Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Just placed deposit for a 25 yrs old 5 room 1302 sq ft.

This place is fully original, even door frames are slightly rotting and all doors, windows and grilles need to change. Electrical also.

I have emailed several companies and all tried to shove me their packages. But because of the extent of work required, it become up to me to go and "catch" what is missing from their package. After a while, it became very tiring. Almost signed up with Ciseern at Expo yesterday cos their package was so comprehensive that it even included sofa, aircon (yes even aircon need replacement) and cooker/hob. But my wife told me to hold and when I came home, I realized that it was at least 11k off my budget. I shouldn't be stretching my budget as my new house installment 40% already have to be paid by cash every month.

I'm looking for someone who will give me a detailed quotation and TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO rather than leave it to me to check their quotation. I'm a very easy going guy when I'm a customer. A lot of things can cham seong, but when it comes to hidden cost it sends me into a rage as I myself is very transparent dealings.

Any recommendation ?

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Btw, because of my budget, I'm realistic. I don't expect designer home, but I need everything that needs to be done to be done. Ceiling, walls, floors, windows, grilles, door, gate. I have a couple of requirements to hack wall and build partition. But end of the day, I willing to give up on fancy carpentry work.

Hi Dylanchua,
I can emphatize your agony. I went through the long list of id selection based on research and friends recommendations. I painfully tried to compare quotes by quotes.

**edited**

Edited by Advertising Staff

Hi Dylanchua, You can try contacting my id from **. I believe my id is the type of id you are looking for. Have pmed you the contact.

Edited by Advertising Staff
advertisement

Hi Dylanchua,
Yes, I believe it's the same co. Do you know who liaise with you?

**edited**

Hi Dylanchua,

I will strongly recommend my ID from Ideal Design Interior. I feel that he is quite professional in his advice.

However, my house is BTO 4-room at Sengkang so less things to do then yours.

I think your haulage fees will be a bomb so be careful on that.

I've been receiving PMs from members introducing their ID (dunno self advert or not) and also from IDs themselves.

I'd like to thank everyone for their response. I've already selected Designer House (Tiler Seng) for my renovation works.

After comparing 12 quotations, I found their quotation most reasonable.

I started with submitting a request here and receiving 8-9 standard package quotations. Then I finalised my requirements and 4-5 responded with amended ones. The rest couldn't be bothered to do anything else other than sending me packages.

While evaluating these quotations, there was a weekend when I went to Expo and look see look see. Ciseern had this fantastic package with free this free that and rebate on GST and all the frills. I nearly signed up, but was pulled back by my wife. On second thoughts, after dissecting the quote, they aren't any much cheaper than other firms. Lucky she stopped me.

Then I was pulled into Unimax booth. Was talking to an ID when another more senior one bumped into the conversation. He started telling me to put a $500 deposit. I told him their package don't cover everything that I need, and I can't put a deposit on something which I dunno the cost. I explained that I have a low budget of $30K and though I don't need fancy carpentry (for furniture I intend to go the Ikea way rather than custom built), I will need some hacking of walls here and there. I say I rather u work out the quote, then I deposit. He assure me that they will definitely work within my budget, and later on say deposit $200 also no problem. With the deposit, they will work out the quote AND 3D drawings. So I gave them my hard earned $200. In the end, they were the LAST firm to quote, and that is after several reminders, and I was given 3 miserable drawings which looked liked it was drawn for another client, not specially for me. And their quote was a whopping $57K (all my other quotes were $7K to $16K less). Talk about working within my budget!

Anyway, I gave up on them and continued discussing with the last 4 firms on my shortlist. And then finally whittled down to 2. Designer House's quote was 6K more than the lowest quote. I was about to go with the lowest quote when I discovered several items inside Tiler Seng's quote which is missing from the other firm, including 23ft of kitchen cabinet. After deducting the missing items and 23ft of kitchen cabinet (we will finalise the qty when we get to measure on site), Tiler Seng turned out to be the lowest quote.

I'll be inspecting the house on 24th and collecting keys in about 2 weeks time. Will be doing up my T-Blog as it goes along.

Hi, can share the scope? I bought a resale 5 room and will be keeping the floorings.. Thanks..

• Like 1

Hi Binzz, I won't post quotations as I feel everyone's requirements are different even though it may look the same. If I post, it may cause readers to mistook one firm for being either too ex or very cheap when the truth could be other wise. It's fun to look ard and discuss, so I encourage u to do that.

But just to give u an idea, I'm redoing EVERYTHING. Including doors and window grilles and main gate. Only new windows are the balcony and balcony sliding doors will be changed to nyatoh wood frame. I'll also be hacking some walls and extending one wall. All in all, about 40-42k depending on the finalization during site measurement for those that cost by foot. This is exclude electrical work and aircon.

Hi Dylan, thanks. Sorry if you mis-interpret my request, i would like to know the scope which you had brieftly mentioned already, listing the breakdown would be too much to ask for as different contractors mark up at different areas.

Does your cost includes the doors and gates? Thats a very competitive price if it includes. Are you doing very little carpentry?

Hi Binz, yes 4 bedroom doors and one wrought iron gate. Only carpentry is kitchen cabinets and island, false ceilings and curtain pelmets.

What I did was combine all the packages and quotes i received in an excel file and remove unwanted items and ask them to revise their quotes.

When comparing, u will need to see the quantity for each item. For eg, by lump sum, kitchen cabinet, A may seem higher than B. But actually because A quote more length. When u divide by foot, then u will see who is cheaper.

I'd strongly encourage you to get Tiler Seng for one of your quotes. For actual works, I can't say as I've not started. But he seems to get consistently good reviews here on reliability and workmanship.

The other two lowest quotes (difference about 2K) were A2Z and Homestyle. But their way is use package then add on your additional requirements. So you gotta ensure those lump items in the package does include the full measurements required or u will need to top up. Andy (A2Z) and Eric (Homestyle) were pretty accommodating to my requests for quote and meet up. I wish I could give everyone business but I only have one house.

I signed with a contractor for my EM reno at 45k. Heard from my cousin from an ID firm that it is consider cheap. However my requirement are quite simple as it is basically painting and flooring for the whole flat, built in kitchen and reno the 3 toilets.