Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Wanted an opinion. We are building an attic as A/A to our corner terrace. The back of the house faces an open field serounded by trees. Does it seem weird to have the open terrace at the attic the back of the house instead of front ?

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wanted an opinion. We are building an attic as A/A to our corner terrace. The back of the house faces an open field serounded by trees. Does it seem weird to have the open terrace at the attic the back of the house instead of front ?

Is your property a "Rear Garden" or "Front Garden" ?

• Like 1

Guess you have to factor in the orientation of your house.

My opposite neighbor built their attic with back terrace because their house is facing west, the afternoon sun.

They just have a dormer window for the front, so it does not look weird from the front.

Their terrace is facing a huge monsoon drain, FYI.

I think you still need proper submission. i heard of cases that owner just engage experience buidler to do extension so as to avoid paying all the bca & ura submssion cost.

Hi,

If the building is facing west, then certainly the open terrace should be placed at the back. It wouldn't matter much if a dormer window is added to the roof at the front or not. A roof would look weird only if its profile does not match the look of the building, in terms of proportion, its shape, the pitch of it, material used etc. And add enough height to the attic roofing structure to maximum shading of the open terrace from the afternoon sun.

I am not a fan of dormer window, because I haven't seen a nicely constructed dormer window in Singapore yet, viz-a-viz those you could see in Europe. I prefer installing the Velux skylight window where an opening is needed for an attic roof. It flushes with the roof line (therefore limiting the amount of sunlight getting through when the day is at the hottest hours), it comes with double-glazed glass panels (therefore reducing heat), it comes with a in-built blind (therefore looking neater, without hanging rack for curtain or blind in the case of dormer window).

If the building is facing north or south, then it matters none whether the open terrace is at the front or the back.

To add. The function of an open terrace is pretty much to encourage outdoor community activity (by the building occupants or visitors), so its role is more obvious for a Terraced house. For semi-d or CT, normally there is enough space at the ground level for such activity. The cost of adding an attic, in term of $psf based on the incremental GFA, is much higher when compared with the other storey's.

Just my 2-cents thoughts.

Cheers!