Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I'm considering whether

(1) to build feature wall and mount TV to wall OR

(2) just place the TV on console.

Anybody care to share their experiences? Thanks.

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The finishing effect for mounting your TV to a feature will be very elegant if you apply the correct design that suits your home layout and overall style. It gives a modern feel and saves "table space". Of course, the cost of installing the wall feature will be more costly as compared to just placing your TV on a console.

TV on console will present a simple and classic feel. It is cost efficient and practical. However some people do not like the 'emptiness' feel of the contrast between your television and the wall.

If you need more ideas, you may PM me your number and I will contact you as soon as possible.

I will be choosing tv console for my new place. I think its easier to replace/change if the piece ever gets damaged or if you just want to change the look. Another consideration for me was that to build a feature wall covering the whole wall would be extremely expensive. Buying a tv console would give me more options to add on storage beside the console. Hope this helps...

I will be choosing tv console for my new place. I think its easier to replace/change if the piece ever gets damaged or if you just want to change the look. Another consideration for me was that to build a feature wall covering the whole wall would be extremely expensive. Buying a tv console would give me more options to add on storage beside the console. Hope this helps...

I agree with you. However, the only main issue is the concealing of cables. Without a wall, it would be difficult to conceal the wires from the tv and all..

• Like 1

I agree with you. However, the only main issue is the concealing of cables. Without a wall, it would be difficult to conceal the wires from the tv and all..

Good point but, not unless your ID had made a hole on the bottom for your console for the wires to go out. :thumbs up:

i was thinking of going without a feature wall, as my wall is quite long so very expensive to do one wall for the purpose of hiding wires. so contractor suggest to hack the wall a little, put in a aircon size casing, patch back. a little illegal... but what will hdb do if they catch this kind of thing?

i was thinking of going without a feature wall, as my wall is quite long so very expensive to do one wall for the purpose of hiding wires. so contractor suggest to hack the wall a little, put in a aircon size casing, patch back. a little illegal... but what will hdb do if they catch this kind of thing?

definitely is not allowed in hdb rules. just make sure it will not cause danger will do. when next time you are selling your house, you have to reinstate back. or not i have customers who put casing just for show during selling. lol.

if any case hdb do a sudden inspection, and they found out just don’t sabo the company can already. unless it is a big illegal modification like hacking/erecting of walls which are not approved or extension of toilet illegally, they usually will not penalise the owner. it all depends on the officer handling your case if caught.

one more point to note. it will cause a bit of inconvenience if u need hdb to come for inspection when things like leakage from upstairs or any relevant hdb maintenance works.

I am also thinking of whether to just purchase a TV console or get the ID to install a TV console cum feature wall.

For my case as my theme is American Cottage style, the TV console to purchase has to match that theme too. These TV consoles don't come cheap and wondering if I should just get the ID to design and install them instead. However the dilemma for me here is I am not sure if my ID is able to replicate the style of TV console that I see in the shops.

Buy off the shelf makes sense especially when you have a custom theme in mind. The workmanship of your contractor to do up a tv console with an unusual look is unpredictable and therefore risky.