Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hmm...have been procrastinating for a while to start this thread on our home. Finally decided to sit my a** down and start sharing our journey with you all. We are noob homeowners, so it is a learning process and hopefully what we share will be interesting and useful for you too. Do share with us too...especially those who are at the same stage as us, and those who had 'attained nirvana from this process :D

Because I had procrastinated for so long before starting this thread, we had already finished on the early stages of confirming our ID...haha. One hand I am happy to get the ID confirmed and move on with the process, the other I don't suggest anyone to be like us. Despite reading so much from the 前辈s here about how to choose ID, we only applied maybe 20% of what we learned here and depended the rest on gut feel. Now, starting to worry and regret for acting so impulsively. Sigh~~ Time will tell, if our gut feel is reliable.

So, in summary we contacted 6 IDs. Who did we get?

1. Space Sense

We liked K****'s portfolio in industrial style so we sent him an enquiry. He replied to ask for our budget and requirements, then there was a long delay before he turned us down citing it is impossible to fulfil our requirements with our indicated budget. To be fair to us, we really do not know what would the cost for the intended renovation of our scale, so we mentioned an estimated of 35-40K hoping that our conversation can carry on and we can make more realistic adjustments to the budget. It is a pity that we were not given the chance to further our enquiry, or perhaps there was too much projects to handle for the ID firm. In another words, no fate with Space Sense.

2. BoxID

Saw their work on an article from renotalk.com. Sent out an enquiry but no reply until a full month later. By then we are already in closing talks with the final ID so we did not proceed to meet up anymore.

3. Artist Room

Read about them on renotalk, but no reply on our enquiry.

4. Three-D Conceptwerke

One of their designer, Will, contacted us the next day after we sent our enquiry. Initially, I had my reservation because Will is not a local, and thought someone local will contact me since the firm is local. :dunno: But not willing to discriminate, we proceeded to meet up with Will, who turn out to be quite an enthusiastic and friendly chap. It was easy to talk to him about the concept we are after, but we left the meeting feeling a little iffy if Will will understand what we really what and how he will propose the layout to accommodate what we want (will show below). But boy, we were pleasantly surprised by Will's proposed layout. It was interesting and quite similar to what we were thinking, only perhaps better. We were quite blown away. (And this is when our gut feel started to kick in over rationality...sigh).

5. New Nyew

I really like New, and her hubby. We first visited New at her place, and both of them are very nice people. She spent 3 hours going through our floorplan and proposed her ideas right on the spot (even brought us to see her showroom in Yishun). She was also the only ID whom brought to site immediately following our first meeting to view our place, and she was the quickest with her response including the edits we requested to the initial proposed layout. Frankly, we were so closed to confirming with New had we not gone on to meet Will and saw his layout. I would still strongly recommend New to anyone who is looking for an ID

6. The Design Practice

We found R****** from vincentinteriorblog.com. He was one of the recommended ID, and after viewing The Design Practice portfolio online, I found that he was the designer for a flat reno that I really like and bookmarked since the day we got out flat. Told myself my future flat can possibly look like that. Unfortunately, fate is not with us for R******. We waited long for his responses, and never get to fix down an appointment date. So, in the end, we decided to drop this enquiry as well.

By now, you should have guessed it. Since our gut feel was so strong...we decided to go along with Will from Three-D Conceptwerke (TDC for short..lazy)

Hmm....any renotalkers who had also used TDC before? Do share your feedback =)

Edited by nottidotti

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

As mentioned, my original floorplan vs the proposed one.

14266501994_cebab20cdc_b.jpg

14287075733_fc9aafb316_b.jpg

Our initial concept for the Home was to go full on Industrial-style. But hubby was worried with it will be difficult to upkeep (or the lack of it), whereas I was a little bother by the gloomy feel of some such industrial interiors that had all concrete walls and floors. So we decided that we wanted a brighter and airier home with simple straightforward designs (read: easy to clean), but with industrial influences. And that was what we communicated to the IDs.
At the same time, due to the age of the apartment, we had to do a total overhaul of the place. That includes changing the flooring, windows and doors, as well as removing all the existing fixtures. Since it is going to include a fair amount of hacking, we decided to make some adjustments to the layout configuration to include a walk-in wardrobe, a open-concept living/dining and kitchen area. Study is needed for me since I work from home at time.
Our dilemma was how to incorporate the living, dinning and study area around the single pillar in the middle of the living area that cannot be hack and with the ceiling. In Will's layout we thought we saw an interesting use of the space and working around the problem, although I am still trying to figure out a way how to make the study area more private. Sigh...this is why I am starting to worry a bit now.
3D pictures will be out hopefully by next week and we will have better sense of this layout. Hopefully we won't be tweaking the layout much.
*fingers crossed*

For the WIW, it will be good if you can add a door to separate it from your bedroom.

This can help to minimize the dust & not to waste energy on Aircon for cooling.

Hi,

It is generally far more challenging to design for a wide physical space. The ID would need to have a keen sense of proportion.

For example, the size of the bathroom should be in proportion to the bedroom where it is located. Same as its wardrobe area. In addition, the entrance area to a big room should be in proportion to its size. I don't see these taken care of in the proposal. Moreover, you would have to sleep with feet facing the door? And it is difficult to open the door and enter the store.

I let others to comment on the kitchen etc.

I would fire the ID if I were you? Interior design is not just painting a wall, re-tiling the floor etc but to create living spaces that all pull together to create a home.

Just my 2-cents thoughts.

Cheers!

Not sure if you are the couple that New brought over to our place.

Although you never engage her services but i am sure she will be so happy to know what you wrote about her.

Congrats on starting your reno soon :)

For the WIW, it will be good if you can add a door to separate it from your bedroom.

This can help to minimize the dust & not to waste energy on Aircon for cooling.

Yeah, we were also concern abt the aircon cooling for the bedroom. But, we don't really want to have another door separating the wardrobe area. So that's out.

The solution we thought is to get a size 18 aircon (don't know if you will call that size, but I heard hubby talking about on about 9, 18 , 24 for aircon..if it makes any sense), and installing above the room door so that we get to be cooled first before the aircon flow into the wardrobe area. In fact, we don't think the wardrobe area will get much air conditioning unless the aircon is on for quite a while. Well, we'll speak to the aircon contractor and see what's he suggest as well.

Hi,

It is generally far more challenging to design for a wide physical space. The ID would need to have a keen sense of proportion.

For example, the size of the bathroom should be in proportion to the bedroom where it is located. Same as its wardrobe area. In addition, the entrance area to a big room should be in proportion to its size. I don't see these taken care of in the proposal. Moreover, you would have to sleep with feet facing the door? And it is difficult to open the door and enter the store.

I let others to comment on the kitchen etc.

I would fire the ID if I were you? Interior design is not just painting a wall, re-tiling the floor etc but to create living spaces that all pull together to create a home.

Just my 2-cents thoughts.

Cheers!

Hey, thanks Lauer. Good to have someone share thoughts candidly. Well, the current proposed layout does seems rather weird initially, very open, and some areas seem bigger and out of proportion vs others. We thought so, so we took the layout to our flat and try to visualize the actual size of all the areas. And with that, the areas don't seem that big anymore...the bedroom, dining etc. Perhaps cos the walls are not down yet? Well, at any rate, we are quite comfy with more space :)

We actually tried tinkering earlier too with the layout ourselves and had another version. Haha...if you are interested perhaps I can upload here to gather some feedback?

woah really huge overhaul... are u sure of an open concept kitchen? good luck!

Thanks, forgot2bme!

Yeah, open concept kitchen. I guess when you asked are you sure, u meant the fumes, smells and grease from cooking??

Well, I was also concerned, but we wanted a kitchen where friends/family can still exchange idle conversations while we are cooking and peek into the pots of yummies. And since we intended to have quite frequent cookouts with friends, closed concept kitchen may seem quite cramp. So all I can do is to be mentally prepared for more cleaning in the house (actually that will be more of hubby's mental preparation) and invest in a good cooker hood ;)

Are you considering an open concept kitchen too? Or currently experiencing having one?

Not sure if you are the couple that New brought over to our place.

Although you never engage her services but i am sure she will be so happy to know what you wrote about her.

Congrats on starting your reno soon :)

Oh..it must have been great to work with New for your home!

But nope, we are not the couple. New did offered to bring us down to one of her projects to see. Perhaps it's yours? Did you do cement screed floors for your home? That was what New wanted us to see, cos we wanted to do that as well.

Edited by nottidotti

Been a crazy last week with all sorts of things that you never expect to happen within a single week to, well, happen. Mum falling in the bathroom, hospital, dad fainting, tenants shifting..sigh~ Glad last week was past, and all's well finally so that we can get on with the home reno.

We did received our first 3Ds last week, and also at the same time we are considering on a revised layout. Those 3Ds will have to be revised. *Will upload to tonight.

We also made a trip down to Mega Discount store to confirm our list of electrical appliances. Placed a nominal deposit...but hor, since it's GSS now, hubby wants to keep a lookout for lower prices around so can update MDS. Will update our appliances list later tonight..cos I have some questions on the kitchen stuffs that I have been searching for feedbacks. Maybe RTalkers here can help.

Laters....

Oh..it must have been great to work with New for your home!

But nope, we are not the couple. New did offered to bring us down to one of her projects to see. Perhaps it's yours? Did you do cement screed floors for your home? That was what New wanted us to see, cos we wanted to do that as well.

No, we did vinyl overlay. Yes, it was really good to have New reno our place.

Are your parents alright?

Looking forward to seeing your 3Ds.

Thanks, forgot2bme!

Yeah, open concept kitchen. I guess when you asked are you sure, u meant the fumes, smells and grease from cooking??

Well, I was also concerned, but we wanted a kitchen where friends/family can still exchange idle conversations while we are cooking and peek into the pots of yummies. And since we intended to have quite frequent cookouts with friends, closed concept kitchen may seem quite cramp. So all I can do is to be mentally prepared for more cleaning in the house (actually that will be more of hubby's mental preparation) and invest in a good cooker hood ;)

Are you considering an open concept kitchen too? Or currently experiencing having one?

Yup i was concerned with the greasiness from cooking in an open concept kitchen as I've read about from others' experiences.

I will only be starting my reno probably 4th quarter this year too and am currently exploring an "open concept" kitchen by knocking the wall between the kitchen and the living room.. Will probably be installing top hung glass sliding doors to keep out the fumes but at the same time maintain the feel of an open concept kitchen. At the same time we'll be able to air condition our living room without it escaping to the kitchen too! Haha. That said, it's not cheap at all! Enquired a few places and it should cost anything from 2k+ to 3k+ depending on the source/quality etc... Maybe it's sth you can consider too.

Anyway, I guess most importantly is that your husband doesnt mind cleaning up :D that should solve all your greasy problems!

Oh I get what you mean about wishing you were more diligent in your updates now. Lol... Where are those 3D renderings you promised!?

If you are having issues w uploading photos, use photo bucket.. Makes it really easy.

I disagreed with lauer's concept of space planning. Yes things should be proportional. But having a massive toilet is extremely luxurious and satisfying too. The storeroom door can easily be switched to open from the other side and that would solve access issues. As for feet facing door, I personally like walking into a bedroom and seeing the bed laid out like a tableau. But that's superstition and is a completely valid concern if you subscribe to that,

Off the cuff though, I did have an issue with your study's privacy. Anyone comes in will see you straightaway at work. And if I'm working I need to be distracted as little as possible.

Oh! For the WIW, would you consider a pocketed door? That way you can have it out of sight most of the time, but still have the option if you need it.