Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi All,

I am heavily considering Cement Screeding/staining for my new home. What are the pros and cons of doing such especially for HDB.

1) I've heard about crackings, is ther any way to prevent that from happening.

2) Any local contractors that you can reccomend?

3) Cost? Is it much costly than having tiles?

Your kind advise will be efry much appreciated.

Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Cracks seems inevitable due to the movement on the ground. (maybe your neighbour is hacking their floor tiles)

If your already have tiles then you would have to hack which is another cost. Otherwise it should be cheaper since its just a layer of cement?

Tiles also have different pricing due to their size and design. (then lay on the group with cement)

Hope it helps!! :)

actually, there is no good workmanship on cement screed. this is because no matter how good the worker is, once the cement is cured (dried) hairline cracks will sure form.

cement screed is basically wet cement levelled smooth, that's all.

the contractor who did up mine is quite good, on the beams and wall, can choose rough(beams) and smooth(feature wall) finish. but my contractor did mention that cracks will form eventually no matter what. As it is the characteristics of cement screed. Confirm cannot touch up the screeds as the grey tone will be different and look very ugly.

I have done cement screed. Cracking is normal.

Will be doing the epoxy finish soon as the finale.

the contractor who did up mine is quite good, on the beams and wall, can choose rough(beams)...

Actually, is that considered stucco-painting instead of cement-screeding?

Maybe u can try those tiles in hafary that looks like cement screed

I've been looking for such tiles? Any recommendations? The few (tiles) I've come across look more like dark granite than real cement-screed.

A forumner has applied lacquer to the cement screed floor. You can consider that too.

Will the lacquer finishing make the cement screed floor feel very sticky, i.e. too grippy, & take away from the authentic feel of the screed? I understand the lacquer makes the cement screed floor less dusty & more stain-resistant.

I have done cement screed. Cracking is normal.

Will be doing the epoxy finish soon as the finale.

Is this type of epoxy finish the same as the lacquer finish mentioned above? If I wish to do it, may I know how to describe this extra service to my contractors?

Hi there, just collected the keys to our new bto too. Am very keen to cement screed/plaster the walls and ceiling.

Have been meeting up with many contractors with varied response. Some claim to be able to do it some didn't.

Anyone in the forum has screed/plastered their walls? (able to post some pictures of the finished product, please)

Is it also true that if we are considering to do false ceiling, it is definitely a no no for cement screed/plaster?

Any kind advice will be greatly appreciated :good:

Thanks in advance! :sport-smiley-018:

Is this type of epoxy finish the same as the lacquer finish mentioned above? If I wish to do it, may I know how to describe this extra service to my contractors?

Not sure if epoxy is same as lacquer. You can just ask contractor to quote you the service to paint a protective layer to the cement screed.

From what I know, there is 2 grade of epoxy with different costs.