Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rice

2 Sisters Reno's Despair

Been reading some blogs and recommendation and thought I would start one as well especially since we are both in despair and helpless with our Contractor-ID way of doing things and the additional cost that he keeps on adding to our budget. It may not be helpful but just wanna share our super bad exp with his unprofessionalism and adding unnecessary stress to us.

We stay in an old condo and did renovation since there is too much repair works to do (tiling, ceiling leakage, laminate falling apart in carpentry) so we might as well do a major renovation. Expected completion is in another 3 weeks. It has been ongoing for 1 month. We rented a room during this process.

So far the only good thing that we encounter is helpful people from TOTO for our sanitary items despite the mistake being made by my contractor-ID and caused inconvenience to them. ( my id still dare to shout at the sales rep).

and 3T lighting at veerasamy road who supply us with all the lights - LED, down lights and ceiling light at a decent price ($10 per meter for LED strip and $18-25 for our downlights) good service and we got our ventilating KDK fan from them as well so we already built the trust with his helpful advise and suggestion (instead of our ID) he's been helpful with abrupt and last min requirement because of my ID bad Management and scheduling that cause us a lot of stress. Everyday tio spam and annoyed so can't wait to get it over soon!

Also got items from sim siang choon because ID brought us there and we weren't told so we happily shop thinking that it's quite cheap but also wart because the quality doesn't seem to be very good. And when I check renotalk, **** regret cuz the basin we got it there and saw review saying that it stain and rust easily :worried: but he already cut the hole so I can only pray now. Also got my water heater there RIMS and seems like it's abit more ex than other place again so I would discourage buying from there.

Edited by Rice

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

In your situation, my suggestion would be to prioritise.

1. First, to get the job completed as soon as possible. If there are parts of the work that can be excluded from your contractor/ID (most likely dry works such as wardrobe), exclude and do later.

2. For those works that need to be done now (most likely wet works such as tiling, plumbing, electrical etc), make sure they are done properly. Ask around if you are not sure. It is difficult to redo such works.

3. Try not to worry about the addtional costs that you have incurred. For example, Sim Siang Choon is not too bad a store. Of course, you can always get things at a cheaper price if you really hunt around, but generally their items are not too bad and price is not too expensive.

Edited by kstoh

• Like 1

Been reading some blogs and recommendation and thought I would start one as well especially since we are both in despair and helpless with our Contractor-ID way of doing things and the additional cost that he keeps on adding to our budget. It may not be helpful but just wanna share our super bad exp with his unprofessionalism and adding unnecessary stress to us.

We stay in an old condo and did renovation since there is too much repair works to do (tiling, ceiling leakage, laminate falling apart in carpentry) so we might as well do a major renovation. Expected completion is in another 3 weeks. It has been ongoing for 1 month. We rented a room during this process.

So far the only good thing that we encounter is helpful people from TOTO for our sanitary items despite the mistake being made by my contractor-ID and caused inconvenience to them. ( my id still dare to shout at the sales rep).

and 3T lighting at veerasamy road who supply us with all the lights - LED, down lights and ceiling light at a decent price ($10 per meter for LED strip and $18-25 for our downlights) good service and we got our ventilating KDK fan from them as well so we already built the trust with his helpful advise and suggestion (instead of our ID) he's been helpful with abrupt and last min requirement because of my ID bad Management and scheduling that cause us a lot of stress. Everyday tio spam and annoyed so can't wait to get it over soon!

Also got items from sim siang choon because ID brought us there and we weren't told so we happily shop thinking that it's quite cheap but also wart because the quality doesn't seem to be very good. And when I check renotalk, **** regret cuz the basin we got it there and saw review saying that it stain and rust easily :worried: but he already cut the hole so I can only pray now. Also got my water heater there RIMS and seems like it's abit more ex than other place again so I would discourage buying from there.

Hi Rice,

I can totally understand your frustration, During my Reno progress, my ID also seems to have problem with his scheduling. Make all our electronics and furnitures delivered when the renovation is not even done yet. Have to reschedule a lot of time with the outside people. They changed our lock and asked us to arrange the open net people to come but no contractor was in our house despite the time being 11 am. The Open net people kept calling us so we went to the house and tried to open the door but we were not even given the new key to our house. For some time, we saw no contractor came to do up our house. Despite the beginning to be quite fast, the later part of the reno dragged until very long. We also rented a room so we had to move in before all the reno was done. While those memories were indeed an unpleasant one and we wish for it to never happen again, I learn quite a few lesson:

1. We have to make clear of our preference and be firm with it. No matter what the ID try to drag or give lots of excuses to delay our reno (unless it's once in a while, unforeseen circumstances do happen) we have to let them know that they cannot keep dragging like this or just pay compensation for the rental that we have to extend. Check your house once in a while to make sure that there are people working (in my case reno was delayed because noone was even working in the house for some time)

2. Always check review, etc of the ID or contractor before you engage them. Do not be impulsive or lured just because the package looks very cheap ( guilty! :rolleyes: ) Because at the end, the additional charge can be more than the package itself. (but for my case, my ID is indeed not very calculative and give us free services)

3. If all the disappointment already happened, during the payment, maybe can ask them to cut the price or throw in some free services.

All in all, as long as your ID still come and take responsibility of their job, it is still okay. They may have taken too many jobs at the same time,and they have to liaise with many outside contractors and most of the time, the problem lies with those people they work with. So do not be despair, when your house is ready you can see all these hard work paid off :)

Hang in there!

Hiccups are bound to happen during renovation. But you have to be firm and be clear on what to expect.

In other words, read up and be informed. Ask around and talk to other ppls. You will learn alot and end up stronger and smarter! =)

Agree with what kstoh have said.

Do the required, cancel the others and can source from outside if needed.

Another thing to note is always do your own homework on the stuff you need to purchase so as to get a feel of the market price.

Good luck and hope things will go smoother

Don't despair!

Hearing your story makes me alil worried too.

Young and totally no experience or much knowledge about renovation. have started my homework since last year however still seem to be insufficient. hopefully everything turns out ok.

Just keeping my fingers cross too!

Don't despair!

Hearing your story makes me alil worried too.

Young and totally no experience or much knowledge about renovation. have started my homework since last year however still seem to be insufficient. hopefully everything turns out ok.

Just keeping my fingers cross too!

Agreed. I think sometimes it's really luck of the draw whether you get a competent ID/contractor no matter how much homework you do. Good luck Rice and do keep us updated Hang in there!

Take it easy! We are bound to meet with hiccups or problems during the renovation. I did very minimal renovation to the house and I spent around 5K+. I would say its not cheap if I were to see the things that were done but my renovation is a small project and hence, the contractor will definitely have to earn from somewhere. For a small project like mine, not many contractors will even want to take up in the first place!.

Hang in there! Cheers.