Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone,

Like many young couples, my SO and I are really excited to get the keys for our future home. Since then I have been lurking around renotalk, absorbing experience and ideas shared by so many passionate homeowners.

As I will be starting my renovation soon, I feel that I should share my experience here, to contribute a little back to this awesome community.

My home is a 4-room BTO flat, located at the northeastern area of Singapore. As this is a premium project, it comes with HDB flooring and I opted for HDB door. Below is the floor plan and pictures of the living room.

FloorPlan_zps365fd7bc.jpg

Typical 4 room BTO floor plan. Realised many of my new neighbours hack away the wall between kitchen and dining area. Decided against an open concept kitchen as both of us are too lazy/busy to keep our kitchen neat and tidy all the time.

photo1_zps01468aa9.jpg

Recess wall in the living room. HDB should just fill up the recess area to make life easier for us. TV console will be placed here.

photo3_zpse298ba71.jpg

Still thinking of ideas for dining area feature wall. Dislike the wooden skirting around the living area and will be asking my ID to hack and replace them with matching tiles.

We have collected our keys in early March but the last month was spent rectifying the defects with HDB and sourcing for contractor/ID. Both tasks are long and daunting, and I am glad both of them have been sorted out.

During the meetings with different contractors/IDs, I have these criteria in mind:

1. Must incorporate our fengshui beliefs into the design

2. Pet friendly as we have a dog

3. Scandinavian theme (love the clean and simple look) with splashes of blue

4. Keep within our budget

5. The contractor/id must be able to commit and take care of our project personally, as we both work late

Finally found our chosen one and signed the contract over the weekend, journey should start next week.

Next, shopping time for air condition, hod, hood, sink and fridge....

Edited by Woonie

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I have always wanted to ask but too shy to ask. But since you are just starting, I ask you. What is Scandinavian theme?

I think almost 1 in 2 homes here are aiming for the scandi look or theme. But is that supposed to be minimalist, simplicity, functionality, natural, wooden, modern or a mixture?

I have always wanted to ask but too shy to ask. But since you are just starting, I ask you. What is Scandinavian theme?

I think almost 1 in 2 homes here are aiming for the scandi look or theme. But is that supposed to be minimalist, simplicity, functionality, natural, wooden, modern or a mixture?

I feel that Scandinavian theme is a mixture of minimalist and modern, with a fine balance of wood, texture and clean lines used.

For example, too much wooden furnitures used will give the house a resort-like or vintage feel, while if too much customised laminated furnitures used will give a more modern vibe.

To me the difficult part is to balance all the elements to achieve the look I want.

Welcome to RT fellow Ancillian here!

Hello fellow Ancillian! Have you started on your reno yet?

I feel that Scandinavian theme is a mixture of minimalist and modern, with a fine balance of wood, texture and clean lines used.

For example, too much wooden furnitures used will give the house a resort-like or vintage feel, while if too much customised laminated furnitures used will give a more modern vibe.

To me the difficult part is to balance all the elements to achieve the look I want.

Hello fellow Ancillian! Have you started on your reno yet?

Yup, my t-blog's at http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/64926-eas-habitat-buangkok/

No progress for renovation yet as waiting for ID's drawing, but managed to start buying some appliances.

1. Blanco sink from Hoe Kee

naya6_zps62280b41.jpg

2. Bosch Hob & Hoob

Saw this package on promotion @ Gain City and counter check price with Spam & GAB. GAB gives me such an attractive deal that I pay a deposit on the spot.

MCSA00426749_53180_DWW09W851B_def_zps536

MCSA00570023_205685_PBD7351SG_def_zps758

3. Rinnai Gas Heater

12-08-11-RinnaiREU-10RFM-25379b-300x198_

** Copied from City Gas Webby **

From 15 March to 30 April 2014, purchase the following products to enjoy delightful deals!

Purchase any Gas Water Heater and enjoy:
- Free gas pipe installation (up to $80)
- Free 6 month extended warranty (+1 year original warranty)
- 100% trade-in value for a new gas water heater*

Just these appliances alone is so tiring, can't imagine when its time to shop for furniture.

Wish me all the best!

Edited by Woonie

Hi woonie! All the best for your renovation! I wanna ask u something for the city gas heater it can be bought from anywhere that sells it right? Need not to be from sp services place in somerset does it?

Hi woonie! All the best for your renovation! I wanna ask u something for the city gas heater it can be bought from anywhere that sells it right? Need not to be from sp services place in somerset does it?

Hello asychanbaby,

I not sure about this but given the free gas pipe installation and 100% trade-in-value in the future if you need to change your heater, I am sure outside shops cannot match (;

Owww thanks for the info! I finally got a storage heater from AO smith instead. Don't know how good it is but knowing that we need rain shower we most probably need that storage heater for the pressure.

Congrats on your purchase!

I am getting a rainshower too and I shall solve the mystery of whether normal water pressure works for rainshower...

Heard that conventional rainshower works well, just don't get the one piece rainshower system.

Anyway I have received a piece of kompacplus from my ID, and have tested the sample under various scenarios. Stay tuned!