Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aluka

5 Rm Resale Dream Home Project Strathmore

Welcome to my first post in Renotalk forum. I have been a silent observer for about 1 month ever since we put in an option to buy our new home in resale market.

First of all a quick introduction:

This is our second home purchase, but first attempt to be part of the renotalk forum. Our first home purchase was more than 8 years ago. At that time, we never had an idea about these forums etc. (So ignorant!). Hopefully being informed will help us!

Timelines:

1st appointment: mid July 2014

Sale completion: end Aug 2014

We are going to get our keys in end Aug. So as advised by friends here in this forum, I'm now looking to start talking to IDs who can come up with good ideas at reasonable prices.

I will soon upload my initial criteria for reno and floor plan soon.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Time to upload my floor plan.

But I am unable to upload my floor plan - Any help?

Now the discussion on what type of reno to go for - contemporary, classic, modern, retro, Scandinavian etc. etc.

Have not much clue on the types.. Any friends out there who can help me understand in simple language?

Thanks in advance.

You can try google these themes and see how they are like.

If you are not sure what theme you like, you can search online and some sites have these quiz which you take and see what kind of theme suits you.

• Like 1

After much thought, we have come-up with a wish list of items for reno. Even though the unit is not bad in it's current scheme, since we intend to live-in there for long, we are thinking if we need to go for a full reno and move-in or save $ in reusing something in it's current state. For eg. when i look the kitchen, it looks almost new and good. So there are lots of decisions to take. Hopefully we manage to discuss these things productively with ID and come-up with a cost effective yet refreshing solution.

So here's below our wish list:

1. SCHEME: Predominantly white based

2. Doors in white

3. Neutral colors

4. No TV in living room!

5. Digital Lock

6. White lighting

7. Storage:

a. Books, Golf bag, shoes, other storage & display cupboard in living

b. Cutlery cupboard in dining

8. Ceiling:

a. Change false ceiling pattern to only L-Box in Living with downlights in Living

b. Remove false ceiling in master bedroom

9. Ceiling fans in all rooms

10. Aircon in living (presently have aircon in bedrooms only)

11. Flooring–

a. Living: Granite or NOT!?

b. Bedrooms: Parquet or Tiles

12. Barcounter to retain (Decision?)

13. Kitchen

a. To RENO or NOT (decision to take)

b. Inbuilt Oven and Grill

c. New Washing Machine & Dryer (Decision to take) or use current one

d. Door for kitchen

e. Window Grills can remove (?)

14. Reuse some existing furniture like Dining Table, King Size Bed, L-Sofa, Single Bed

15. Toilets:

a. Total Renovation

b. Quality Sanitary Ware like TOTO, Bravat,

c. Quality Taps & Systems: Grohe

d. Master toilet: Dry & Wet

e. Common toilet: Wet (decision)

16. Rooms:

a. Master Bedroom: Wardrobe & Dressing

b. Bed1: Wardrobe, Bookshelf & Study Table

c. Bed2 (Study): Wardrobe, Workdesk-cum-TV with a guest single sofa-bed

17. Toilet door & Bed2 door reposition (Decision?)

18. Budget Estimate

Whao! So much.

Hi anyone out there, who already researched the best places to buy tiles.

Is Hafary more expensive say Soon Bee Huat? Any other suggested places to check out?

I chose at Hafary, it's so big already.. Maybe you shld check both as a lot of nice looking tiles at $3 is always oos..

Today, we did a preliminary visit to get an idea of choosing tiles for our home.

Here's a quick summary:

1) Hafary @ Eunos Ave 3: Extensive collection. Lots of designs. We got lost . Most were pricey. Starting range for tiles were above $7 except for one section where they had $6 (China made) and below. Conclusion: Maybe their target here is for wealthy and high-heeled customers.

2) Hafary @ TradeHub 21, Jurong East: Good collection (not so much so that you get lost). Affordable range - although got a some high range ones. Their price range was reasonable. $4 - $7 for tiles, $12-15 for marbles (ofcourse got high end one above that), and $15 and above for granites. The sales person told me that they carry the tiles range which are usually fast moving. Conclusion: If you want to see affordable and popular designs without wasting much time, go here.

3) Soon Bee Huat @ Toh Guan Road East: Extensive collection. Lots of designs similar to Hafary @ Eunos Ave 3. But better lay out & segregation of areas such as outdoor, indoor, feature walls, etc., so you don't get lost. Price seems to be better than Hafary for few; for few more expensive (we didn't look into minute details at this time, since this was our first visit. I especially liked some designs of tiles @ $3 range some marbles @ $8 and granite @ $6-10 range. Conclusion: if we like the designs we may end up buying here. Unless we don't see any other..

4) Another friend in Renotalk recommended Huatong88 Pte Ltd @ Katong Shopping Center, in Mountbatten Road. But when we went there – there was no such shop!

Edited by aluka

• Like 1