Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Aluminium doors are up! These will be used for toilets and entrances into the service yard. I'm also considering getting letter decals for the glass door. Like french cafe lettering. :wub:

The first pic is the door without the privacy film, and the second one with. You can get glass that's sandblasted of course. That would give a more classy finish but it's also more expensive.

1B4C25F8-8BB0-4306-B79D-8CA2D87B62D0_zps

2AAE2BE1-50A2-4E83-B380-1C3986C57AFC_zps

One issue with the master toilet though. Because the toilet is small and casement doors use up so much space, we have decided to have the toilet door swing out to the room instead of in to the toilet. Swinging in might have resulted in a clearance issue with the toilet bowl even though the workers said it should have just enough space. JUST enough space would also mean that when I'm inside and want to get out, I would have to squeeze into a teeny tiny corner of the toilet so that the door can open. That would be stupid. Oh if only we had a bigger toilet... :wacko:

how much you spend for the aluminium door? and can i have the contact of the person/company who did the door. thanks!

• Like 1

Dum Dum DUUUUUUUUM!! Ladies and Gents, may I present.... THE DUNGEON! *cue wild applause and merry making* :drunk:

88E7DA5B-73F9-43AF-BE82-4BA1D114943E_zps

8505EEA0-AE45-4345-A49B-0FF204809D81_zps

6A7A4957-F92E-4B74-BF76-D091FDC619F5_zps

I'm super chuffed with it! :D

It's not completed yet. They still have the door to add. Not to mention they will be welding on flat bars of steel over the border areas to make it pop more, and then adding on rivets on top of that to complete the piece. After that will be the touches of paint to add a bit of age and roughen the look up a bit. :sport-smiley-003:

Currently the edges all have gaps, generously contributed by the famous irregular surfaces of a HDB flat. Of course I can't just blame the flat. Even the panels lines between the panels have gaps but these will all be sealed up so that my aircon won't leak out. The edges to the walls will be with Cornice plaster, and the bits between the metal will be with silicon.

017B2CB4-C845-4052-A559-88F58213D5B3_zps

1927A8C8-D1DB-40A0-A0E7-D9842D59225B_zps

So so SO happy!! Have i mentioned that I'm totally in love with it? I'm totally in love with it!

• Like 3

I share your excitement..cos my vanity cabinet is up today as well and it looks like what I want exactly.. Can't wait to see the real thing

• Like 1

Received a call today from the principle designer of the firm with some bad news.

Apparently Kompacplus has released our shipment of material to another client! :jawdrop: He went on to elaborate that it seems that their sales team doesn't check with their supply team so they just sell regardless of their stocks. So someone else went first and they got it despite us having ordered much earlier. Currently, they have ZERO stock for the top that I wanted.

Can I just say that that is a RUBBISH way to do business. :curse: They didn't even have any compensations or guarantees for us!

Thankfully, they have a shipment coming in next week (which day we don't know). But that's for it to arrive at PSA, after which it needs to go to their factory and then get manufactured and then sent to my place. At this point in time, if things happen as they should, the timeline of the house is still ok, but Kompacplus has refused to give a specific date. If they don't have the shipment by the end of next week, I will march down personally to Kompacplus's headquarters and raise ****... :fire:

To all of you out there using this material, better get your contractors/designers to book the material. Preferably to physically HOLD on to the material so that they can't give it away to someone else. Unless you're using the black top. In which case, HANDS OFF MY STUFF! :P

Edited by Dwinsplace

I share your excitement..cos my vanity cabinet is up today as well and it looks like what I want exactly.. Can't wait to see the real thing

"The Dungeon" really look special :good:

Really like to see how it turn out when complete.

We can't wait to see the finished product either. They are currently manufacturing the door and then they will be adding the windows and a few touchups here and there. Now that I see them do it, I must say, it's really quite a complicated process!

They have to fabricate each panel, weld it, come to my place, screw it in place and then weld it together. Doesn't help that the design has a few odd angles to accommodate a particular column in the house. So each angle had to be done on site itself. And then replicated with each spar.

Its definitely unique, but you either like it or you don't. And that's fine. I understand when we embarked on this that some people would look at it and go "eeee". But i personally love it! And when it comes to stamping a personal touch, I don't believe in half measures. All or nothing. Actually no, just all. haha

A lot has been happening.

Today all the toilet accessories got installed. So the toilets are pretty much complete! I didn't take any pics cos they were still installing when i left.

Did anyone else have any problems finding a spot for the toilet roll holder?? On the wall next to the WC makes you have to reach ard awkwardly. On the wall in front is just silly. If you have a wall to the side of your toilet bowl then that would be ideal but it's rarely the case. haha. Small issues that I found amusing that we don't really consider.

My petite relite fans are also in! Turned them on and the fan power is pretty good! But you do hear a bit of noise from it. Acceptable though.

Realised that I made a mistake in the placement of my switches. My walk in wardrobe has 2 entrances. One from the living area and another from the service yard. Because of this, I originally decided to place the switch for the main light near the service yard entrance cos thats where the lights were closer to. Just seemed logical.

Then I had a switch for a small accent light at the doorway to the living room so that whichever way you came in from, you could turn on lights. Made sense at the time.

But now that I think again, most of the time we would be coming in from the living area. And it seems silly to just turn on a tiny light before having to walk over and turning on the main light for the room. Its tedious to have to turn so many things on and off and also not energy efficient. Sigh. I'm asking the electrician if things can be rerouted to have all the switches at the door way to the living area. Wonder if he will charge me extra for being an idiot?

Also spent a lot of time figuring out how to place my rear surround speakers. Ideally, it should be behind you and just a little above your ear level. But since my sofa is against a wall, I couldn't put it behind me. So in the end I settled for a ceiling mount and pointing it to the edges of the seating area. The speaker mount doesn't really allow it to swivel that much but I hope it will suffice. The angle is currently too straight down for my liking. *fingers crossed*

My second round of carpentry is also in! So kudos to my ID for rushing the laminates and their work.

Apparently the wardrobe couldn't fit into the lift so they had to literally build it in my room. I guess that's payment for all the drinks that I've been buying them. haha.

The house is currently a mess with cabinet doors and drawers all over the place so it's a bit hard for pics but I can't wait to see it all slowly fit together.

Even the contractors looked around and said, this project is nice. Unique. And yes uncle, I have to agree with you. :D

• Like 2

looking good for your dungeon study. Great great. Looking forward to see more pictures. You can share how much is your reno cost?

Hey HansamuQ! Thanks for dropping by. I hope to post more pics soon but currently the house is FULL of carpentry so it's hard to get a decent shot.

What I will say is that the toilets are pretty much done and we are loving it!

As for reno cost, its about 80k with plumbing and electricals. Not cheap we know. :)

So happy for u.. I am heading back

Tonight and am going to visit the first thing when Iand tomorrow!!

Haha I can understand your excitement too! Esp since you've been away for so long! I KNEW nothing was being done over the weekend and still i went down. 3 times in two days! With no work being done! lol!!

Haha I can understand your excitement too! Esp since you've been away for so long! I KNEW nothing was being done over the weekend and still i went down. 3 times in two days! With no work being done! lol!!

haha i was there the whole sat... checking for defects and admiring my house at the same time,,, while waiting for the sony tv delivery