Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MiFTes

Led Down Lights = Confusion!

Went to the shop recommended by my ID last weekend and was going through their lights. Quoted me about $80 per downlight, 12w, made in taiwan. Supposedly good etc etc. But while going on my rounds along balestier another day, i realise that most of the shops have the led lights at a wide price range, can be from $20-70, some made in china, some taiwan, some with dimmer and some without.

Though of saving myself the hassle and just get it from the Shop and not risk the "trouble", as the supply and install are from the ID source. but the price seems to be on the high side. However, i was told that for LED with dimmer, it requires a better driver that will cost about $100 or more. Is it true? coz the one quoted by my ID's recommendation was with dimmer.

Totally confused. Rest of the lights are not so bad, coz i'm going by feel, what i like or not like, but LED downlights looks so simlar to me.. Generally based on the other lights, i managed to see the same lights offered about $10-20 difference for a $200-400 light.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

LED lights with dimmer are more expensive, but the advantage is obvious - you can fine tune the lighting level to your liking.

Be wary of cheap LED light fittings. As LED lights are a relatively new technology (compared to say fluorescent lights), many substandard factories in China produce rubbish LED lights that will not last long. Obviously, the better LED lights differentiate themselves from the rubbish ones by price. They are more expensive.

Please also double check in detail how each component is to be replaced when they need to be replaced.

THanks!

Ya... the different price range is making me see stars. Agree that the better ones will be more expensive.. but yet.. dun wish to get "slaughted" ... Saw the lights at Phyllux yesterday, the 13w with dimmer (phillips) is around $105, promo at $70 i think. .but limited numbers, and the sales dun really seems to know what she's talking about.

Think i will look around somemore...

It will really be useful to visit Tampoi Lighting In JB to compare the prices.

I find the listed prices there are truly about what-u-see-is what-u-get.

No hard selling.

I know a shop that sell each led downlight for 20 if buy 20 or more. Their 3 colour light is 38 only. Proclaimed to b from tw. Too bad I got my led from another shop at 28.90 liao.