Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Saru

5 Room Anchorvale Isles Renovation Journey

Late reply my bad - HK DN Daniel>>> HDB only need about around a week to approve the permit. I did not wait too long from what I remember. If you hire an ID - just set the budget and get them to worry about it for you - that's the reason what IDs are for - else better yet, if are they too new in the business, they learn when you keep pushing them!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi! Really like how your house is looking! Who is your ID?

Wow. First sort of praise in renotalk on the house - so thought my family's taste is not to other's liking. But personally am very happy with the house as it is very kids friendly - and happy a lot of people like it (especially kids) when they visited. Huge living area is a good choice after all.

ID is three-d co*.werk.

Quite expensive actually but budget was set a little higher as I wanted piece of mind for a minimum level worksmanship and accountability. And to have a younger ID with generally better taste (in our case was Serene) than your average Joe, to come in between my wife and I when we are at loggerheads for certain design aspects.

On hindsight, it was not perfect but I definitely avoided any type of nightmares talked about by friends and fellow renotalkers. Though you cannot escape the usual bull**** sometimes - which to me was irritating given my overly high expectations from the ID. Payment upfront before 3D rendering but somehow got a design simlar to other people that chose the same ID. So I guess the trick is to really know your own lifestyles, what designs you want, and further edit from the drawings/renderings and meet ups with ID. Nevertheless, super grateful for the patient ID as my wife and I can be quite anal and fickle sometimes. Other firms will never allow us to change our minds halfway on somethings regardless of whether a premium price was paid.

They are more known for industrial styles really. So if you like industrial styles and want to further explore, definitely go get a quotation.

Mine looks scandinavian but is more a "Muji Simple -Maintanance style" that adhered to fengshui principles for every space/direction/room. We hate clutter and wanted a huge living area instead of the popular walk-in-wardrobe or private study rooms. So the first room was changed to very thin but strong mild steel partitions to enlarge the room (vs. pre-existing thick concrete) and made with see-through tempered glass to make the space look bigger - can also observe kids playing when working in study room.

P.S. The house looks totally different now with our stuff put in. Our plan is only to invest in the mobile pieces of good furniture which we can easily move out if we relocate. Still need a second tv console to back the sofa and a few designer chairs but so low on cash for now :( even thinking of doing fengshui tips consultation for people on the side to make a quick buck

Hi Saru,

Your home is beautiful!!

Can you share the price of your sofa and where you bought it from?

Thanks!

Thanks. Nice to hear it at the start of the year! Sofa from Commune and featured regularly on magazines. It is on latest Dec issue of Sq Rms magazine (one of the key showcase projects) .

Cheapest leather sofa you can ever get locally, with free delivery, at slightly over $2k. Despite what they say I think it's PU leather rather than full leather, which suits me fine as our weather does not suit real full leather. A must if you like leather sofa and taking good care of it till it gets the old leather shiny sheen look. Not the neighbourhood "italian ones" that will tear/rip fast. With some maintenance done every half year should be looking good I hope?

Your home makeover gives me the feeling of a slightly distinct japanese style except that if your home had those japanese shoji sliding doors instead of the mild steel partition, it will definitely be more pronounced in the modern-japanese style.

Muji doesn't even come close to describing your house style considering that Muji gives me the feeling of a low cost 'thrift' store ambiance :lol:

Your home makeover gives me the feeling of a slightly distinct japanese style except that if your home had those japanese shoji sliding doors instead of the mild steel partition, it will definitely be more pronounced in the modern-japanese style.

Muji doesn't even come close to describing your house style considering that Muji gives me the feeling of a low cost 'thrift' store ambiance :lol:

You are right. But my wife is Japanese so get the comment my house is a Muji Japanese childcare center because of the partition door and her choice of soft furnishings/cutlery/cooking.

hi saru, may i know where and how much u bought ur bathtub for? thanks :)

Because Anchorvale Isles has the smallest Master Bathroom in Sengkang/Punggol, IMO ( 2.6m x 1.7m), I had to get the smallest tub in the market.

1370mm Hydrabath tub - Anyone over 162cm in height would not be able to full stretch out their legs comfortably. I could have tried for a 1450mm tub but ID was not confident and I may risk hitting the walls (1700mm minus walls and build up about 1500mm left only and tub needs 30-50mm each end)? I got an uncanny feeling this information is bull and the ID made some money or convenience bringing me to the bathroom boutique in Balestier road? But let's give ID the benefit of doubt as it's good to be on the safe side (though other shop should have other sizes that might fit and do a product exchange if it does not fit)

If only I have >1.75m toilet size like everyone!

But the bathtub is great for bathing toddlers. And my wife being Japanese, just GOT TO HAVE A BATHTUB - no negotiation.

She is not as tall so fits her okay.

This bathtub is affordable at $650*. Don't think should spend more than $900 for one and there should be many choices at below $1000. Don't go for branded ones because most Singaporeans don't use their bathtub often to justify the expenditure. Actually a 50 degrees Celsius hot water soaking for the feet each day does wonders to health. Side by side with the wife while drinking Ocha = Even better. It does helps the resale value pitch if I want to sell the house later.

Tip: Pair with Ikea battery tea candle lights ($2-$3 only for 4 and put them in translucent cups/see-through cups) for a romantic bath experience without burning down the house with real tea lights.

*prepare to get "carrot-head" for ordinary installation accessories for the plumber to install bathtub - about $25-$50. If you want a better deal, I did research on renotalk and many recommended 1-2 common places for sanitary fittings (esp toilet bowl). Go for it! Alternatively you can discuss with your contractor to give you a bonus build by building a bathtub out of concrete somehow? I knew a young couple did it this way when I was shopping for a resale flat Block 248. Super small tub but deep one - but outside the toilet is open walk-in-wardrobe full of mould and musty smells.

Edited by Saru

You are right. But my wife is Japanese so get the comment my house is a Muji Japanese childcare center because of the partition door and her choice of soft furnishings/cutlery/cooking.

Wife said not Muji.

Maybe Sarasa?

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/sarasa-designstore/

Now is good time to go Japan. The Yen will fall further this month.

Will be almost $1 = 100 Yen unlike that days I chased my wife was $1.70 = 100 Yen.

Life is unfair, huh.

Tip:

Joseph Joseph is less than half price in Japan if housewives out there want to shop in japan. Just buy from Rakuten and ship to your hotel.

30% of Robinsons' prices to be exact. Local dept stores are a rip off. Just don't buy high wattage electronics (ovens/grills) as even with transformers, the stuff I brought over do not work at 100%.

You've mentioned your wife is a Japanese earlier in your thread. I can see she has incorporated her style in the home interior design. I like this because it has a soothing feel.

If you have lace curtains with or without patterns hanging on the mild steel partition, it will be a softer and reminiscent feel of 80s vintage style.

About bathtub, the smallest bathtub in a hotel I've seen is at the APA hotel in Hiroshima! But really cute design as it is in the shape of a egg

Show you a picture of their bathtub here. The tap is shared between the tub and wash basin as you can see & sitting in it will remind you of the olden days in japan where people bathed in a wooden circular tub?

15389262.jpg

Wife said not Muji.
Maybe Sarasa?

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/sarasa-designstore/

Now is good time to go Japan. The Yen will fall further this month.

Will be almost $1 = 100 Yen unlike that days I chased my wife was $1.70 = 100 Yen.

Life is unfair, huh.

Tip:
Joseph Joseph is less than half price in Japan if housewives out there want to shop in japan. Just buy from Rakuten and ship to your hotel.

30% of Robinsons' prices to be exact. Local dept stores are a rip off. Just don't buy high wattage electronics (ovens/grills) as even with transformers, the stuff I brought over do not work at 100%.

Edited by BunBun

Bun Bun - your photo reminded me of my wife and my horror of installing bathtubs in HDB units - The Mixer!

Dainty flair please take note:

Because you cannot hack BTO toilets or want to waste money digging out the pipes to adjust the height - The mixer will have to pour from a height of 1m? Maciam waterfall blasting down. We we are used to it now since there is no choice. Bear in the find the choice mixer should allow the flow to hit into the bathtub (not the sides) properly - else lots of splashes!

Edited by Saru

I thought the mixer tap is usually installed slightly above the tub, kinda like the standard ones besides having a shower hose used in hotels? For this bathtub at APA hotel that I mentioned, the tap is shared between the wash basin and bathtub. The tap as you can see has a long spout and movable that you can swivel left and right to use above the tub or at the basin.

Bun Bun - your photo reminded me of my wife and my horror of installing bathtubs in HDB units - The Mixer!

Dainty flair please take note:

Because you cannot hack BTO toilets or want to waste money digging out the pipes to adjust the height - The mixer will have to pour from a height of 1m? Maciam waterfall blasting down. We we are used to it now since there is no choice. Bear in the find the choice mixer should allow the flow to hit into the bathtub (not the sides) properly - else lots of splashes!

Yes slightly above. But you see HDB already has the pipes built-in as indicated by blue/red tapes before reno. You cannot hack BTO toilet to change that, unless you want to extend pipes outside and downwards. So i stuck with having the mixer higher. Thankfully it works okay

(Before renovation)

IMG_8715.jpg

After renovation - replaced with an awesome mixer but has to be at same height
photo.jpg
Edited by Saru