Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
deltay

Is This Main Door Secure?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can point out if this wooden door (my HDB house main door) is secure or not? As you can see from the picture, when the door is closed, the gap between the swing door and the fixed flap is so big that we can see the internal lock.

door_gap1.jpg door_gap2.jpg

One only needs to cut/saw off this exposed internal lock to break this big wooden door and enter into the house. I really think that the security of this door is really easily compromised that way. For a properly installed wooden door, usually this internal lock will be hidden by the fixed flap side.

We tried re-tightening the hinges to make the swing door align better with the fixed flap, but it still can't solve this problem. Do you think we should replace the main door altogether? Or is there anything we can do to save it?

really appreciate any help. Thank you!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Well, ur metal grill with a padlock should secure ur home before anyone has access to the wooden door.

Anyway, by drilling and cutting the wood around the latch on the small leaf panel will easily gain access..

thanks for responding!

that's exactly my concern! cutting the fixed flap (small leaf panel) that conceal the internal lock will be the first deterrant to break-in, then only they will have to cut the internal lock/latch. but in my door case, it's obvious right from the start to just cut the metal internal lock/latch without having to cut the wood first at all :dunno:

will definitely have padlock on the iron gate, but would really want to focus on the main door problem and fix it to avoid easier break-in in the case that the iron gate and everything else fail. it's not really comforting to just let my house main door in the current compromised state, while all my neighbours' main doors are properly done and do not have such exposed internal lock appearance. :help:

My main wooden door looks like deltay's but I am not too concern.

Like GMC said, the need to first breach your metal door grill before they can work on your wooden door. And they don't need to cut.

When I was working in construction industry (some 20+ years ago), we normally get into a lock house by the window. Windows are much easier to be compromise. So now, all my windows must have grill (especially those along the corridor).