Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AxelC

Never Let It Go

It has been a long battle, spanning over 8 months before I finally took the ID company to task. The ID company which I have engaged to renovate my house did not take responsibility for the defects. Like those irresponsible company, they have thousands of reasons to push the blame to others, to change appointment as and when they want and to play the disappearing act.

Many would probably have given up chasing. I have decided to persevere and I must say there's a lot of work to be done to seek compensation at Small Claims Tribunal. Just to share my experience (so that others who are in similar situation) know what to do.

1. Documentation

This is very important when you are doing renovation. Everything has to be black and white. Otherwise, when things go wrong, it's your words against the ID company. Any important details in conversations can be followed up with a message. DO NOT DELETE THE CHAT HISTORY! Keep it as supporting evidence in the event you plan to file with Small Claims Tribunal.

2. Proper Procedure

If you have enough nonsense from the ID company and plan to seek compensation, i.e. money order, you must prove that you have given them the time and chance to do the work (your chat history should show this). I took the following steps:

1. Communicate clearly to ID the issues at hand (e.g. What's the problem and what has not been done)

2. File with CASE (a letter will be issued, to either get the ID company to do the work or compensate)

3. Ask for 3rd party quotations

4. File with Small Claims Tribunal

Be prepared to take time off to get things done. I spent 4 afternoons - CASE, first consultation, further consultation and hearing before a referee at Small Claims Tribunal. Your documents to be submitted especially the sequence of events has to be done properly. Your chat history with the ID company will be useful as you recall the details of the events.

To bring ID company to task is not an easy process. Many have suffered and I strongly believe that such ID company should not be let off easily. For those who are having problems, never let it go! For my case, the court was in my favor and I managed to get the money I needed for a 3rd party to do rectification work.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Cheers. I'm in the process of getting an ID myself.

If I do land in such an unpleasant situation as yours, I'd do the same too. Even if it means spending 5K in legal fees to recover 2K, I'd do it for justice sake. Not to forget getting their name on every online media possible !

• Like 1