Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oohman

Critique My Floor Plan

Hi,

I just received my keys in Sengkang (5 room BTO) and am looking for a renovation contractor (not sure, whether an ID is required since I am not intending to do anything fancy).

Anyways, here is my floor layout, I'd had designed myself.

The image is here :

w8t7uo.jpg

Pls click here to see the link at floorplanner.

http://floorplanner.com/projects/28648157-5-room#details

What we have now :

Flooring and Doors and etc done by Hdb

Renovations required :

1) Ceiling works in hall.

2) Feature wall for TV

3) Half wall partition in hall.

4) Diff flooring in the partition (Thinking of bamboo flooring)

5) Kitchen Cabinets

6) Build-in-wardrobes in masteroom.

7) Grills for all windows in the house.

Free for input of any further ideas and also looking to get a good contractor soon.

My budget is in the 10-20K range.

Due to various concerns, I have edited my plan as below...

Edited Plan :

107ksur.jpg

Edited by oohman

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Saw an ID today, who did mention that the having the TV close to the door will be a bit crampy compared to near the windows.

But I think that this placing helps create a big empty space nearer to windows.

Sorry for being a little straighforward, the (1) half wall partition in the living room, (2) the sudden change of floor material and (3) pushing the tv console and sofa etc to the door are only doing one thing - making your living room appear smaller and illogical.

Listen to your ID.

Initial impression matters in creating a positive mental mood. When you come in through the main door, the first sight that greets you is the visual nearness and closeup of your sofa and tv area. A glance to the right and the dining furniture is kind of in a line with your tv furniture. Together, they make up a psychological barrier. The space beyond them is therefore secondary. Hence, there will be a mental impression of crampness about your living room and likely the rest of the unit too.

Btw ID/contractor is not always right. Logic and proper observation are more important skills to have during major renovation as you make the final decision.

For your information only (final decision is still you)

Hope it helps. Cheers

Hi there,

Firstly, the sofa in the middle of the living room may not be feasible, due to your dining table located at the right side of the area. You should allow your living room to look spacious upon entry into flat. As for dining table, you can either do up a countertop near the kitchen, beside the household shelter, say like for 3 pax.

Alternatively, you can place a long dining table between the balcony and living room, to give its half indoor outdoor alfresco dining concept.

If your bedrooms are western-orientated, i suggest not putting your beds near the windows as the walls may give out heat from the day and your bed area tend to become stuffy at night.

There is more which i can assist. Do drop me a email at ***@yahoo.com.sg

I can further assist you.