Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

For Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) items such as ceiling fans, sanitary and lighting items, my advice is not to go to the retail shops that the ID recommends. The ID gets at least 20% commission from your purchase and the prices are cut-throat. My friend learnt the hard way when he spent $120K to fully renovate his 5-rm HDB resale flat.

I bought all my fans from msia, 30%-40% cheaper compared to sg. Even if i include the petrol costs and effort to go in and buy, it's still cheaper.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I bought all my fans from msia, 30%-40% cheaper compared to sg. Even if i include the petrol costs and effort to go in and buy, it's still cheaper.

Do you get taxed for bringing it in? I mean, you have to declare it right. Just curious on how much it cost

• Like 1

Do you get taxed for bringing it in? I mean, you have to declare it right. Just curious on how much it cost

Won't tax if does not exceed the limit. Fan is indeed much much cheaper there.

• Like 1

Won't tax if does not exceed the limit. Fan is indeed much much cheaper there.

Get ALL electrical stuffs here then resell, millionaire liao!

Better to declare, else custom officer may ask when they check ur boot. Produce receipt upon declaring, custom officer will convert to sgd and tax 7%. Won't get taxed if ur purchases don't exceed allowed quota. I can't remember how much the quota is. Nways, with 7% GST, still cheaper than buying in sg lo.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Better to declare, else custom officer may ask when they check ur boot. Produce receipt upon declaring, custom officer will convert to sgd and tax 7%. Won't get taxed if ur purchases don't exceed allowed quota. I can't remember how much the quota is. Nways, with 7% GST, still cheaper than buying in sg lo.

Hope this helps

I totally agree, better safe then sorry, you are already saving a part of the cost, the additional savings is not worth the potential risk if any. And I believe they won't really charge if required, so its yeah, better safe then sorry.

Getting direct to various sub con is possible, but of course with more coordinating works to do. If you are not doing a major overhaul with complex design, it can be done with some effort.

First of all you will need to know the flow of the project, and do be there when a new work is starting to prevent conflicts between the sub-cons.

You will need to arm yourself with some renovation knowledge (renotalk have plenty) and monitor the project closely. Be prepared to take some off from your work days if you are having office hours jobs. I worked with some customer who engaged me for a minority of works but outsource others to various sub cons. The bad experiences ones are always with sub cons which delayed the jobs.

Get it all planned out and work closely, I am sure you will have a great sense of satisfaction!

First home, everything DIY - went to 'sources' direct and made purchases. Days and nights....Simply no spare $ but got time and full of energy. Shiok.

12 yrs later, got a condo, with some $ but no time, engaged ID - feeling great - my design! ID just carried out instructions.

Another 4 yrs later, got a resale hdb, accumulated more $, engaged back same ID - whack the whole unit---again my design, shiok.

1 yr later, right after moq, got a fh 850sqft - no ID, no design. Buy light, asked seller installed then rent whole unit out for passive income.

Can anyone share the experience and tips of doing the renovation with partial works by ID and partial works i sub to other contractors(which i coordinate myself)?

first of all, your ID needs to be comfortable with it. some groups of sub con will not interact so much with each other. For e.g, the doors or windows with the air-con. But definitely, your schedule of works need to flow nicely and correctly. the sequencing must be correct. some Id who is helpful enough will be able to plan it out for u. There are some who needs to work closely with though. Examples, the tiler and the plumber, or the electrician and carpenter.

Do up a detailed schedule and stretch out the days just in case there are any delays. you don’t want to be caught in a situation whereby the electrician delayed the works and the painter and carpenter will have to reschedule their installation days. Sub-cons have their scheduled worked out as well, if you delay, sometimes they are not able to come on the specific date you want.

do not put any valuable things or items in your house unless you are there to supervise throughout the whole day. if anything goes missing or damage, no one will admit and you will have a headache with all the finger pointing games.

Give yourself more than enough time for the project.

Hope these helps!

• Like 1