Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
angyee

Transparency In Prices Of Mattresses

Hi,

We just came back from the Home Show at Expo. We were looking around for mattresses and realised that all the sellers are not upfront about their prices. The selling price is not available and they simply quote a price (using a calculator), and subsequently reducing it to quickly try and close the deal. We decided not to buy because we do not know the market prices of the respective brands/mattresses.

We are interested in the Vono Ergobed Luxury (King-Sized) and was quoted $2,498 (mattress only) and subsequently reduced to $2,298. Does anyone know the actual price of this mattress? and where is the best place to buy mattresses? I don't believe that the GSS/Expo Sale provides the best price.... (just my opinion).

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Angyee,

The mechanics of a sale that's usually practiced by salesperson in expo or GSS period (especially Expo), is that internally, they will be given the base selling price of the furniture and then from there an X% that will form their commission. I'm not exactly sure the kind of benchmarks salespeople will go by but typically, it's 20 to even 45% up. And this is upwards from the base selling price which is in itself has already been mark 70 to 80% (some even 1000% for mattresses) by the companies themselves.

When they quote you the price, they will start say from +40%, and then if you negotiate, they will - 5 to 10%, and to close the deal, they will -20%. That's just an estimate but the mechanics are pretty much as such.

One good explanation for the mattress markup:

infographic-mattress-markup-990.png

This is taken from an American company called Tuft & Needle that was create specifically to counter such capitalistic practices by retailers. Read more here: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/awaken

Edited by etchandbolts

Hi Angyee,

The mechanics of a sale that's usually practiced by salesperson in expo or GSS period (especially Expo), is that internally, they will be given the base selling price of the furniture and then from there an X% that will form their commission. I'm not exactly sure the kind of benchmarks salespeople will go by but typically, it's 20 to even 45% up. And this is upwards from the base selling price which is in itself has already been mark 70 to 80% (some even 1000% for mattresses) by the companies themselves.

When they quote you the price, they will start say from +40%, and then if you negotiate, they will - 5 to 10%, and to close the deal, they will -20%. That's just an estimate but the mechanics are pretty much as such.

infographic-mattress-markup-990.png

This is taken from an American company called Tuft & Needle that was create specifically to counter such capitalistic practices by retailers. Read more here: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/awaken

good post..

Vono...it's not luxury in fact. And the model you prefer is around $1500 at SSC.

I never believe the "sale" in EXPO. I bought SCHLARAFFIA, a German brand.

Hi SlannieWong,

The brand and model is called Vono Ergobed Luxury... Sorry, but what is SSC?

Hi Angyee,

Hi etchandbolts,

Thank you for the great explanation! :)

Dear Angyee,

To get mattresses at reasonable prices you will actually have to find retailers that import their own mattresses from factories directly.

I do not want to mention which ones.

All the popular brands are imported by brand owners and then they markup a percentage to sell to retailers then retailers markup to sell to you.

Everybody needs to make money to pay their employees, this is reasonable.

Therefore, if you go to a retailer that sell many many brands, I can almost guarantee you that you are paying a unreasonable price.

Dear Angyee,

To get mattresses at reasonable prices you will actually have to find retailers that import their own mattresses from factories directly.

I do not want to mention which ones.

All the popular brands are imported by brand owners and then they markup a percentage to sell to retailers then retailers markup to sell to you.

Everybody needs to make money to pay their employees, this is reasonable.

Therefore, if you go to a retailer that sell many many brands, I can almost guarantee you that you are paying a unreasonable price.

Hi SamTheMan,

Thanks! I think you are referring to "Tilam King"...? hahaha.

Hi SamTheMan,

Thanks! I think you are referring to "Tilam King"...? hahaha.

Actually, I am not. Tilam King has not technology only buy parts and assemble, not R&D.

But, there are many more retailers that import directly, just need to go find them.

For me I will buy from those that is made in Singapore eg four star, princebed ...... I fell more assured and comfortable with warranty issue

Hi I can recommend you my friend who is selling mattress at furniture mall. Not much knowledge about mattress but would look for her whenever my friends or customers looking for mattress. PM me for her contact if you interested