Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kaykay

A Corner 3-Room Flat To Call Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Really looks much better. :good:

Thanks.

Last night I lie awake in bed thinking hard.

"What theme am I trying to achieve?".

"Am I too brave not to engage ID but to trust my own taste?"

"Will it turn out a Rojak style and be a joke?"

"Are the dimensions of the fixtures feasible baswd on my estimation only?" (Contractor wants me to do a 90cm vanity, but I insist on a 70cm one to allow more space for furniture placement in the tiny bedroom..)

"Can the colours complimemt each other?" (Greys and light purples)..

Then I conclude. Renovation involves big steps of faith. Just follow my instincts and live with confidence, regardless of what others say..

Then I fell asleep with a smile.

• Like 1

Theme is not really important.

Most important is you are comfortable with the house and the feel of it

You're right.

What's most important is how comfortable you are living in the house you designed. And be confident of your decisions you crack your brain over..

I went up to take a look at the narrow (width 70cm) vanity space with my wife. The first words that came out of her mouth is... "wah so small??!!??"..

My confidence took a big hit. Haha..

Looks like I have to have more faith in myself.

And keep moving on. And on. And on..

• Like 1

Did you have any luck checking with the town council if water proofing was done? I too purchased a top floor unit with spalling ceiling. Am also concerned after renovation will end up the same if water proofing not done before :(

Some pics of the spalling ceiling.

20140224_145531.jpg

20140224_145525.jpg

I managed to speak with the town council and HDB.

Unfortunately, both these parties are oppositions in the government, so some tai-chi masters at work were evident. (No prizes for guessing who the masters are..)

However, I assured both of them that I will settle the patchup work costs myself.

I just needed the town council to ensure that waterproofing is done up properly, otherwise my repairs would have been in vain.

This is the bigger headache to me - the slantedness of the wall.

The house is already very small. To contend with furniture placement on slanted walls add to the pain.

20140228_165559.jpg

20140228_165736.jpg

Taking a closer look, it seems that certain walls are slanted by more than my initial estimation of 2-3degrees..Sigh..

Did you have any luck checking with the town council if water proofing was done? I too purchased a top floor unit with spalling ceiling. Am also concerned after renovation will end up the same if water proofing not done before :(

Hi Surf,

I guess the only way to check is to consistently call the estate officer to find out. The estate officer assigned to my case was transferred out recently, and I'm still waiting to contact the new guy.

But from what I know, the waterproofing for the roof has not been relaid as of now.

I think we have to persue persistently until they are tired of our nagging. Haha

Thanks! I am also trying to get in touch with the hdb officer to check, will update you again!

Hi Surf,

I guess the only way to check is to consistently call the estate officer to find out. The estate officer assigned to my case was transferred out recently, and I'm still waiting to contact the new guy.

But from what I know, the waterproofing for the roof has not been relaid as of now.

I think we have to persue persistently until they are tired of our nagging. Haha

Let's talk about hiding the view of water pipes today.

In the limited space of my miniscule toilets, boxing up of pipes is our of the question for me.

However, too many exposed pipes clutter up the space too, leaving an undesired impression of small space too.

So I had a discussion with the conractor.

The first thing we will do is "Back-to-Back" pipes for shower mixers between the common and mbr toilets.

See photo collage here. Yes, I am only overlaying tiles to save $$.

PhotoGrid_1397710070318.jpg

The 2 holes are punched in the wall seperating the common and mbr toilet. The water pipes will only be exposed in the common toilet.

So there is completely no exposed pipes in the mbr toilet at all!

I will take another photo when the finished product is completed.

As for the incoming water for the vanity counter which is relocated out of the mbr toilet, the inlet pipes will run in from the kitchen wall, served by a hole punched through the wall.

Likewise, drainage pipe from the vanity counter will flow out directly to the floor trap in the kitchen.

Therefore no visible pvc drain pipe in the mbr toilet too!

The overall objective is to minimise visual of exposed piping in the mbr.

I am also trying to save some more money by attempting to install mosaic tiles myself.

Yes you heard me right. D.I.Y. I.N.S.T.A.L.L. M.O.S.A.I.C. T.I.L.E.S.

I ordered mosaic tiles from Taobao, at a cost of less than S$2 per sq ft.

This is so much cheaper than the average $9 to $12 for equivalent tiles sourced locally.

My contractor quoted me $500 to lay these mosaics. However, I thought to myself.. How difficult can it get, when I can easily get more than a few hundred hits when I searched Youtube for instructions on DIY mosaic installation.

The area is not large, only 4m wide x 1.2m tall.

It will sit above the 2ft glass backsplash above the kitchen cabinet.

Since this glass backsplash will be perfectly horizontal, my task sounds simpler still.

So I courageously tell my contractor to remove this item from the quote.

Am I overly ambitious? Hahahaha...

By any chance, anyone out there has some of the tools for mosaic installation that I can borrow?

Glass tile nipper / cutter

Trowel with V-notch

Grout float

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I am also trying to save some more money by attempting to install mosaic tiles myself.

Yes you heard me right. D.I.Y. I.N.S.T.A.L.L. M.O.S.A.I.C. T.I.L.E.S.

I ordered mosaic tiles from Taobao, at a cost of less than S$2 per sq ft.

This is so much cheaper than the average $9 to $12 for equivalent tiles sourced locally.

My contractor quoted me $500 to lay these mosaics. However, I thought to myself.. How difficult can it get, when I can easily get more than a few hundred hits when I searched Youtube for instructions on DIY mosaic installation.

The area is not large, only 4m wide x 1.2m tall.

It will sit above the 2ft glass backsplash above the kitchen cabinet.

Since this glass backsplash will be perfectly horizontal, my task sounds simpler still.

So I courageously tell my contractor to remove this item from the quote.

Am I overly ambitious? Hahahaha...

By any chance, anyone out there has some of the tools for mosaic installation that I can borrow?

Glass tile nipper / cutter

Trowel with V-notch

Grout float

Thanks in advance

You are very ambitious :)

What are you going to use to stick the mosaic on the wall? tile adhesive, mortar?

Looking forward to your updates.

• Like 1

You are very ambitious :)

What are you going to use to stick the mosaic on the wall? tile adhesive, mortar?

Looking forward to your updates.

Haha.. sometimes I amaze myself with my optimism..

I will update as I go along. However I'm quite sian about buying the tools that I will probably use once.

That's why I'm asking around for loan of tools.

For sticking of tiles I will be asking my tiler for advice this Tuesday. Grouting will be another material I think.

Btw I have requested my tiler to leave me a smooth and flat surface for easier application. The curry puffs and 100Plus drinks I invested in them over the last week helps a lot. Hahaha..

• Like 3

After sending email to HDB, was told to contact the town council. After contacting the town council, was told that they will do the water proofing at the rooftop covering the area of my whole place. So I suggest that you apply pressure on the town council to fix it :)

Thanks! I am also trying to get in touch with the hdb officer to check, will update you again!

Woah big project ...

Hope it will be successful and rem to share the pic

@kaykay, I'm camping here to see the results of your DIY! I'm excited for ya ;)

Thanks guys.

The installation of the mosaics can only be done after the cabinets are installed. Earliest 3 weeks from now.

I'm getting excited too. Haha.

15 years ago I installed the laminate floor for my 3 bedrooms all by myself.

1 room a day.

It was back breaking but truly satisfying. Not forgetting wallet saving too.

Edited by kaykay

• Like 1