Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi there everyone, my dad just told me that we can get cheaper price if we outsource separate companies rather that taking an id to do the whole unit.

He said that for vinyl flooring, doors and grilles,false ceiling go direct to the company for quotation is much cheaper and its true. i Asked several companies for vinyl flooring and all quoted around 3800. Whereby id/contactor quote me 4454 to almost 5K.

As for kitchen cabinet and tiles overlay for toilet & kitchen can ask contractor and id to do. I know it seems a lil trouble but at least can save up a bit. Has anybody done their home this way??

Any vinyl companies to recommend? Any doors company to recommend? And any id to recommend for my kitchen and toilet?

Thank you!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Actually, you should ask a few contractors to quote for the works to be done. Sometimes, to make things cheaper, it creates more hassle. Let a few contractors quote and then choose which is the most comfortable that you will want to work with. If you need any contacts, feel free to PM me

Reno is like a production flow making a final product.

Imagine u're production mgr w/o supervisor, workers in every minutes ask u this and that. Worth save $ to get one sup?

Co A & B might get into mess/fight, if confict of interest arise.

Who come in first, why take so long, bo swee....very common

Liciencing, permit, warranty - good to have a single pt of contact.

ID is like a 'system integrator'.

Of course, u can do everything and anything yourself if really can't spare the $.

Hi all, just check if a contractor is able to give advice and contribute his opinion when I told him my idea? I scare contractor will follow blindly my idea but cannot detect any potential flaw in design or feasibility. I know ID confirm will not make this mismatch mistake cos they are the one who design my house. But I am on budget and I have a bit of idea, so thinking of engaging in a contractor. Pls help me~

yeah it may be very messy to coordinate.

also lead to dispute if one contractor damage something done by another contractor.

An experienced contractor will be able to point out flaws and offer suggestions but you definitely must have some ideas, particularly for the major works.. At first, my husband and I also thought of getting an ID but after talking to two IDs, we realised that an experienced ID charges quite a bit (i.e. markups can be on the high side) and the cheaper ones can be quite inexperienced (she was quite clueless about a lot of things).. But if you are lucky and do enough research, you might be able to find an experienced ID that charges reasonably. Do ask around for recommendations..

In the end we decided to take the leap and engage a contractor.. So far, he has been very accommodating to us changing our minds about stuffs even after we have discussed it and somewhat finalised the details.. He also helped to coordinate the different sub-contractors he has employed and is willing to make rectifications when necessary.. But for carpentry, we got the help of my dad who used to be a carpenter to help us draw and liaise with our contractor as we have little clue about designing the kitchen..

Hi all, just check if a contractor is able to give advice and contribute his opinion when I told him my idea? I scare contractor will follow blindly my idea but cannot detect any potential flaw in design or feasibility. I know ID confirm will not make this mismatch mistake cos they are the one who design my house. But I am on budget and I have a bit of idea, so thinking of engaging in a contractor. Pls help me~

• Like 1

yeah it may be very messy to coordinate.

also lead to dispute if one contractor damage something done by another contractor.

Ah yes, conflicts is what I worried about too. Renovation is really a headache process...

An experienced contractor will be able to point out flaws and offer suggestions but you definitely must have some ideas, particularly for the major works.. At first, my husband and I also thought of getting an ID but after talking to two IDs, we realised that an experienced ID charges quite a bit (i.e. markups can be on the high side) and the cheaper ones can be quite inexperienced (she was quite clueless about a lot of things).. But if you are lucky and do enough research, you might be able to find an experienced ID that charges reasonably. Do ask around for recommendations..

In the end we decided to take the leap and engage a contractor.. So far, he has been very accommodating to us changing our minds about stuffs even after we have discussed it and somewhat finalised the details.. He also helped to coordinate the different sub-contractors he has employed and is willing to make rectifications when necessary.. But for carpentry, we got the help of my dad who used to be a carpenter to help us draw and liaise with our contractor as we have little clue about designing the kitchen..

Thanks for the input. Normally does people show the contractor a picture of what they want? I wanted to take some example here and there from magazine but don't want a full blown reno. Not sure if a contractor allows me to do this.

Think it is ok to show your contractor some pictures.. In fact, it might help you to better communicate your ideas to the contractor.. If the contractor says no to everything you show him saying it is not possible or difficult to do, then my suggestion would be to take your money elsewhere and find another contractor.. It is important fir you to find a contractor who will be open to your ideas and if it is really not possible, then offer suggestions that will give you the look that you want without compromising safety and quality.. I feel that while it is important for you to listen to the contractor since he is most likely more experienced than you when it comes to renovation, it is also not wrong for you to expect some form of respect from the contractor in relation to your ideas as it is your money and your home.. all the best!

Ah yes, conflicts is what I worried about too. Renovation is really a headache process...

Thanks for the input. Normally does people show the contractor a picture of what they want? I wanted to take some example here and there from magazine but don't want a full blown reno. Not sure if a contractor allows me to do this.

Actually, you can show him a picture of the desired look for your house. However, you will also need him to go down to the site to make sure your desired design gels in to the rest of the house. I think you do not want a part of the house to stick out like a sore thumb.

If you don't have any idea of what design or style you want for your renovation, you can find an ID which you pay for their consultant fees. If you already know what you wanted just find or google pictures and tell the contractor what you want. They can do what you want as ID only design and work done by contractors.

My 2 cents....

sorry to hijack the thread.

i'm in the same dilemma.

i'm not doing much.

I'm just doing the following:

• 8ft and 7.5ft bottom only kitchen (lam chuan) cabinet preferably with granite or quartz surface
    • install oven, hob, hood, sink and tap
  • 6ft full wardrobe (lamitax) with sliding
  • installation of bathtub with encashment with matching tiles from hdb
  • installation and supply of window for utility (Best View window)
  • installation and supply of frosted glass doors for both toilets (engage glass door supplier and use their contractor to fix it?)
  • installation of lights (get handyman?)
  • installation of other accessories (get handyman?)
  • installation of aircon (can this be done by the aircon contractor?)
  • installation of gas heater from powergas (can this be done by powergas?)
  • paint (diy or engage painting contractor direct from nippon paint)
    • 'cos i want undercoat

Any 2 cents is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there everyone, my dad just told me that we can get cheaper price if we outsource separate companies rather that taking an id to do the whole unit.

He said that for vinyl flooring, doors and grilles,false ceiling go direct to the company for quotation is much cheaper and its true. i Asked several companies for vinyl flooring and all quoted around 3800. Whereby id/contactor quote me 4454 to almost 5K.

As for kitchen cabinet and tiles overlay for toilet & kitchen can ask contractor and id to do. I know it seems a lil trouble but at least can save up a bit. Has anybody done their home this way??

Any vinyl companies to recommend? Any doors company to recommend? And any id to recommend for my kitchen and toilet?

Thank you!

I think it is not worth the extra work cos the correct process to get all the thing done in the correct sequences do require some professional experience..

For Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) items such as ceiling fans, sanitary and lighting items, my advice is not to go to the retail shops that the ID recommends. The ID gets at least 20% commission from your purchase and the prices are cut-throat. My friend learnt the hard way when he spent $120K to fully renovate his 5-rm HDB resale flat.

• Like 1

It is usually recommended to engage ID for their professional services, not only they will be in-charge of the coordination (you don't have to take frequent leaves) and ultimately be your one point warranty handler. Imagine 3 different things need to be touch-up etc, you will need to engage 3 different parties and coordinate on a suitable time for them and you, why no just engage ID and they will handle everything for you?

Yes it is definitely cheaper, you might save 20%+- of cost, but usually this will increase your headache later as well.

By the way, I'm not an ID, just a laminate flooring supplier, I have been engaged by many homeowners, I will usually recommend them to engage ID, as they will carefully plan the layout and maximize your space, at a higher cost. But of course, most of the time, they still come back directly to me.

i think it's better to get a contractor/ID to do it all. Not just saving time and effort and coordination works, but also different works need to be tallied. Example, the plumber who does water pipes and the worker who does my concrete sink base are 2 different people and they need to talk to know where to leave gaps for the pipes, etc. get a few different quotations and compare. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1