Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Puggy

Our Scandinavian Home

Hi everyone, long time lurker here deciding to give this T-blog a try in hopes that it will help time pass faster so that I can collect my keys sooner! I think I started lurking in this forum at least 1-2 years ago, reading up on people's t-blog and picking up advice here and there.

I hope to get my keys in July as HDB updated that PCD is end July 14, so July please come soon!

This is my floorplan.

Floorplan_1-page-001.jpg

As you can see, a pretty normal 5 room layout, except that the main door faces the kitchen, which I haven't seen elsewhere before. Apparently not common? Not sure.

Anyway I started researching on IDs back in the August last year because I was hoping to get keys earlier this year. But my development progress is slow. :(

Some of the IDs I met were:

1. That ***** - Was really impressed by a fellow renotalker who used this ID, so I contacted them for a meetup. Back then I was gearing more towards the industrial look so I was really looking forward to receive their quote. In the end, they didn't get back to me. Not sure if it was because my key collection date was super far away.

2. Random IDs through the renotalk request for quote thingy which I immediately ruled out upon meeting them because they mainly did those modern contemporary style which I didn't like at all and also because of language barrier.

3. Mr Foo from Custombox - Also another ID that I was really impressed with so arranged to meet him at his place (also Mschocobanana's place). Hit it right off the bat in the first meeting so I was really keen, plus he is bilingual so I didn't have to struggle to understand him. Sent me the quote right on time as well and I found his quote reasonable. So signed with Mr Foo!

Although back then I also heard of Mr K and Alan contractor, I didn't meet up with them, which on hindsight I think is a good thing because I don't think I would have the time to really check on the work and plus the recent mixed reviews.

When I first started out thinking about the kind of design for my house, I was thinking of a mix of industrial and Scandinavian with more focus on industrial. However, over the past few months, I am leaning more towards Scandinavian instead now, with a touch of industrial. Hence the title of this T-blog, Our Scandinavian Home. :D

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

So some of the works that I want to be done are:

1. Kitchen

- Hack the walls forming the kitchen entrance and replace with glass sliding door

- Bottom kitchen cabinets

- Butcher block kitchen top

- Cement support for sink area

2. Master bedroom

- Hack the wall between master bedroom and bedroom 2

- Wardrobe

- Door to be brought forward

3. Toilets

- Floor and wall to be cement screed/tiled

- Replace WCs and sinks

That's about the major works to be done. I am not a fan of built in cabinets or feature walls, hence minimizing the use of such things in the house. I am very particular about the bathrooms though. In fact, one of my habits is to check out the bathroom of a hotel/house to see how it looks like. So a nice bathroom is very important to me, don't think I can live with the HDB ones haha. :no:

Anyway, as clients of Mr Foo would know, he does not provide 3D drawing, so I will post some inspiration pictures to bring across an idea of what I hope my future house would look like. I will also post the stuff that I have slowly amassed over the months while waiting for key collection. :notti:

For the kitchen, I would say these two pictures most accurately depict how I would like my kitchen to look like.

kitchen2.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

In fact the first picture inspired me the most for my kitchen. Hence, I intend on using Ikea's butcher block for a butcher block kitchen counter top, a half subway tiled backsplash and I will be getting a stand-alone cooker.

Initially I was thinking of getting a cream Smeg fridge to complete the Scandinavian/vintage look, however after much thought and reading some reviews of the Smeg fridge online, I couldn't justify paying so much for a fridge that didn't seem to be very reliable. And also I had to revise my reno budget because after came back from honeymoon, quite broke liao.

I have bought/am ordering these appliances for my kitchen:

fisherandpaykelfridge.jpg

Fisher and Paykel fridge

AM95C61CX.jpg

Stove from La Germania

Edited by Puggy

For flooring, initially was considering cement screed for the industrial look, then got swayed by laminates because they made a house look cozier. Then I discovered vinyl tiles or HERF by Evorich. Wow, was really amazed by the texture of the tile when I stepped into Mr Foo's house, it looked so much like wood with all the grains, plus it was waterproof, so that's even better than laminates.

Mr Foo carried both Evorich by HERF and this other brand called Krono Decoria, which I had never heard before. But I was attracted to Krono Decoria because of the color they had and also because it was cheaper than Evorich. One day I saw that the company was going to be at some fair at Expo, so I went down to take a look. Because the rate was really attractive, I decided to sign with them for my flooring. The whole house excluding bathrooms will be Krono Decoria.

The two colors I was deciding between:

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

Right now I am leaning towards the gray because I think it would make the house look cozier. But I really wanted all white walls and white flooring, although I did find that the white looks a bit yellow. So still thinking about which color for my floor. Any advice? :dunno:

For flooring, initially was considering cement screed for the industrial look, then got swayed by laminates because they made a house look cozier. Then I discovered vinyl tiles or HERF by Evorich. Wow, was really amazed by the texture of the tile when I stepped into Mr Foo's house, it looked so much like wood with all the grains, plus it was waterproof, so that's even better than laminates.

Mr Foo carried both Evorich by HERF and this other brand called Krono Decoria, which I had never heard before. But I was attracted to Krono Decoria because of the color they had and also because it was cheaper than Evorich. One day I saw that the company was going to be at some fair at Expo, so I went down to take a look. Because the rate was really attractive, I decided to sign with them for my flooring. The whole house excluding bathrooms will be Krono Decoria.

The two colors I was deciding between:

IMG_2704.jpg

Right now I am leaning towards the gray because I think it would make the house look cozier. But I really wanted all white walls and white flooring, although I did find that the white looks a bit yellow. So still thinking about which color for my floor. Any advice? :dunno:

Welcome to RT & Mr Foo club. :good:

For flooring you got to see what kind of carpentry and furniture you will mostly be having.

It will be great to have some contrast as per suggested by Foo to me previously.

If just based on the above picture, I will go with the left.

Hope this help.

Welcome to RT & Mr Foo club. :good:

For flooring you got to see what kind of carpentry and furniture you will mostly be having.

It will be great to have some contrast as per suggested by Foo to me previously.

If just based on the above picture, I will go with the left.

Hope this help.

Thanks! I really can't wait to start my reno. Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

Yes I think Mr Foo will probably tell me to go with gray for contrast. The furniture I have shortlisted is mainly from Ikea, with lots of birch and white. Will do a post on that subsequently.

Thanks! I really can't wait to start my reno. Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

Yes I think Mr Foo will probably tell me to go with gray for contrast. The furniture I have shortlisted is mainly from Ikea, with lots of birch and white. Will do a post on that subsequently.

Welcome to Mr. Foo Club.

Please do take note of measurements and photos of big item for the house and discuss with Mr. Foo.

He will then offer his comment and advise on the feasibility, on colours, design etc.

Welcome to Mr. Foo Club.

Please do take note of measurements and photos of big item for the house and discuss with Mr. Foo.

He will then offer his comment and advise on the feasibility, on colours, design etc.

Thanks! Glad to be in the club! :D

Oops I think I'm really new to this reno process. Most of my home appliances I already bought. Errr I think I did mention to him I planned on getting a stand alone cooker when we first met, which I think should be the biggest difference compared to other people!

The darker shade is nice.... how much was Krono Decoria offering during the expo?

Thanks! I signed last year, so I think the price was around S$4.50-S$5 psf around there. Can't remember the exact figure now, need to go back to check, will update again later. I didn't take skirting though.

welcome to RT Puggy, I'm quite excited to see how your house turns out cos of your Scandinavian plus Industrial touch. We were also initially going for a mixed Scandinavian/Industrial look but ended up more Scandi instead. There are loads of inspiration on Pinterest for the Scandi theme, so you'll be spoilt for choice!

For the flooring, same as the rest I would go for the gray, it would suit your scandi theme to a tee.

Good luck and looking forward to your updates. :good:

wow...thats a very good price if it's $4.50...and the color is really nice...congrats..

It's S$4.80 psf without skirting!

welcome to RT Puggy, I'm quite excited to see how your house turns out cos of your Scandinavian plus Industrial touch. We were also initially going for a mixed Scandinavian/Industrial look but ended up more Scandi instead. There are loads of inspiration on Pinterest for the Scandi theme, so you'll be spoilt for choice!

For the flooring, same as the rest I would go for the gray, it would suit your scandi theme to a tee.

Good luck and looking forward to your updates. :good:

Thanks! Haha I started out wanting more industrial too, but then I started loving the look of Scandinavian more. Especially with all that white and wood. Thanks, pretty sure I will be going with the gray now. :)

One of the things I pondered over the most was the design of the bathroom. Initially I was eyeing those subway tiled bathroom designs because they fit the Scandinavian theme. But then I realized that tiling the bathrooms would cost quite a fair bit, so I started looking for alternatives. At the same time, I had also gotten back from a trip to Morocco, and I loved the architecture there (although not enough to make me reconsider my overall theme). Their houses were made of cement and a lot of intricately designed tiles, much like the Peranakan tiles that we have here, but on a more grander scale. So I was starting to think of cement screeding the bathroom, with perhaps a tiled floor or shower area.

Then I came across this picture, a novel way of creating a shower area without the usual glass shower screens:

IMG_2596.jpg

I was immediately sold on the idea. However when I showed Mr Foo, he said it would depend greatly on the amount of space available in the bathroom, which I agree. So this idea is in the backseat for now, but if it's really possible and doesn't cost a bomb, I would love to try this in one of the bathrooms. Otherwise, it would just be the normal glass shower screen, pretty much something like this which I saw on Home & Decor magazine:

IMG_3258.jpg

I also toyed with the idea of having these commercial kitchen sinks as the wash stand in the bathrooms, definitely very industrial looking.

Bathroomsink.jpg

But my ideal wash stand are these pedestal sinks, as I do not want cabinets at the sink area. The pole across at the bottom makes it ideal for hanging hand towels and it is definitely very Scandinavian. I don't know if they have these type of sinks in Singapore though. Although I haven't gone shopping for sanitary wares, nobody seems to use them, which makes me think that perhaps we don't have them after all!

pedestalsink.jpg