Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ruffruff

Getting Ready For Spring ... Moreorless :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

welcome. indeed RT is a wealth of info and lots of helpful souls .

hope your reno journey is a pleasant one and looking forward to more pictures and updates

Welcome to RT!

We have very similar layout and I can feel your excitement coz I'm also getting keys soon!

Wishing you smooth reno ahead :)

Last Saturday went to U-Home to collect the quotation. A whooping 45k ... not including electric works and wooden flooring ... :~

Today, I sms the ID from Cottage Craft again, since it has been over a week and nothing heard till date. She told me that the quotation will be ready this week. Then I ask if we can have a look at the design first, since the quotation isn't ready. Then, she replied and said that once we are comfortable with the quotation, we have to pay up 15% of the quotation first before we can see the design.. :blink:

This is something really puzzling for me.. Is this a common practice? How can we be paying for something which we don't even know if they got our requirements and design right?

Can anyone kindly advice? :bow:

That doesn't sound right to me! What if you paid and they can't give you the design you want? Hmm...

Do you have an idea how your European classics or Victorian theme will look like? If you have an idea, then possibly you can try IDs who do not have experience in this area and yet they are willing to explore this theme...

I find that European classics or Victorian theme will be a bit tricky. For e,g,, if you talk about European classics, which European country are you referring to? Which era are you referring to? Pre-war or Post-war? The nobles? The castle type or the common folk type? Just my thoughts... Mine is very simple! Rojak theme! wahaha..

Good luck in your search! :)

Last Saturday went to U-Home to collect the quotation. A whooping 45k ... not including electric works and wooden flooring ... :~

Today, I sms the ID from Cottage Craft again, since it has been over a week and nothing heard till date. She told me that the quotation will be ready this week. Then I ask if we can have a look at the design first, since the quotation isn't ready. Then, she replied and said that once we are comfortable with the quotation, we have to pay up 15% of the quotation first before we can see the design.. :blink:

This is something really puzzling for me.. Is this a common practice? How can we be paying for something which we don't even know if they got our requirements and design right?

I thought it's 'common' practice, if by 'design', you mean the 3D pictures for your place. There are some bloggers who wrote that they part with a few $K as they didn't like the 3D renderings after the quote signing.

Unless you're talking about the flat layout drawing. Just drawing of some beds/wardrobe/TV placement from what I experienced during my ID/contractor hunting. These they give freely.

Hi,

Just want to share my experience with cottage crafts. I'm doing a European Classic style too. Those country folk kind. Haha.. Anyways went to them for reno quite and got back a whopping over budget cost too. The kitchen itself already costs $10k.

Though the ID was nice to tell me what design to do and all, it appears now to me that it's only applicable for those who can afford. I am going to give cottage crafts a miss, and is there anyone doing European classical theme with country folk style have ID to share with me?

Thanks

An honest opinion. Please give them a miss.

There are many more IDs out there and 95% will not request for any form of deposit prior to confirmation.

And to be fair, please do not request for any drawings if you are not ready to sign with them.

Any ID/contractor will not have the time nor effort to entertain drawings until you signed and paid a deposit.