Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

We (the husband and I) are starting our renovation in three days. After months of sourcing for ideas and IDs, we have chosen to work with a contractor to create a little cosy home that we have been waiting on for three and a half years.

We are not doing any hacking as we need all three bedrooms. And due to budget, we are keeping all the flooring and toilet fixtures that came with the flat. Honestly, we think the finishings are ok and count ourselves lucky for that. :) So, our renovation will kick off with electrical works, followed by air con installation this weekend.

First things first, the all-too-familiar floorplan:

13502174323_0f6478b7f3.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Does anyone have experience putting a power point in the bathroom? We're thinking of wiring one for the hairdryer but are currently stuck between convenience vs safety...

Does anyone have experience putting a power point in the bathroom? We're thinking of wiring one for the hairdryer but are currently stuck between convenience vs safety...

According to some HDB rulings, it is prohibited to install power point in bath rooms due to safety reasons.

But according to some who dont accord the rulings, they do have power point in the bath rooms.

So the decision is to one's discretion. Having power point in the wash room is useful eg. hair dryer, shavers etc.

What I see in Singapore's most star hotels, they have power point in the wash room for a plug in shaver.

So either is a double standard or Singaporeans are not up to standard for own's safety.

Another alternative is to install the point outside the bath room. :)

According to some HDB rulings, it is prohibited to install power point in bath rooms due to safety reasons.

But according to some who dont accord the rulings, they do have power point in the bath rooms.

So the decision is to one's discretion. Having power point in the wash room is useful eg. hair dryer, shavers etc.

What I see in Singapore's most star hotels, they have power point in the wash room for a plug in shaver.

So either is a double standard or Singaporeans are not up to standard for own's safety.

Another alternative is to install the point outside the bath room. :)

Thanks Ocean! In this case, I'd better check with the electrician on Wednesday... Yea, installing right outside the bathroom is another option :)

Hello lemoncandy,

Welcome to RT!

If you have a dressing table, the alternative is to use the hairdryer there :)

Hello lemoncandy,

Welcome to RT!

If you have a dressing table, the alternative is to use the hairdryer there :)

Hi jiawen, thanks! I've been following your blog :) Have you collected your keys yet?

Unfortunately, there isn't space for a dressing table. And since both of us use the hairdryer at different times, we thought that placing it in the bathroom would be a good way to contain the noise while the other party is sleeping :P

Just to share, these are some of the elements that will be in our home.

- brick wall (done to death, but I love it!)

- track lights

- pencil legs

- oak furniture

- wood frame

- lots of white

While I did tag this t-blog as scandinavian, I doubt that we will be keeping to it strictly :P like most home owners, we are just looking to incorporate stuff we love into the home to make it comfy and cosy.

Hi jiawen, thanks! I've been following your blog :) Have you collected your keys yet?

Unfortunately, there isn't space for a dressing table. And since both of us use the hairdryer at different times, we thought that placing it in the bathroom would be a good way to contain the noise while the other party is sleeping :P

Not yet collected keys, but our neighbours say after calling HDB, dates for key collection will be out in early April. Looking forward to that ;)

In that case I guess can choose to put just outside the bathroom, den have a hairdryer with long enough wire to carry in and use..

I always have a power point in the toilet at eye level on the wall beside the basin/mirror and I find it very convenient for hair dryer, shaver etc.

It is away from water source. Not sure about HDB regulations.

This is how the power point in my toilet looks like:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=826092

Edited by kstoh

• Like 1

hi lemoncandy... nice floor plan with a balcony... it is rare to have a balcony for a 4 roomer...

Hi bianzi, yes you're right! It is quite rare so we took the chance and grabbed a unit even though I'm quite scared of heights... haha

Some pictures of the interior:

Living room, from kitchen entrance

13504429583_d45a60bc37.jpg

Kitchen

13504689644_4b64610400.jpg

Bedroom 2

13504447153_f36fc96ab3.jpg

Common bathroom

13504445073_60a7bd7548.jpg

Master bedroom

13504442563_7f111e3b6c.jpg

new bto come with wood floorings ?

Just to share, these are some of the elements that will be in our home.

- brick wall (done to death, but I love it!)

- track lights

- pencil legs

- oak furniture

- wood frame

- lots of white

While I did tag this t-blog as scandinavian, I doubt that we will be keeping to it strictly :P like most home owners, we are just looking to incorporate stuff we love into the home to make it comfy and cosy.

totally agree. my theme will likely be "My family" :rofl:

anything that works for the peeps will be good to go.. heheh