first time. Again me and hub just agreed to what he had planned.. and now im regretting a lot about the relocating of the sockets in my kitchen. :(

Again i reminded him to do a proper quotation so that i can sign the contract, but he just ignored what i was saying n talked abt something else. I kept asking my husband, we had not signed our quotation contract why he want to start doing?

Few days later we told him we wanted to cancel the vinyl as we wanted to take Evorich. We did that cos we were not confident

in his vinyl, he kept saying to take not waterproof cheap, if waterproof same price as evorich and was hesitant to let me know which brand he was using for our vinyl.. So he said ok, but was quite sarcastic.

Cut the story short, when we realised what the haulage meant, we told him to adjust it as it didnt suit what we are doing, he said cant cos i had cancelled tiling/hacking/overlay,vinyl, so he need that amnt to profit his company.. He say he never adjust the other price of the other items when he shud cos we already signed the contract. I was shocked! To what i know we had not signed anything, then came the best part, he whatsapped me a picture of our signature. The paper with the signature was actually detached from the fake bank quotation. My heart dropped. Felt like i was cheated in broad daylight.

We met him the next day. My husband decided to gave in to him, as we are not the type of ppl who likes to argue. But in my point, this is actually wrong to charge a person $800 for nothing. He shud have informed me when i had cancelled.

Till today our reno is still on going. But thank god its abt to end soon. But im really not happy with the way he works and the way he handles things. Slow communication, when got prob, we watsapp ask questions, he lazy to reply he will simply ignore it.

There were a lot of errors in the process of choosing laminate, glass backsplash turned out completely different (we were not given any samples or advice that colour chosen will not turn out the same, T5 lights that he asked us to get, were wrong in size and they secretly bought another T5 which was a different colour and the thickness is different,. the hinges and hydraulics used

were of poor quality, carpenter himself said that the contractor stopped him from using good ones.Dish rack tray anytime can fall off, the sharp edges cant hit my quartz/sink or even hurt someone. Im spending almost 9k for my small kitchen and this is what i get.

Are there any lawyers or anyone that can give me some legal advise on what i can do.

Im so upset. renovating your love nest shud be fun and happy process, but im totally stressed out..

Hi, really feel sorry for you after hearing this.

I assume that you have not fully paid the reno works right?

Does his invoice states his Company name?

It is his duty to replace all defective goods, remember to snap all the pictures of defects.( record all the dates of installation and time)

Guest Success Shutters

Hi, really feel sorry for you after hearing this.

I assume that you have not fully paid the reno works right?

Does his invoice states his Company name?

It is his duty to replace all defective goods, remember to snap all the pictures of defects.( record all the dates of installation and time)