Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pavilonsim

Large Glass Sliding Door Solution Or Showroom

Am looking for sliding door solution to separate living room from kitchen. Unfortunately it's a 1.5m panel meeting a 2.5m panel at 45degree. Anybody come across any suppliers or showroom to get solutions ? Currently the IDs I've been speaking to suggested

1) top hung glass (which I feel may vibrate and not last as long) or

2) wide tracks (with 2 or 3 panels sliding on them) embedded in the floor

Hoping for an even better solution (if there is). Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Do folding door. It's lighter and easier to maintain. You can even find those trackless-at-bottom type.

Sliding glass door, then you need soft close. Don't think overall will be cheap. And I really dislike something on the floor that traps water and dirt, and the pain (physical pain) when you step on the tracks, worse than foot reflexology.

Edited by tost

Hi Pavilonsim,

i guess since its top hanging and it should be durable enough, thats very commonly seen in this market.

and whether it last long enough, it really depends on how you gonna maintain it. things have to maintain to last.

cheers!

Just an update (in case anyone else is also looking for a similar solution - am now exploring those wardrobe sliding doors - some as as thin as 0.5" with tracks only 1". Only concern is that the frame may be too flimsy to take heavy tempered glass. Still exploring. Look forward to more sharing from experts

From what I have seen so far, 10mm is a compromise between aesthetics and strength. If you want top hung without bottom tracks, 10mm is sufficient for general use. Anything above 10mm, the glass gets too heavy and I doubt the top hung mechanism can last long without support of bottom tracks. On another note, the sliding glass doors at shops and malls are typically top hung and used with high frequency too. From memory, some of the glass seems to be 10mm too.

yes, those shops use top hung 10mm glass, but the movement is usually motorized (which is more consistent and linear). At home, we will pushing/pulling along all planes and angles.

For top hung doors, there are brackets situated at floor level to ensure the door desn't deviate too far off its plane. For motorized doors, the movement frequency is high. If the top bracket is not durable, the impact on the top bracket would be as high or worse compared to a manual sliding door being pulled along different planar angles.

Just my deductions as a user. Not a door merchant!

Yes, most of the execution is top-hung. Still, if you have seen those 10mm tempered glass, you will wonder if they will last. Just a concern I have.

bro,

i think you worried too much.

all along in this market,10mm and top hung is commonly and generally used in home renovations. which in this forum hardly or never see anyone complaints about it.

things handle with care and maintenance will last a long way...

Good to worry more at planning stage and then close both eyes and hope for the best later. I would think not many home owners really implement such systems to even comment. Anyway, I've found a bottom-loaded solution which the vendor also admitted is more robust than any top hung system. Only problem is to maintain the bottom track well.