Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
heymari

Tv Or Projector?

I'm considering whether to get a screen projector instead of a TV for my new home. Any guys have experience with screen projectors and can share with me? Thanks in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Projector has VERY BIG screens but not really high definition compared to TV.

The projector also have a 'lamp life' which you need to change your lamp.

TV is honestly better. Faster boot up time. Projector like need to wait for it to turn fully on.

The key factor to decide Projection or TV:

When we talk about projection we are talking screen sizes in the range of over 100".... a TV that big cost more than 100k, but the money to get 120" image by projection will only buy you a 60" or less TV.

For casual users usually just a TV will suffice, but those looking for an immersive movie experience usually set up projection system.

Regards to TV Vs Projector and screen, it is a simple approach to it .

Firstly are you a movie buff ? Do you like to play games ? Keen in singing Karaoke?

If yes than projection and screen will be an option to consider . Provided you have sufficient throw distance to get the image size .

TV are some thing you use on a daily basis for those short moment , but there are people just have a large screen display for every thing .

Now a days the projector and screen has come to match with the current TV resolution the basics are Full HD 1080P and the newer models are 4K or UHD resolution .

A very decent set up for projection on a 100" size can set you back $4000 dollars , depending on screen size motorize or manual . Type for projector and resolution which can go as far as $15, 000 .

Hope that helps

A 1080p on a TV is 1080p, and a 1080p projector is 1080p; same resolution for both. It's the quality of the projection source that matters. Picture quality is subjective. Some find the Best Denki / Courts type of tv demo sharp and hi def, while videophiles do not want to be associated with those picture settings. End of the day, you need to be clear what you want in order to decide :)

I am also considering a projector + motorized screen (concealed) for a more minimalist design of the living room. The primary concern would be the short throw distance, ambient light, and HD quality.

I have narrowed down to 2 models:

Benq W1070+ S$1499

Epson TW6600 S$2099 (can get around $1.9k)

Preferred Epson due to its 3LCD technology, and its wireless version means that only 1 cable will be required for the projector, for power supply.

Anyone installed projector and motorized screen in the living room care to share your experience? :-)

I used to have a projector setup for my home theater. Projector is troublesome. Need to change bulb inside like once a year. It will get dimmer and dimmer and u lose contrast on picture. Then need to close all curtain and keep room dark for best picture quality. This is why I switched to LED TV. Now TV also come in 60 inches which is cinematic enuf for me.

Edited by Buzzy

What's the lumens for your projector? I tot bulb only change 4-6k hours?

I think that rating is for the bulb to fully die out. The bulb will get dimmer and dimmer with use. I compensated by increasing brightness and contrast everytime it gets a little dim. After a year the picture quality will drop. The moment you put in a new bulb, you will notice the difference immediately. This was like 4 years ago since I changed from projector to LED TV, so I not sure if the technology for projectors has improved. I must also add that I was a heavy user. I used to watch like 1 movie a day weekdays and 3 to 4 on weekends and public holidays. So if u watch lesser the bulb will last u longer. One more thing, make sure ur motorized screen is still accessible for repair. Mine spoiled twice and had to get it repaired.