Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
marrythaigirlsg

Feces Smell In Kitchen

Sounds scary right, totally didn't notice it when I first visited the flat and during inspection, only became aware when I was doing painting, there's this feces smell in the kitchen, it comes and goes, last for about 5-10 minutes and then disperse, maybe a while later it comes back again, I suspect when people on top do their "business", the smell will come, problem is I can't pinpoint where it came from but definitely in the kitchen. I have informed my HDB branch, I hope they will respond soon, but in the meantime just wondering if anyone have experience something like this. I tried air sprays but the smell can be quite overpowering.

There's also this brown patch on the kitchen wall separating the toilet and kitchen, I tried covering with emulsion paint but later it will appear again, what is it? Feces?!?

The unit is about 47 years old, mine is at the 3rd level, basically all the feces above will come down, lol.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just to update my issue.

Yesterday one HDB officer in my estate called me to arrange an inspection today, I was busy so I sent my wife there. My wife said he came and took a look around but said he did not smell anything, he then advised my wife to keep the windows open and he left, wow, like that also can, but I guess he can't do anything if he didn't smell that foul stench...

Anyway I called my dad (he is renovating my house), he told me the smell comes from the drainage in the kitchen, he said the piping are all linked, even the feces pipe is linked there, furthermore the building is very old (1967) so I guess that's why there is feces smell... He said later on will flush the drainage with hot water and it should kill off the stench, I certainly hope that will work, will update later once it's all done. He also said for this kind of issue, no point looking for HDB, they can't do anything, unless it's crack in the ceiling or something like that.

Guest Steven Ng

definitely is the sai.... MUP done already? cannot be the pipes are still the old type ma... shld be PVC liao...

wall inside got sai? dun understand...

definitely is the sai.... MUP done already? cannot be the pipes are still the old type ma... shld be PVC liao...

wall inside got sai? dun understand...

should be the s-trp / p-trap of the toilet bowl dirty.

maybe you might want to try to pour in pail and pails of water ( mixed with detergent or bleach) mutiple times, it should work

This is commom problem if you have toilet very close to your kitchen. For this you should have a good ventilation system inside your kitchen and always keep kitchen windows open for continuous flow of air.

Yep, MUP done.

Yesterday I moved in, so far never detect that smell, maybe the hot water worked, hope it doesn't come back, dining table for sure I'm going to put **** room lol, imagine having dinner and that smell comes lol.

Been living there for a while now, so far haven't detect the smell, I think maybe it is an old house and left vacant for a while hence there is the stench, so after cleaning, all seems okay now.

Yr dad is right. The stack (not called pipe) issues.

Tiolets got stack, kitchen also got one stack.

Esp the 'waste' deposited at kitchen stack....smell comes and goes then comes... ,if not treated properly

Edited by bepgof

Hi,

I have similar problem - sewage smell in toilet, but can't detect actual location where it came from. My ID told me to pour bleach into the drainage holes (the cover with lots of small holes, no sure what it's called) for wait for a day. Seems not much improvement. Also bought and used drainage cover, which blocks the drainage with an additional internal cover. Seems to have improved abit although we are not so sure too.

So does pouring in hot water or bleach/detergent + hot water help? Do I pour inside the drainage holes or into the toilet bowl?

Thanks!

my old kitchen has this problem too although not so much of feces smell.. smelt like some rotten or dead animals and i realised our kitchen toilet is always mouldy..

when we couldnt take it anymore we re-did our kitchen cabinet and found out that instead of having pvc pipes for outlet of the sink to the drainage the old kitchen had this tunnel made out of the cement base..and this tunnel is linked to a 2nd one that allow water to flow in during floor washing.. and because the sink is located a distance away from the drainage this cement tunnels runs a long way.. which means whatever food that gets washed down the sink accidentally may remain inside the cement tunnel along the way.. and these will rot etc and the smell comes out from the other exit... kaoz.... :jawdrop:

now new kitchen no such problem !!:sport-smiley-018::sport-smiley-018:

my old kitchen has this problem too although not so much of feces smell.. smelt like some rotten or dead animals and i realised our kitchen toilet is always mouldy..

when we couldnt take it anymore we re-did our kitchen cabinet and found out that instead of having pvc pipes for outlet of the sink to the drainage the old kitchen had this tunnel made out of the cement base..and this tunnel is linked to a 2nd one that allow water to flow in during floor washing.. and because the sink is located a distance away from the drainage this cement tunnels runs a long way.. which means whatever food that gets washed down the sink accidentally may remain inside the cement tunnel along the way.. and these will rot etc and the smell comes out from the other exit... kaoz.... :jawdrop:

now new kitchen no such problem !!:sport-smiley-018::sport-smiley-018:

Wow never knew that

Every wash basin has a water trap in the piping below to keep out the sewage pipe smell. The stagnant water of the water trap can smell really bad over night. The first person to use the basin will flush the foul smelling water out into a bigger vertical drain pipe and the smell sometimes linger in the kitchen or bathroom. The only remedy is to close the floor drain. Most of the house already has that simple seal in the floor drain hole but if it is missing, just go buy one from NTUC or any hardware shop.