Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Omg. It's so tempting looking at the items bought haha.

How much are the kitchen towel holder and rice dispenser?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

HDB Defects

I think HDB must be really glad to have buyers like me and the hubs, because we actually did not submit any defects report! As we did not engage an ID straight away, hence we only went to the unit and did our own simple checks for popping/hollow tiles, wall thickness, functioning/ rusty window panels etc. Things seemed pretty alright and therefore we ended up NOT submitting any defect report. Haha.

However, we spotted two defects only after renovation started! First one was we realised that one of the switches in the house was not positioned straight. That wasn't really a major issue though, since we were going to change all the switches in the house anyway. Then, our ID pointed out a huge defect to us... our ceilings was sloped! We had a false ceiling installed in one part of the living room for our downlights, and after installation of the false ceiling, we realised that one side of the ceiling is actually taller than the other! That was quite a shock to us, as it really did not cross our minds to check that the ceilings were of equal height. However, we consoled ourselves with the fact that HDB probably won't be able to do much, since this is like a structural defect? And our ID also assured us that after painting works, the difference in height won't be noticeable as well, and hence we simply let it pass.

Our Renovation Details

This being our first home, we decided to do a proper renovation, and hopefully be able to stay here for the next couples of years. Plus, setting up a new home is so tiring and pocket-burning, I doubt I would want to go through it anytime soon! After we confirmed our ID, we listed down a series of work that we would like to do for the new place. Some of the details are as follows:

Foyer

Replace tiles with dark colored tiles for Japanese genkan effect

Construct half-height shoe cabinet

Construct wall partition

Living room

Construct settee with storage by living room windows

Construct TV console

Construct false ceiling above settee area for downlights

Flush recess wall

Build storage space (our mini store room)

Kitchen

Seal up existing kitchen entrance

Hack and construct new kitchen entrance

Hack and replace existing service yard windows/doors

Construct kitchen and fridge bases

Construct 13 feet top and bottom kitchen cabinets

Build extra washing point in service yard

Study

Construct new walls for study

Construct glass windows for study

Construct full height bookshelves

Construct full length study table with drawers

Bedroom 1 (Baby room)

- (no work done)

Bedroom 2 (WIW)

Construct 2 sets of 12 feet casement wardrobes

Install Japanese-look alike sliding doors

Master Bedroom

Shift existing door entrance forward

Flush recess wall

Construct L-shape false ceiling for downlights

Toilets

Overlay existing tiles with new tiles

Replace existing HDB basins

Replace original toilet fittings with our own fittings purchased

All in all, I think the bulk of our renovation cost went into carpentry work. We did toy with the idea of simply buying from furniture shops like IKEA and such, but aesthetically it simply did not look pleasing enough, and also there were many underutilized space if we bought off the rack as there would be gaps here and there. Hence, we decided to bite the bullet and splurge on our carpentry work, and we pray that the quality would turn out well, so that these can last us for many years.

Hallow,

The kitchen towel holder was slightly below $25 and rice dispenser around $30 after factoring in shipping charges. :thumbs up:

Omg. It's so tempting looking at the items bought haha.
How much are the kitchen towel holder and rice dispenser?
Edited by korilala

• Like 1

The transformation thus far...

Sharing some pictures of our renovation work done

photo12_zps8f020eef.jpg

Service yard windows/ door removed

photo6_zpse85f5adc.jpg

Kitchen cabinet base and fridge base constructed. City gas pipes up!

photo9_zps7eca15cc.jpg

Toilet tiles laid

photo7_zps9da819ae.jpg

Study walls being constructed

photo11_zps468e642c.jpg

Recess wall in MBR sealed

photo8_zps852dcfff.jpg

MBR entrance shifted forward

It's been almost 2.5 weeks since renovations started. ID has been pretty on the ball, updating me on the progress and communicating with me pretty often via whatsapp. In fact, we have met up with ID for like 3/4 times during this period to discuss more details, and for her to confirm all the nitty gritty stuff. Painting will be starting next week and we have also already met up with the carpenter to discuss about carpentry details. It's been a joy working with our ID so far, but we will reserve our final comments and reveal his/her identity at the end of the renovation process when handover has been done. :)

Our taobao/Tmall purchases thus far... (Part 1)

Decorativegrassplants_zps0de5aa9c.jpg

Cute little fake plants to liven up the colors in the house

Pasuntoiletrieshanger_zpsb86520a9.jpg

Toiletries holder

Jomooalloytoiletrollhanger_zpsec85900a.j

Toilet roll holder

Jomootowelhangers_zps2d128dc1.jpg

Towel holder

Sunbosonsoapdispensers_zps5a8735d7.jpg

Soap dispenser

Showercurtainrod_zps80238235.jpg

Shower curtain rod

I bought the same shower curtain rod that you eyeing. the quality is good! :good:

Hihi,

Yup, I am combining the bedroom next to MBR together to form 1 huge MBR. The bedroom will be my WIW instead. Just did not hack the walls, so that in case we might need more rooms in future, always easier to change locations of doors than reconstruct full walls. :)

Hi

What's the reason to shift the MBR door forward? So you can use 2 rooms for yourselves?

check with you your shower curtain rod which one u bought and what size ah? i went to see omg each type got so many different sizes and so many types! LOL

I also guess rakuten, just got myself registered at the Sg site, is it the same?...

Glad you showcase your sales. See la, me can't work now =)

check with you your shower curtain rod which one u bought and what size ah? i went to see omg each type got so many different sizes and so many types! LOL

That one u probably gotta go measure how big is ur intended shower area first? Cos we measured according to the shower kerb set up by the ID first before finding one of the nearest dimensions.

I also guess rakuten, just got myself registered at the Sg site, is it the same?...

Glad you showcase your sales. See la, me can't work now =)

The jap site is not the same as the sg one unfortunately. And most of them don't ship direct to sg, so you have to use forwarders such as Vpost or Tenso!

The jap site is not the same as the sg one unfortunately. And most of them don't ship direct to sg, so you have to use forwarders such as Vpost or Tenso!

Thanks for the tip!!

We are also those who never report defects too.. So far so good, ;)

3D design and conceptualization

Prior to starting our ID search, we (mostly myself as the hubs have left the entire designing part to me to decide on) already had a rough idea of what kind of theme we wanted and the possible layout. I did a brief drawing using Microsoft Powerpoint as below.

Home_idea01_zps7a14261f.jpg

After meeting and confirming our ID, we informed him of the design we were looking at and he went on to work out the 3D design from there. It took two weeks before we received the 3D drawings and even as the renovation is progressing, most of the 3D drawings are not accurate representation of what our new place is turning out to be, though we did not request for a re-drawing, as we were quite alright to proceed without them. Sharing some of the 3D drawings provided by my ID. The images are not very clear as these were taken from the original hard copies he passed us.

photo8_zps86c83d88.jpg

Foyer area

photo9_zps70801db0.jpg

Living room

photo13_zps86080fae.jpg

Study

photo10_zps794fe87a.jpg

WIW

photo11_zps82792ae7.jpg

Kitchen

Most of the changes made were on the color schemes, as I felt that they did not bring out the Japanese feel I wanted for the house. Also, the flooring shown in the 3D drawings will be different from my actual flooring.

Our major purchases

As mentioned previously, we got most of our electrical appliances from Hoe Kee and Best Denki. Below are pictures of the models we purchased. (mainly for me to remember, so that I can refer to them when they are delivered)

PanasonicTHL42E6S_zpsb30d991c.jpg

Panasonic 42" FHD LED TV

SamsungRT35FDACDSL_zps2ee78d54.jpg

Samsung inverter fridge

SamsungWW70H5200EW_zpsa8ea3315.jpg

Samsung 7kg front load washer

BoschWTA74101SG_zps148d3418.jpg

Bosch 6kg vent dryer

FujiohFS_890_zps8031b6db.png

Fujioh FS890 Hood

FujiohFG_2792_SVGL_zps3738141a.png

Fujioh glass hob with safety valve

Frankly speaking, before we purchased these items, we did not do much homework as we felt that electrical appliances nowadays don't really last anyway and we just needed a basic unit. Also, replacements for these were far easier, so we simply picked those that seemed more pocket friendly, environmental friendly and less energy consuming.

• Like 1