Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Gosh...the most impressive renovation project I have ever seen. Oozes unique...very unique indeed!

Awww. Thanks so much diva79! I don't know if it's the most impressive, there are many projects on this forum that are awesome and a lot of them have continued on to be featured in magazines and stuff. BUT, we really love it and we are glad that you like it too. :)

Hope your own renos are going well?

On the 2 biggest ones, only the inner rings have flame on the lowest setting.

The small one however still has flame on the large ring even on its lowest setting and so we find that it's too powerful. Usually small rings for sauces and what not and needs a lower fire but we can't get it with this one. So we have to end up using the big ring and a bigger pot so it can balance on the wider setting.

smallest : only the inner ring has fire

Thanks both for the info! :good:

Hi, great reno! Especially love your gate. I know this has been asked numerous times, could you please let me know the quote for your gate?
Thanks and all the best!

So sorry that I've taken so long to reply! From Dr Doors, gate was $736 w GST. Lock was 599. Workmanship is great. No complaints! The sales lady is a bit of a b**** but the actual sales rep/ workers that come to survey and install are much nicer to work with.

Hi there!

Am getting a 4 room resale soon. Thinking of approaching 3D Conceptwerke as well. How is it like working with them? How is their workmanship?

Cheers.

I liked them! I mean they weren't perfect, hiccups still happened (which I feel could have been avoided) but they were patient and understanding and did their best to rectify the situation. She threw in one or two freebies for me as the reno progressed and I made last min requests. She was also very patient in listening to us and explaining to us what was going on.

So overall i found the process to be good.

Workmanship, well whenever i pointed out defects, they would rectify immediately even if it meant redoing a whole section. So i would say that was good too.

What I appreciate them for the most is their artistic direction. But you do pay a pretty penny for it. :)

Definitely worth a visit in my opinion. Especially if you're looking for industrial/ loft styling. Good luck for your reno!

• Like 1

Lessons learnt after 2 months in the house:

1. Undermounted sinks are better. We have an overmount and the tap resides behind the sink. So whenever your wet hands go to switch the tap on or off, you leave a pool of water around the tap. And being overmounted, its just that much harder to dry the area. You can't just swipe it all into the sink. You have to get a cloth and soak it up and wring it out etc etc. Tedious.

2. Kompacplus has terrible water marks. We chose the black and that might have been the reason, but the material shows of watermarks like nothing I've seen! So you always need to wipe down with a cloth. Thankfully, the marks go away easily with a damp cloth but again, tedious.

3. Soap marks on dark walls. This applies to the toilets mostly. The soap suds dry and leave a residue on the tiles that become quite visible and require a fair bit of scrubbing to remove depending on how porous your tiles are. Our tiles are textured so theres quite a bit of room for the suds to hide in. You can think you've rinsed all the suds away after a shower but somehow, streaks will still form over time.

4. Bosch products rust. We don't know if we got sub standard products (we bought from mega discount store) but there are spots of rust on our oven already as well as the hob. The only 2 items we have from bosch. Things were all brand new and so we're a bit disappointed.

5. Sliding doors do nothing for sound proofing. We loved the idea of sliding doors and had one installed for our bedroom. It works beautifully. Unfortunately, it really doesn't block out sound which is fine if you both go to bed at the same times but not when you keep very different sleeping hours like us. In retrospect, a pocketed sliding door would have been much better at sound proofing but its more space consuming and more expensive. And to be fair, the ID did warn us that sound proofing would be an issue but we thought the distance to the bedroom would already attenuate the noise to an acceptable level. Guess you always think your house is bigger than it is when you look at the floor plans alone. lol.

• Like 1

WOW. My dream kind of design!!!

Wild applause indeed..! Congrats! Looks awesome :)

Dum Dum DUUUUUUUUM!! Ladies and Gents, may I present.... THE DUNGEON! *cue wild applause and merry making* :drunk:

88E7DA5B-73F9-43AF-BE82-4BA1D114943E_zps

8505EEA0-AE45-4345-A49B-0FF204809D81_zps

6A7A4957-F92E-4B74-BF76-D091FDC619F5_zps

I'm super chuffed with it! :D

It's not completed yet. They still have the door to add. Not to mention they will be welding on flat bars of steel over the border areas to make it pop more, and then adding on rivets on top of that to complete the piece. After that will be the touches of paint to add a bit of age and roughen the look up a bit. :sport-smiley-003:

Currently the edges all have gaps, generously contributed by the famous irregular surfaces of a HDB flat. Of course I can't just blame the flat. Even the panels lines between the panels have gaps but these will all be sealed up so that my aircon won't leak out. The edges to the walls will be with Cornice plaster, and the bits between the metal will be with silicon.

017B2CB4-C845-4052-A559-88F58213D5B3_zps

1927A8C8-D1DB-40A0-A0E7-D9842D59225B_zps

So so SO happy!! Have i mentioned that I'm totally in love with it? I'm totally in love with it!

O.O

Gulp. The price we pay for unique...!

Hey HansamuQ! Thanks for dropping by. I hope to post more pics soon but currently the house is FULL of carpentry so it's hard to get a decent shot.

What I will say is that the toilets are pretty much done and we are loving it!

As for reno cost, its about 80k with plumbing and electricals. Not cheap we know. :)

Hey, OceanEleven,

Exactly what I am hoping to do! Have contacted An Digital for a quote.

May I know, with this gate, is there a need to use a metal bracket to box up the inner part of the lock and use remote control to open it when you are indoor?

Hi OceanEleven,

May I know where did you get this gate from?

Nice.....

After much hemming and hawing, we have finally decided on a way to secure our house! As mentioned before, the mrs has agreed to give me a digital lock (so that I don't need to fuss with keys) and we will be putting it on the main gate.

This is the lock of choice! the Yale YDR323G. The picture isn't really accurate. This is the normal door version the YDR323. The YDR323G has the manual unlock switch at the back panel permanently disabled so that people can't reach through the gaps in your gate and just let themselves in. The lock is released on the inside via a remote control.

yale+YDG313_5.jpg

We picked this lock for 2 reasons. Firstly, it could take RFID card and password. But more importantly, the disabled back panel meant that we could use this gate!

Scissorgate_zps86a6e26d.jpg

we LOOOOVE this gate. Old school yet its a swing door so still quiet and functional. :jammin:

We got dr doors to do it and minus a rather unhelpful sales lady, the person sent on site to measure and advise me on the gate was very good. Their quote for a gate+digital lock was also the best that we managed to find. Adding a small customization on the gate also. Just a small metal plate on the fixed panel side of the gate where I can paint on our door numbers. The mrs is VERY VERY worried that I'll screw it up hahaha. A husband who loves to DIY in a very precious and very expensive home is beginning to scare her. :yamseng:

Hi Dwinsplace

Do you mind me asking where we can find this old style metal gate you posted quite a long time ago? Want to install them at our front door ....

Thank you ...

how much you spend for the aluminium door? and can i have the contact of the person/company who did the door. thanks!

hi there, may I also have the contact of your supplier of the aluminium frame door, and the price? Tried to PM you but couldn't. I'm considering getting an aluminium frame one or a bifold wooden/pvc one.. thanks!

After much hemming and hawing, we have finally decided on a way to secure our house! As mentioned before, the mrs has agreed to give me a digital lock (so that I don't need to fuss with keys) and we will be putting it on the main gate.

This is the lock of choice! the Yale YDR323G. The picture isn't really accurate. This is the normal door version the YDR323. The YDR323G has the manual unlock switch at the back panel permanently disabled so that people can't reach through the gaps in your gate and just let themselves in. The lock is released on the inside via a remote control.

yale+YDG313_5.jpg

We picked this lock for 2 reasons. Firstly, it could take RFID card and password. But more importantly, the disabled back panel meant that we could use this gate!

Scissorgate_zps86a6e26d.jpg

we LOOOOVE this gate. Old school yet its a swing door so still quiet and functional. :jammin:

We got dr doors to do it and minus a rather unhelpful sales lady, the person sent on site to measure and advise me on the gate was very good. Their quote for a gate+digital lock was also the best that we managed to find. Adding a small customization on the gate also. Just a small metal plate on the fixed panel side of the gate where I can paint on our door numbers. The mrs is VERY VERY worried that I'll screw it up hahaha. A husband who loves to DIY in a very precious and very expensive home is beginning to scare her. :yamseng:

Hi,

Anyone know what's the price for price and supplier name?