Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Asking4Help

Leather Sofa Recommendations...

Hi guys,

may I know the difference between a full leather / synthetic leather / half leather sofa?

does it mean that full leather is = Italian leather? & over 2 - 3 years, will the above 3 types of leather have a sink spot where seated? or this does not apply to full leather..?

Pop by Star Living to take a look @ their sofa, looks quite ok to me... What type of leather does you guys normally use & any recommendations on which shop to get from? thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi guys,

may I know the difference between a full leather / synthetic leather / half leather sofa?

does it mean that full leather is = Italian leather? & over 2 - 3 years, will the above 3 types of leather have a sink spot where seated? or this does not apply to full leather..?

Pop by Star Living to take a look @ their sofa, looks quite ok to me... What type of leather does you guys normally use & any recommendations on which shop to get from? thank you.

Hi

Asking4Help

Full leather sofa means the whole set including the seating area, side and the back of the sofa are made of genuine leather.

Full leather does not necessary mean Italian leather. Many companies in SIN always said their leather are from Gruppo Mastrotto. This is an Italian company that process and tan leather. They source leather from worldwide, not only from Italy but also leather from other countries. Thus, leather from this company does not mean it's Italian leather although it's an Italian company. They also have a plant in Indonesia. Here's the link about this company

http://www.mastrotto.com/en/gruppo-mastrotto-worldwide/

Half leather sofa means, ONLY the seating area are genuine leather. The side and back of the sofa are using synthetic leather.

Synthetic leather mean man-made leather aka 'fake' leather. They are PVC, PU, PU soft, bycast...etc and many other names they can think of

Sink spot mean sofa foam sagging dot nothing to do with the leather. Genuine leather only get 'seasoned'

Which ever shop you going to buy from, if they tell you this Italian leather, please ask them write down on your invoice and indicate 'çowhide' leather not just Italian leather cos Italian leather could also mean Italian synthetic leather :notti:

This is what I know about leather, hope it helps. Happy shopping!

Thanks woodywood, appreciate the info that you've provided. Do you have any reliable shops in mind for me to shop from..? :D

Most furniture shops in SIN sell leather sofa, most importantly, you must be comfortable buying from them. For me, I always look out for these things.

1) quality - know what you paying for

2) price - must be reasonable to my budget

3) design - to suit my style

4) transparency - if the products is from China or Italy, just tell me the truth. Don lie to me!

don't be fooled by some of the synthetic leather sofas! you'll be amazed how real some of them can feel and look, sometimes even smell!

Prices vary a lot, so it'll help if you could provide us with your budget? And have you decided whether you want full leather, synthetic or a mix?

Thanks again to both of ya for the info... prob looking @ a budget of $3k+- see what it is available... going to drop by Lorenzo to take a look @ their furniture as well... :D

Thanks again to both of ya for the info... prob looking @ a budget of $3k+- see what it is available... going to drop by Lorenzo to take a look @ their furniture as well... :D

Saw and ad last week, OM was advertising a leather sofa for less than 3K, says it is made in Italy.

Other than genuine leather, synthetic leather and half leather there is something called bonded leather. They are not same as synthetic leather and looks and smells astonishingly similar to genuine leather but they are of lower quality. They are actually made of leftover leather which means they are actually leather but very cheap in cost. It is very hard to find the difference between a genuine leather and bonded leather but durability of bonded leather is very low compared to genuine one. Read about how genuine leather is better than bonded leather in this article. Customers may get attracted to the cheap rate but they may not be aware about the difference. Even many retailers are not known of bonded leather.

Thanks guys for yr replies... & also SamTheMan: think I saw your 2 years ago reply in a thread regards to different tiers of furniture retailers, pretty helpful to me...:)

Probably drop by this weekend to take a look @ OM as well... :sport-smiley-018:

You can try <LINK REMOVED>, i've personally got my sofa from them and i'm loving it! 100% Genuine leather!

They do customize furniture & stuff so you guys can drop by their store . But i think you have to make an appointment with them! Cheers.