Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aluka

5 Rm Resale Dream Home Project Strathmore

IMO you should narrow down to a few ID/contractors you would like to work with. They can be base on hear say, renotalk, friends etc.

There is no point to mass email IDs and expect them to revert exactly to your needs. Some may not be able to understand what you need.

To be fair to them as well, they cant afford to spend hours on one quote unless there are chances for confirmation.

So selectively meet up with some IDs and discuss about what you want and get a more accurate quote.

At the same time, you can have a feel of the ID and see if there is a chemistry or on the same frequency.

Once you have narrow down to 1 or 2, you can invite them to visit your new place when you get the keys.

From there a clearer picture will be presented to all. Certain features are not shown on the floor plan.

Eg, Beams, pipes, drop etc and these will play a huge part in designing. Things you think may fit might not be feasible afterall.

From my experience, trust and communication is very important between you and ID.

It paves the way for a smooth reno. Also the contract you signed on, will not be the final one.

Main reason is that as reno progress, more ideas will flow in, better design will surface as well.

That is when a good ID comes in and work his magic. Generally, no ID will be lead along and focus much until the project is on.

I have a great reno experience, though it took very long (not ID's fault) and almost everything turns out the way I wanted. :good:

Thanks OceanEleven for the detailed reply. We are shortlisting max 4-5 IDs to have detailed discussion.

Initially knowing which ID's to meet is a big challenge as they all ask you to come down to meet them in their showroom. We don't have the luxury of time to visit 10-15 ID's.

I wish to engage only those IDs who have shown interest in doing business with me. I asked the IDs who called me to simply email me; not detailed proposal matching exact proposal. I gave them a basic download of what I wanted including my floor plan (because that's what most people ask) and asked them to respond. Many didn't even bother send me an email. Is sending an email such a waste of time? I also sent few of them a reminders. Again no reply! Do you think I need to go back those who don't show interest in business?

We also don't have time to meet all the IDs in-person and sit with each of them for 1 hour and explain. That's why I asked them for a first cut response for me to choose who to meet.

I think sharing "real" experiences of home owners in this forum like Renotalk will help others who are trying to figure out where to start. I say "real" because I find some IDs and agents posing as homeowners recommending their firms in this forum.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Uploading photos (Thanks to a Renotalk friend's advise):

OK, I must remember to do it this way :

1. Sign in

2. Go to Gallery (if unsure, go to T-blogs and go via Pinned How to post photos post

3. When in gallery, choose category on RHS

4. At bottom, can see "Choose photo" or something like that. Click it, will take you to your PC, choose yr photo folder

5. Select yr photo. It uploads. Done.

6. To load that photo into a post in an existing or new thread, click to open new post window

7. Go via another window (that's how I do it) to the gallery category where I uploaded that photo, select that photo

8. Click on Options (it's a black box) on RHS

9a. Choose and copy the Image Link code.

10a. Go to your posting window and select the Image icon (above the box where you write your stuff), and then Paste the code into the little box that appears.

Your photo appears!

I post this here for reference cause I always forget how to do it.

• Like 2

Since this week, started receiving quotations from IDs/Contractors. :jawdrop: Quite a bomb!

Variance also quite huge. Minimum quote received is $40K. Max is $65K.

Quote were excluding electrical, whitegoods, sanitary and kitchenware. If I include all these items, I am afraid, my reno budget will cross $75k.

Now time for analysis of the quotes, cut down fancy items and choosing the right ID/Contractor at the right price. Phew! :huh:

Since this week, started receiving quotations from IDs/Contractors. :jawdrop: Quite a bomb!

Variance also quite huge. Minimum quote received is $40K. Max is $65K.

Quote were excluding electrical, whitegoods, sanitary and kitchenware. If I include all these items, I am afraid, my reno budget will cross $75k.

Now time for analysis of the quotes, cut down fancy items and choosing the right ID/Contractor at the right price. Phew! :huh:

List out the work needed to be done and slowly cancel out the wants to reduce the work done.

For some carpentry, you can consider getting the ready made kind from outside.

Hope this help

• Like 1

List out the work needed to be done and slowly cancel out the wants to reduce the work done.

For some carpentry, you can consider getting the ready made kind from outside.

Hope this help

Since it's a resale, I need to do the kitchen, and 2 toilets - it is a must. then new flooring for living & bedrooms is also a must; that it is only woodwork **** (full length), master wardrobe and 1 bedroom wardrobe only. I am not touching anything in bed2. I am bringing most of my furniture like sofa, dining table, bed frames, fridge, washing machine etc etc.So not sure if i can cut down. only thing is compromise on quality - but that would result in not so good long term...

For ours we redid 2 toilets, kitchen and 2 bedrooms + floorings there. Hacked one wall to combine rooms. We have wiw and study, shoe rack, toilet vanityx2 side tables in mbr and feature tv wall that set us back 37 k we using le grand switches whole house. What is your theme? 75k is for very elaborate and designed work...

• Like 1

WC RESEARCH REPORT:

Since there is not much information available in Renotalk blog and forums on the choice of sanitary products - WCs and Toilets, available in the market, I decided to do a research. After spending few days of my time in going around and visiting various shops, I have compiled below some of my research in WC and toilet products (1 piece models only):

Jalan Besar area:

I started visiting the shops in traffic direction from Lavender Street.

1. Poh Joo Hardware, 389 Jalan Besar (opp. Lavender Square):

My first stop. Brands they carry & promote are mostly Clayton only. Clayton prices seem to be on the cheaper side. But models don't inspire much. Also they carry other brands like Arino but very limited choice and price seems to be more expensive than others for such brands.

2. Hupfarri Bathroom, 255, Jalan Besar.

My second stop. Nice, big showroom carrying primarily OTTO products. The staff are knowledgeable and able to explain the products in detail. But pricing is at a premium. For eg., a model like 7030 WC, the price quoted is $599 inclusive of a $300 FREE basin. Mind you - some decent basins cost $350 here; so you need to top-up another $50. Man, use this showroom to learn about the products and buy somewhere!

Warning: Be careful - as some models are P-trap only with exposed back; not be suitable for HDB's, unless you use a converter. You will still have to live with the exposed back.

3. Fullsun Marketing, 146, Jalan Besar

3rd stop after third time! Don't get it right? They are like an Corporate office. Work only on weekdays. No weekend service. So I had to come here 3rd time. Please ensure you visit them only on weekdays and office hours only. Premium products right - you have to bear it!

They market TOTO products. Well need not say much. Basic models start at $850 and move upwards of $1100 for decent ones.

Ofcourse they claim to give you 20% discount on the list prices mentioned above. Also bear in mind, most of their models only cater to P-trap WC's; so not really suitable for poor HDB cousin's (like me!) unless you opt for converter to fit in the existing floor type S-trap's in HDB's. With being not comfortable with this converter stuff, I decided to walk out of the showroom.

With my dreams of doing my stuff on a luxurious TOTO smashed, I decided to take a break and have a humble Nasi Briyani and Teh Halia to refreshen in Little India.

4. GR Link Marketing, 155 Jalan Besar (just opp Fullsun)

I have read enough about them from Renotalk especially the very sweet lady and Uncle Ben, the owner.

Brightly lit showroom, although much smaller than Hupfarri and Fullsun; products are neatly arranged. Friendly service and lots of advice.

Models that impressed me here are:

1. Baron WC 888 (1 piece) with Geberit flush - 10 years warranty $389

2. Inspire 6081 (1 piece) with Geberit flush - 10 years warranty $399

3. OTTO Mercury (1 piece) - 10 years warranty $350

Add $68 and get a wash basin from the available choices. As usual, available choices don't impress me and I then see something that needs top up of $120.

5. Eng Soon Huat Hardware Merchant Pte Ltd 140 Jalan Besar, Next to Fullsun

Not friendly service; not so much variety. Carry few Otto, Inspire, baron & one more chines brand (Caroma or Carona). I took note of the models and moved on quickly.

6. Poh Seng Hardware Enterprise, 153, Jln Besar (just next to GR Link Marketing)

ALL prices here are inclusive of GST. Very experienced Uncle – Mr. Seah Boon Seng.

Prices seem to be cheaper than GR Link Marketing.

Models suggested by him:

1. Arino Caprio WC with Geberit (1 piece) new model where the top flushing system cover is invisible) with heavy duty seat cover $320

2. Treo T200 WC with Geberit (1 piece) - with a nice oblong shape; looks really nice. But more expensive than Arino Caprio. $380

7. Royal Fanco, 135 Jalan Besar

Highly recommended by many people in Renotalk;

Small showroom; cramped; not much on display; price seems to be cheapest especially if you go for package deal ie., WC+Basin.

Models suggested:

Baron (830x370x700) SINGLE PIECE $399 with basin

With slim seat cover add $30

Magnum (640x360X780) Single Piece with new slim seat cover – same price.

The slim seat cover was very impressive. No other shop seems to have that.

8. Ideal Merchandise, Block 808, French Road, #02-21

Had a big difficulty to locate this shop. It is above NTUC.

Specialize in Bidet primarily for Toto, Bravat and other high end models. Approx cost $350 for a bidet.

Not much focus on selling WC's. More interested in pricing a bundle offering of Bidet+WC.

Geylang/Tanjong Katong:

9. Hoe Kee, Tanjong Katong Plaza

Carry mainly their inhouse brand Roz. Didn't see the designs to be modern and contemporary. So left the shop quickly and headed to Geyland Road.

10. Wasserbath, Geylang Road

WC’s : only deal with IXIS brand; supplied to many private condo project; Offer for GSS period $599 with Basin.

WC's look decent and nice. Not heard of this brand much.

11. Heritage Bathroom, Geylang Road

Carry Toto Brand. Prices are very competitive for Toto. (seems better than Fullsun); but no display.

Suggested models:

Inspire 6081 WC (1 piece) with Geberit ($320). Most competitive price.

Baron 888 WC (similar to Inspire 6081) was $290. Again most competitive price.

12. Universal Union: not so impressive. not much knowledge from staff to explain.

13. Bath.z.o.n.e (don't why I can't use the original shop name; it says as spam!): I give it a miss. - too tired leh!

Not visited from original list:

14. Bathroom Warehouse, Changi

Guess, this gives you an idea of where/what to shop.. Happy shopping! :thumbs up:

Some picture links:

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_62270_450_257645.jpg

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_62270_450_223490.jpg

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_62270_450_174823.jpg

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_62270_450_194220.jpg

Edited by aluka

• Like 5

Most of us got our bathroom stuff (Toilet Bowl & Sink - Combo) from Heritage / Royal Fanco.

Other bathroom accessories are from TaoBao

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi aluka, very detailed list u got there. My vote goes to heritage and RF too. I was initially very attracted to the bathroom warehouse place in changi, their advertised prices are so attractive. But just too far for me.

• Like 1