Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wansywans

Pros And Cons To Setup An Altar At Home?

Hi All

I noticed a lot of the younger generation are not setting up an altar at their home. The reasons they gave were space constraints, non believer or does not 'beautify' their house etc. And in a few weeks i will be getting my keys to my new HDB 4-room. That's when the dilenma starts. I came from a buddhist family and my mom is a very religious person. However, my wife belong to the younger generation and she is constantly pleading with me not to have an altar. Please advise how can i please both sides?

I understand that the altar at home is not meant to 'look after' the house or to keep out those 'dirty things'. It is a space for spiritual calmness and stability.... But the elderlys does not seem to agree...their perception is 'good' vibe or prescence constantly.... Is there anything that Feng Shui can help? For me myself, i can visit tempe to pray regularly and i do not mind if there is altar or not.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Altar is a physical mean or 'platform', for putting physical 'offerings', to offer to God, for the purposes of:

- rememebrance of master and steward relationship

- plead for forgiveness

God likes this form of 'bridging' during old testament (first 5 bks of bible provide great insight).

Am sure that this form of altar 'offering' was established since ancient Chinese Taoism.

My understanding is that Buddism stresses 'Kong' = emptiness = no God = no offering = no 'bridging' needed = no altar, only 'Self'.

Time passes, God 'change'(aldy indicated in old testament bks) his mind, through His son, physical offering becomes PRAYER as well as 'daily doings' . God looks at 'heart' and 'mind', not behaviour. He knows behaviour is the result of 'heart' and/or 'mind'. Whatever you do daily is the 'offering' to HIM. The 'altar' has been moved to within heart.

I write so much......hope....u can tell your mom/wife...daily doings are 'offering'. Need no physical iconic altar for ppl to 'see your sincerity', as sincerity speaks in form of behaviour. Today's altar has been 'upside down' - steward on top, master below.

FS stresses 'cause and effect relationship' - eg: He who helps others help himself. It has nothing to do with altar.

Hi All

I noticed a lot of the younger generation are not setting up an altar at their home. The reasons they gave were space constraints, non believer or does not 'beautify' their house etc. And in a few weeks i will be getting my keys to my new HDB 4-room. That's when the dilenma starts. I came from a buddhist family and my mom is a very religious person. However, my wife belong to the younger generation and she is constantly pleading with me not to have an altar. Please advise how can i please both sides?

I understand that the altar at home is not meant to 'look after' the house or to keep out those 'dirty things'. It is a space for spiritual calmness and stability.... But the elderlys does not seem to agree...their perception is 'good' vibe or prescence constantly.... Is there anything that Feng Shui can help? For me myself, i can visit tempe to pray regularly and i do not mind if there is altar or not.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Pleasing both sides......yoyo.....I think really fat hope lor.....do a modern altar, maybe can please both sides lor.

Hi,

I would like to clarify this point, an alter in the house is not only for spiritual calmness but like your parents said, it is also for spiritual protection. Having an alter in the house will ward off spirit attachment. Spirit after attached to humans will feed on their energy, much like a leech. May I propose engaging a psychic to check out your new house energy level, 气场, first before deciding what to do next. This will give you and you wife time to discuss and make sound decisions based on evidence.