Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rubypumps

How Many Watts For Living Room Downlight

I have 12 downlights for my living area, space is about 5500 * 3870.

Is 8W enough for that area? Would like to read on my sofa, I intend to buy 8 COOL, and 4 corners in WARM, these are 2 different switches, so I'm thinking of switching on WARM when watching movie in living room.

But is 8 downlights with 8W sufficient for reading ?! I have dining lights and entrance light. Not too sure if the whole house will be dim or not :/

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Is 8W enough for that area? Would like to read on my sofa, I intend to buy 8 COOL, and 4 corners in WARM, these are 2 different switches, so I'm thinking of switching on WARM when watching movie in living room.

But is 8 downlights with 8W sufficient for reading ?! I have dining lights and entrance light. Not too sure if the whole house will be dim or not :/

Always better to have MORE light with MORE switches than sorry.

My previous condo installed with some warm light - hardly use.

So now. Hall alone (HDB 5 rm) - I have 1+4+3 = 8 lights with 3 switches, each downlight is 15 x 2W light (white)

I don't believe in yellow light - it distorts true color of objects within home. Can do reading as well...but 'cosy'.

I have 2+2+2 (3 rows, 3 switches) at dining area, same 15x2(twin) watt each.

I have 2 x 56 inch ceiling fans.....Singapore weather you know, air-con bill exp...

For each of the downlights I use.. it's either PLC 11W X 2 OR 1X E27 24W. 5 inch downlight casing at spacing of 1.2- 1.5m apart.

Do not use 827 WW for downlights! the colour very difficult to read with. Use either 865 daylight or 840 cool white! 827 is more for accent (mood) lighting.

I presume you are referring to LED downlights right? Generally speaking, 8 x 8W downlights in a living room is quite bright. Don't expect it to be super bright though. However, brightness perception varies from person to person. What is bright for me might be too dim for some one else. Usually we recommend 8-10 x 12W though. This is assuming the downlights are your only light source in the living room.

Also, like bepgof above, many people installed downlights that are too yellow/orangey (warm) and end up not using because not practical. Warm white is a range of colour temperature which varies from 2700k to 3500k. It is probably more advisable to get something closer to 3500k (less yellow but still considered warm white) as a general lighting. This will give you a warm enough feel without being overly yellow/orangey.

I always advise my customers to see the lights in a home setting before buying (I don't even let them buy without seeing the downlights at our residential showroom). This way you can know how it will feel like to stay in a home with that sort of lighting. Lights are almost a permanent fixtures which are troublesome to change out and it helps to get it right the first time round.

If you need more advice can always PM/email me. Happy to help.

Thanks! I'm buying 9W * 9 for living area.

Btw, anyone has a prob with taobao's lights not bright enough??

I'm buying LED down lights, LED ceiling lights from taobao and I'm abit worried!

On 1/6/2017 at 1:16 PM, rochmer said:

Is there any particular size of LED downlights that I should buy? Or buy first and tell the ceiling contractor the dimensions?

Better to consult the contractor first and provide the optionbof lights you wnat to install.:paint:

On 21/8/2017 at 11:16 AM, thuyln2 said:

You use the led downlight to read, I do not think this is a good idea! Why do not you try using desktop lights

Yes, i agree with you. I like light for led downlight, i feel comfortable.